PDA

View Full Version : Cab forward truck with landscape bed

lawnspecialties
02-05-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm looking real hard this year at getting a cab forward truck with a 18-20 ft. landscape bed. I feel it will serve me better than my smaller truck and trailer. I'll still have my F-250 with 20 ft. trailer for the tractor.

What are the pros and cons, if any?

I'd love some input on favorite brands. Locally we have Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Chevrolet/GMC, UD, Hino, and the new Ford cab forward series. Anything else I need to know when buying (or even leasing)? Thanks

JB1
02-05-2006, 09:02 PM
I've got a f-550 love it, can haul anything I want, no trailer to mess with, no trailer lights to work on, get in and out of places easy. Only regret is I didn't buy one sooner. Bought the chasis from my Ford dealer and the body from WWW.WIL-RO.COM good place outside of Nashville.

LLandscaping
02-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Isuzu's are what most landscaper in my area use, they are suppose to be long lasting and get good fuel mileage. A friend of mine just bought a Hino with a 16ft boxes about six months ago. It is quite and has more cab room than a Isuzu. The only downside of cabovers (Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi,etc) is they lack acceleration power and are slow going up inclines.

Jpocket
02-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Isuzu's are what most landscaper in my area use, they are suppose to be long lasting and get good fuel mileage. A friend of mine just bought a Hino with a 16ft boxes about six months ago. It is quite and has more cab room than a Isuzu. The only downside of cabovers (Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi,etc) is they lack acceleration power and are slow going up inclines.

The foriegn cab overs are GREAT trucks, maybe better than our conventional trucks, but WHEN they break the parts aren't as easy to get as a GM or Ford.
Not to mention the parts are twice as expensive. A break Job on a Gmc will cost $150 an Isuzu could be more than $300. Then there is the chance they can't get the breaks till tomorrow, meanwhile your truck is tore apart.

Personally I'd rather just deal with Ford and GM.

HenryB
02-05-2006, 10:14 PM
I agree with everything Jpocket said except I'd take the Cabover. I've had both.

gene gls
02-06-2006, 12:18 AM
I'm looking real hard this year at getting a cab forward truck with a 18-20 ft. landscape bed. I feel it will serve me better than my smaller truck and trailer. I'll still have my F-250 with 20 ft. trailer for the tractor.

What are the pros and cons, if any?

I'd love some input on favorite brands. Locally we have Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Chevrolet/GMC, UD, Hino, and the new Ford cab forward series. Anything else I need to know when buying (or even leasing)? Thanks

Get at least a 6 cylender engin........

lawnspecialties
02-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the great input. About 10 years ago, I drove an Isuzu for a local carrier company. That thing was awesome. This company did a fairly poor job of maintaining their trucks but mine had over 300,000 miles and was still rolling.

Gene's right on the money with the 6 cylinder. I'd really like to hear from someone with the new Ford. It has a 200 hp 4.5L power stroke. I've run Fords my whole life, but new models concern me. The first year 6.0L power strokes were plagued with problems. I've heard this 4.5L is basically the same engine but a V6 instead of V8.

Gravel Rat
02-06-2006, 01:40 AM
If I was going with a cab over it would be a Hino or International's new LCF I would personally stay away from the Isuzu and GMC they are okay but the cab rots off of them plus they are grossly underpowered.

I'am not sure if Hino is even making cab overs anymore they don't list them on their website. The little Hino conventional cabs look good the only thing that makes them look funny is the huge windshield they have.

EagleFlight Rep
02-07-2006, 11:10 AM
I have heard alot of good things from customers about the Ford cabover. One dealer told me that they have a hard time keeping them in stock. He thought it was mainly because when parts or service is needed, Ford dealers are everywhere whereas the Japanese import dealers are not in some areas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the International LCF is the same truck as the Ford cabover.

lawnspecialties
02-07-2006, 11:50 AM
I would imagine that's correct EagleFlight. International makes the power stroke and they look the same. Sort of like the Isuzu with Chevrolet/GMC deal.

I have about 6 or 7 Ford dealerships within 30 minutes of me, including the one I bought my F-250 from this past July. They all have the LCF's in stock. I saw one with a 18 bed already on it. Realy nice. Plus, there's an International dealership in Raleigh as well.

PROCUT1
02-07-2006, 06:35 PM
I have 2 isuzus and love em..... Would part with one if you're looking for a used one with low miles its a 2001 and I happen to be going to NC next week.

PROCUT1
02-07-2006, 06:38 PM
I have 2 isuzus and love em..... Would part with one if you're looking for a used one with low miles its a 2001 and I happen to be going to NC next week.

I tried to post a pic but it keeps saying that i already posted this pic in another thread.

Lawnworks
02-07-2006, 07:12 PM
I have good luck w/ my isuzu. The only downside to the ford is that is not proven. They could be great... I don't know. I think the isuzu's are more reasonably priced. Cabovers are meant to haul on the bed not pull. If you were pulling alot I would consider a Dodge or Ford flatbed.