PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any thing 'bad' to say about ASV products?

Hummer
02-05-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm seriously considering the purchase of an ASV RC-100 and I'm doing as much research as I can about them considering my current physical location (Middle East). The primary use for the RC-100 would be for use with a Fecon Bull Hog in brush clearing after I get back home to Missouri this spring.

Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge or experience with the RC-100 that they could share with me? I want to hear both the 'bad' stuff and the 'good' stuff about them.

Likewise, if you have anything to say about the Fecon Bull Hog, that would be fine too.

Thanks!

Digdeep
02-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Hummer,

Welcome to forum. I sold the "white" machines for 8 years, and now work in the landscaping side of things. I still own a skid, but I bought an RC50 from my ASV dealer and have been very happy with it. IMHO i think that ASV makes a great product due to their focus on rubber tracked machines. They don't make anything else to draw their attention away. I would say that other manufacturers have better looking cabs, but I'm mainly interested in performance. It is in this area of performance where ASV excels. You can tell when you operate the machine that it was intended to be a track loader from the ground up, not a skid steer chassis put onto an aftermarket undercarriage, this is evident in the ground clearance, climbing, engine size matched to machine weight, balance front to rear, engine size matched to hydraulic flow, etc. I know for a fact that ASVs hydraulic power is superior to Bobcats highflow (I sold them), and I feel strongly that it superior to the others on the basis of having enough net engine hp to meet the demands of running a mulcher, driving the tracks, and performing multifunctions with the loader arms (up/down/curl) all at the same time without bogging the machine down and losing mulching head drum speed. I have spoken to many brushclearing folks that say that the RC100 is the best machine for land clearing for these reasons. the CAT would be the second choice, but I've heard some reports of the engine compartment getting clogged with mulching debris because the engine bay air is sucked in from right over the tracks just behind the cab causing fires in some instances. I haven't seen this myself,but most guys up here in Wisconsin are running RC100s for brush clearing. I also think you need to find out who your local dealer is because it makes a big difference on the type of product support you will get, CAT, ASV, Bobcat, or anyone else. Good luck in your purchase.

YardPro
02-05-2006, 05:42 PM
guy here has rc100 for landclearing and loves it..

Tigerotor77W
02-05-2006, 08:08 PM
The undercarriage won't stand up as well as rigid UCs in rocky or high-impact conditions. I'm afraid I don't have a specific example, but it is fairly widespread that users in high-impact environments haven't seen the life that they'd like out of their suspended UCs.

Itsgottobegreen
02-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Yea I got something bad to say about ASV

I DON'T OWN ONE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry: :cry: :cry:

Other wise know. Personally would want a cat tracked skid, but not at the price you pay. So the ASV is the poor mans verison for basically the same machine with out the all the little goodies.

UNISCAPER
02-06-2006, 01:00 AM
We run in Rock, DG, soil and rock all day every day. We still have the original track/under carraige on our first 257B, (1632 hours) while the rental store who has a huge Bobcat fleet is very hard pressed to get 1000 hours out of his tracks. trashing tracks on a suspended underacaraige is on the operator. Once you learn how to do what you need to do, they will outperform any rigid frame on the market. If you treat them like a skid steer, or like a rigid framed machine, you will trash the tracks prematurely, that's a given.

dccarling
02-06-2006, 11:41 AM
I did a lot of research before buying the RC-100. Looking at all and then it eventually came down to either the CAT 287B or the ASV RC-100. I heard CAT has super dealer/service support and they did have better financing deals at the time however, CAT does not make a machine that has the power, speed or capacity of the ASV. No problems or regrets.

Hummer
02-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the great replies & information everyone! I'm soo anxious to get home to Missouri and go check out the machine in person at a local dealer in St. Louis.

Does anyone know if the rubber tracks get damaged by the 'stubs' left sticking up from the ground after trees have been cut off by a Fecon Bull Hog or similar carbide cutter?

Thanks,

Rory

UNISCAPER
02-07-2006, 12:51 AM
I think if I was going to look at an ASV RC-100 I would just go with a Cat 939 and be done with it.

Tigerotor77W
02-07-2006, 09:15 AM
I think if I was going to look at an ASV RC-100 I would just go with a Cat 939 and be done with it.

:laugh: but the 939 can't run attachments like the RC100 can... and its undercarriage isn't even suspended! :eek:

UNISCAPER
02-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Actually you can get hi flow on one installed by Cat, and with the work tool attachment mounted where the bucket goes, any skid steer tool will click on the the 939. The rubber track machines can't touch the 939's break out, but the only thing that will screw you is the steel tracks over asphalt if you need to off load there.

Squizzy246B
02-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Ok Ok I give up...Whats a 939?..somebody have a link??:blush:

UNISCAPER
02-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Dedicated Track loader by Caterpillar. They started as the 933A in 1956. Gear drive, dry clutches. Donkey motor starter, naturally aspirated. They eveloved to the 931 in 1969, and went through 13 letter changes until 1997 when the 935's came out, then eventually morphed into the 939. 1.1 yard bucket, about as wide as the 287, steel tracks. 15,000 lb machine.

You can install rip teeth on the tail, and they are used alot in tight work.

Squizzy246B
02-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Dedicated Track loader by Caterpillar. They started as the 933A in 1956. Gear drive, dry clutches. Donkey motor starter, naturally aspirated. They eveloved to the 931 in 1969, and went through 13 letter changes until 1997 when the 935's came out, then eventually morphed into the 939. 1.1 yard bucket, about as wide as the 287, steel tracks. 15,000 lb machine.

Ok yep got it, know them, sort of like the 908 of the tracked world.

janb
02-07-2006, 02:10 PM

for that matter... I would consider a 450 Case, as you get their very nice differential turning mech. (probably CAT has something similar by now), but... 450 was smallest version with the constantly powered turning clutches (in 70's), unfortunately my 350 has wet brake bands (so you need to be moving to initiate turn) I have a friend with the 450 and 2 with 650's, and they are very fast and productive. And yes, you can get alot of work done with the track loaders, tho the skid is better in tight qtrs. I often end up bringing my track loader into a job to do grading, and moving bigger stuff, (6 ft dia trees...big rocks) and for 'extended reach' - can mow ~10' out in front of tracks, (nice around steep drop-offs) and ~12' high (giraffe pruning)

Dirty Water
02-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Cat 939:

http://www.milameq.com/construction/back%20pages/E854/constu2.jpg

Cheers Squizzy :)

toolshednc
02-07-2006, 11:32 PM
ASV-100 pros and cons based my ~50 hours and brother-in-law ~1000 hours of usage. Machine was origionally purchased in Florida because of sugar sand. Low ground pressure is excellent in sand, much better than rubber tired machine. Then moved to North Carolina mountains and had to learn to deal with wet clay and slopped terrain.

Pros
Cat Engine is a beast
Tracks offer smooth ride
Cat Joystick controls
XM Radio (user addon)
Good Heat/AC
Minimal maintenance
Tracks have 1050+ hours and are holding up well even in rocky soil.
Hydraulic quick tatch (most manufactures offer this option and it's worth it)

Cons
100 HP engine will drink the diesel when run full throttle, usually run half throttle and still have plenty of power 95% of time.
Joystick controls (often difficult to turn on a dime because turning joystick doesn't cause 1 track to reverse and the other to forward, like old style bobcat sticks or even T series bobcat's) usually end up having to make mulitpoint turn instead.
Hydraulic ram that tips bucket broke at about 1000 hours when changing attachments (i.e. under no load)
Tracks aren't agressive enough for slopes/wet clay

Overall this has been a good machine but my bro-in-law is now considering getting a rubber tired with steel tracks because of better traction after doing a small comparison between his ASV and my JD with Loegering steel tracks.

Don't have any experience with Fecon machine but I see a lot of them in my area attached to ASV's around here.

Good luck on your future purchase.

Itsgottobegreen
02-15-2006, 12:07 AM
I love the 931. Got like 20 hours on one. Talk about a tree removing machine. Come up to the tree, push it over a little then get the bucket under the roots and out it comes. :rolleyes: I know where there a completely rebuild one with a 4n1 bucket going for $33,000. Oh if I only had the money.

jsbiker
09-23-2006, 11:42 AM
the tracks on ALL track units are a problem, stumps will cut them up fast when using a mulching head you must watch out for stumps and other things in the woods steel post rebar wheels

always keep track money in the bank you never know when you are going to need it

MVBC
11-11-2006, 11:25 PM
We used to own a ASV RC 100 with the Fecon Brush Hog attachment. The ASV can not handle hot weather (anything greater than 85). This is due to the placement of the radiator and hydraulic hoses. Once the Hydraulic oil heats up so does your engine because the radiator doesn't handle the cooling. We had to sometimes shut down the engine to let it cool or work the Fecon with less power. The tracks also don't last very long, but the undercarriage is great compared to Bobcats.

Another note: The ASV RC 100 has a Cat engine in it, the 287B with high flow option is actually a stronger engine design. We noticed the power output difference right away with the Fecon brush hog.

We bought a Cat 287B last year to replace the ASV and its even better. We have better traction because the tracks are slightly longer and wider (same ASV patented undercarriage though). We have had zero problems with over heating. The protective windows are more reinforced than the RC 100 so less down time when the Fecon shoots a branch back. If you do decide on the ASV RC 100 make sure you order the Forestry Package or you will have constant down time with branches hitting windows and AC unit on top.

If you want more information you should check our website regarding our California brush clearing business. Its www.MountainValleyBrushControl.com.

smalley360
11-12-2006, 12:23 AM
I just bought my ASV RC-30. I was told that the ASV's have a two year warranty on the tracks and the only ones in the industry to have such a warranty as well as the only one with suspension. Is this a special warranty or are they offering this to any ASV sold.

MVBC
11-12-2006, 01:46 AM
Yes, all ASVs have the two sometimes three year warranty on the tracks. The warranty even transfers over to new owners. Check out asvi web site for more informaiton.

jsbiker
11-12-2006, 07:57 PM
cat vs ASV
CAT 33 gpm, ASV 38+
cat has a lot of problems with the "B" units
if i was a CAT person i would wait for the NEW "C" units
they are making a lot of changes to make the new unit better
i hope to see and test a unit sometime in Dec.
have been told it willhave a much much better HYD system

rutwad
11-13-2006, 09:29 AM
ASV has a Perkins engine, turbo, 99.5 HP.

The ASV is the only one I've operated, so I can't make a comparison.
ASV if plenty strong, and fast.
Easy daily maintenance.
Cab space is tight, but not bad. Cramped, but comfortable.
Cab is POORLY sealed and gets really dusty.
I haven't run mine in the hot summer, but I hear the AC struggles to keep it comfortable inside.
Rubber tracks, and rubber on roller wheels so KEEP IT OUT OF THE ROCKS!
Also check at each of the four corner wheels. There is a piece of steel that is just above the wheels at about the 11 or 2 o'clock positions (depending on which wheel). It protrudes slightly beyond the outer edge of the wheel. I have found where something (probably a tree) has hit these and pushed them up against the wheel. I plan on taking mine off and trimming them back slightly to prevent premature wear on the wheel.
Turning the ASV at slow speeds seems more difficult than I think it should be. This may be due to the wide tracks.

Total.Lawn.Care
11-13-2006, 10:17 AM
I have a friend that is in the ladn clearing and development business and he runs 2 ASV RC-100s. The runs the mulching cutter heads and can mulch anything 6-7 inches in diameter or less. He and his guys love the machines. They both have been sunk in the Marshes on Tybee Island as well and after some preventative maintenance and cleaning of the hydrolic systems, he has had no problems with them. They are tough and will cut through anything...

MikeAtv
11-15-2006, 05:04 PM
I have been checking into this setup to.I'm Glad i found this website you guys have given me alot of good info thanks.

arnie12340
09-23-2007, 12:00 AM
How many hours should the ASV RC 100 last with normal use? I am buying a used one and wonder how long it will last. Also am considering a Cat HM312 mulcher. I do enjoy reading everyones comments! Thanks

Stillwater
09-23-2007, 07:19 AM
The only thing I have against it is the fact I don't have one!

jsbiker
09-23-2007, 03:47 PM
the ASV is a good unit buying used you just have to know if it was used proper and taken care of. ASV unit run GOOD or BAD no middle of the road

as for the MH312 it was built for the CAT "A" units you should make a few changes to run it on the ASV replace the hoses with 1" it comes with 3/4" and make them shorter 6 to 8 feet is lots.

this will increase rotor speed and reduce heat. next check the pulleys for the ASV you shoul have the smaller pulley on the top. this will slow the rotor to the best cutting speed and give it more tourge for the ASV.

watch FAE they are coming out with a new tooth sometime in OCT. NOV.
i have run them some at a test location the first set has 120 hrs on them and they cut fast and are holding up well

leathelbuzzkill
10-02-2007, 11:36 PM
john Deere and new Holland are better link http://digdeeper.deere.com/digdeeper_media.html this is real proof click compact track loaders watch the kiss principal,track smack,walk the walk(make sure you click the 332 series to see the ASV comparison make sure you watch both vids),rough riders (click large frame) and top of the heap(click large frame) this is why john Deere/new Holland rules

watch all vids please:)

Digdeep
10-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the link. I watched them. Pretty good job of marketing. It reminds me of when I used to go down to AZ for the Bobcat training when I was still a salesman and they would have everything set up for the salesmen to demo the competition. ASV makes a video too and it shows their machine as superior to the JD and New Holland traction, speed, ride, balance, etc.

It brings back a funny memory of when the Bobcat trainer got done showing us how the T200 was better at pushing and digging compared to the ASV machine. He then asked some of the salesmen if they wanted to try the ASV against him and one particular guy took him up on the offer and proceeded to wax the T200's butt all over the demo site with the ASV. I don't know if I've ever again seen a guy lose his composure like that guy did right in front of everybody. Point being said, is that a guy should demo all of the models to find out for themselves.

leathelbuzzkill
10-03-2007, 10:18 PM
is there a video that i can watch online of the asv winning against jd/newholland if so can you give me a link?
thanks

Digdeep
10-03-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't think that they have the videos online, but I know that you can get one from your nearest dealer, or ASV sends them out for free. I got mine from my dealer. I also think that a dealer back East has them on their website including a video of ASV's 50hp RC50 machine pushing a T250 backwards in the snow. I think the website in MBtractor.com.

Digdeep
10-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Here's a link that I found of one video:

Digdeep
10-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Let me try again:

LPDB
10-04-2007, 03:14 AM
http://www.mbtractor.com/asvcompared.php

http://www.mbtractor.com/bobcatvsasv.php

DiyDave
10-04-2007, 10:24 PM
videos of the asv vs bobcat and others (traction, slope, mud) and one of the asv vs others in the snow have been on this forum before.:waving: :waving:

Dirt Digger2
10-04-2007, 11:45 PM
john Deere and new Holland are better link http://digdeeper.deere.com/digdeeper_media.html this is real proof click compact track loaders watch the kiss principal,track smack,walk the walk(make sure you click the 332 series to see the ASV comparison make sure you watch both vids),rough riders (click large frame) and top of the heap(click large frame) this is why john Deere/new Holland rules

watch all vids please:)

i dont know...that pretty one sided. the movies are made by deere, you can't hear how high the engine rpm is for all we know the deeres could be running full throttle and everything else at half. i have put hundreds of hours on a takeuchi 130 and i can garuntee it does more work they show it to in these videos

ksss
10-05-2007, 02:41 AM
Some of the issues shown I have seen in testing such as the difficulty in giving equal power to the tracks on the TK. The lack of push power in the Cat. The skill level in the operator can influence the results. Example is adding speed while the machine is underload will kill it. A consistant speed will result in a better push. Who knows what the operators are doing. As stated, interesting marketing tactic.

YellowDogSVC
10-05-2007, 11:18 AM
We run in Rock, DG, soil and rock all day every day. We still have the original track/under carraige on our first 257B, (1632 hours) while the rental store who has a huge Bobcat fleet is very hard pressed to get 1000 hours out of his tracks. trashing tracks on a suspended underacaraige is on the operator. Once you learn how to do what you need to do, they will outperform any rigid frame on the market. If you treat them like a skid steer, or like a rigid framed machine, you will trash the tracks prematurely, that's a given.

You are getting that kind of track life working on rock? I have wanted a track machine for my area for quite some time and everyone tells me the tracks will get trashed in the limestone rock we have. I get 1500 to almost 2000 hours out of my tires before I even think of replacing them and they are still in good condition. can you travel over rocks and stumps with rubber tracks?

RockSet N' Grade
10-05-2007, 02:30 PM
You can travel over rocks and stumps with rubber tracks........but not for very long :) . We have been working on some of the rockiest ground we have been on all year........I have gotten so frustrated, I hired a laborer just to move the sharp rock shards out of the path ways of our tracked skid and rubber tracked mini. Figured I could have him there for almost a year vs. replace my tracks on both machines just for this one job.

YellowDogSVC
10-05-2007, 05:33 PM
good point Rockset. I have been struggling with this. I definitely see the benefits of running a tracked machine versus rubber tire for productivity, stability and comfort but worry about something sharp tearing the tracks or rupturing them. It's a lot cheaper to replace a tire!
Maybe if I ran less air pressure in my tires my ride and traction would improve? Hmmm.

Topsoilman
10-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I Sell Takeuchi I would look at The Supertrak Machine it's a TL150 all hopped up (High FLow nice rear bumper and Winch) They use to use RC100's but prefer Takeuchi

YellowDogSVC
10-05-2007, 08:45 PM
i like the supertrak but that's out of my price range for a skid steer since I only brush mow part time and shear and chip the rest.

Digdeep
10-05-2007, 11:44 PM
There's a guy up here that I see regularly around my area. He used to own a Supertrak, but he sold it because they don't have a dealer network and support was poor. I think they rely on the good graces of any dealer that they can get ahold of to do service work for them since they are based out of FL. I see way more RC100s doing brush cutting work in my area than any other type of machine. When I sold Bobcats I stopped pushing the brush cutting because they didn't have sufficient cooling.

The way that I heard the story was that Supertrak wanted to use the ASV's, but ASV said "no" since they already had the RC100 which was a good brush cutting machine so they started buying CAT 287s and TL150s for modification.

Scag48
10-06-2007, 04:58 AM
Supertrak's Cat 287B is awesome! I want one just for the steel tracks. Probably don't need 140 horses just for general dirt work, but maybe around 100 horses with those steel tracks would have me happy. What a beast of a machine.

MikeAtv
10-07-2007, 11:06 AM
i didn't know that you could get steel tracks for the cat 287

YellowDogSVC
10-07-2007, 01:51 PM
The supertrak weighs in at a hefty 13-14k before you add an attachment. That kind of weight needs 140 horses. Have you seen the price tag?

YellowDogSVC
10-07-2007, 01:55 PM
There's a guy up here that I see regularly around my area. He used to own a Supertrak, but he sold it because they don't have a dealer network and support was poor. I think they rely on the good graces of any dealer that they can get ahold of to do service work for them since they are based out of FL. I see way more RC100s doing brush cutting work in my area than any other type of machine. When I sold Bobcats I stopped pushing the brush cutting because they didn't have sufficient cooling.

The way that I heard the story was that Supertrak wanted to use the ASV's, but ASV said "no" since they already had the RC100 which was a good brush cutting machine so they started buying CAT 287s and TL150s for modification.

spec-wise, there is no comparison between the ASV and supertrak. It's a totally different animal all together. I think the Supertrak idea is great but as you mentioned, there isn't much of a support network unless you can get it serviced at a CAT dealer.
I stick with my Bobcat or CAT attachment simply because of dealer service even though I don't have the performance of a hybrid like Supertrak when I run a brush grinder. I haven't overheated since Bobcat came out with hydraulic fan. Cooling system still leaves much to be desired, however, but we seem to manage in hot, S. Texas.

grossbec28
10-12-2007, 08:13 PM
asvs are great the track power is unbeleivable alos the overall performance is at its maximum.

jsbiker
10-12-2007, 08:28 PM
supertrak builds the cat units from the ground up they are NOT maked over cat units
check out the new Cat 297C and also check out the new teeth FAE has

Tigerotor77W
10-12-2007, 09:05 PM
supertrak builds the cat units from the ground up they are NOT maked over cat units

Actually, it's a Cat unit with serious upgrades... but Cat does build the machine. It ships from Sanford engineless but with tracks, loader arms, cab, electronics, and I want to say hydraulic valves and lines (perhaps not pumps, maybe not motors...).

YellowDogSVC
10-12-2007, 09:58 PM

can you send a link for the teeth?

YellowDogSVC
10-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Actually, it's a Cat unit with serious upgrades... but Cat does build the machine. It ships from Sanford engineless but with tracks, loader arms, cab, electronics, and I want to say hydraulic valves and lines (perhaps not pumps, maybe not motors...).

it may have a regular flow pump in there to run the drive and auxillaries like trap doors etc. I believe supertrak has 2 pumps

rguetter
10-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Does anyone have any info/background on the ASV SR70? I am looking at purchasing one and realize they have only been out about 1 3/4 years now.

I really like ASV and am looking for a middle of the road machine. Spec wise this has everything except two speed. I have a hobby farm and need something for general use - everything from landscaping and yard work to running a high-flow brusher that I've used in the past to clear deer trails(I used the ASV 2810 that time).

Thanks in Advance.

tigerroze
03-04-2008, 05:28 PM
I have a sr-70 with 181 hrs, great machine WHEN it's running. In the first year I had to replace all gauges, 2 starters, ignition, several relays, & now the float has quit. If I wouldn't have kept my wheel machine as a back up, I would have been screwed last year. Service guys seem to know NOTHING about these machines & there seems to be no contact between ASV & selling company......as if they were made on a different planet! Such a shame such a fine machine is not being supported by it's maker!

lifetree
03-04-2008, 06:53 PM
You need to check out this thread !!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=157070

mowen
03-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Check out the Bradco Magnum also. they are coming out with cutter knives in the near future and will almost double productoin.

Ausman
03-05-2008, 12:47 AM
For those with SR70's you need to contact your dealer and get the following free upgrades.

Replace torsion axles with flame cut axles under serial number 500 or so.

replace all the relays with a better brand.

in air cab there is a bolt that rubs on an air con pipe

Clamp to be installed to keep radiator hose from contacting oil filler

early serial numbers require a set of gussets on the front cab mounts.

you can also buy a kit to make fuel blow back a thing of the past when filling.

At least ASV will admit to shortcomings ad rectify them in the field.

tigerroze
03-05-2008, 10:03 AM
thanks very much for this post.
I've never heard any thing from my dealer about these things which makes me think they have made no effort to talk to asv. Doesn't really surprise me since part of the problem has been very slow response form them. This gives me some ground to stand on. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Sure would like to keep the machine & make money also!

BIGBEN2004
03-05-2008, 10:10 AM
I have two dealers within 15 miles of me that sell ASV. The one is a harry homeowner store that carrys mowers and weed eaters and then also ASV. The other is a case dealership. I know for a fact when the day comes I want to buy a PT-70 it will come from the Case dealer since I know for a fact that the other store won't be worth anything on parts and service support. That is a shame ASV will let anyone sell their products and they can also be with in just a couple of miles with the nearest other ASV dealer. Maybe after Terex gets going with them they will attend to some of these problems. Now that Terex has bought them I only see good for their future.

tigerroze
03-05-2008, 10:20 AM
I wish the case dealer here sold ASV, they have the best reputation in the area.
The post from from Ausman has already got my dealer moving. The forum has been a great help! thanks everyone!

Digdeep
03-05-2008, 11:03 AM
thanks very much for this post.
I've never heard any thing from my dealer about these things which makes me think they have made no effort to talk to asv. Doesn't really surprise me since part of the problem has been very slow response form them. This gives me some ground to stand on. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Sure would like to keep the machine & make money also!

Its unfortunate that you have a dealer that hasn't pursued this for you because it does seem that ASV has come out with all of the fixes for your machine. I have talked to a few SR70 and SR80 owners in my area and they seem to be satisfied with the machines. Quite a few of us on this forum have said that dealer support is critical for any brand of equipment. Good luck.