PDA

View Full Version : Is a 89 F150 with an inline 6 any good?

QualityLawnCare4u
02-05-2006, 09:15 PM
I put my 05 Tundra up for sale and a older guy is trying to get the money up for it tommorow morning. I am taking a beating on it to, selling for 4 grand less than what its worth but after not having a truck payment for 10 years it did not take me long to get tired of it along with that dang high insurance! My brother in law has a 89 F150 with the inline 6 cyl. with 80k miles, AC and its a 4 speed for 2500. Are these trucks worth a crap? Ive always been a nissan/toyota person but I need to drop back and punt and Im trying to drop my debt ratio big time and get back on my feet. Im having a hard time parting with my Tundra, rides like a luxery vehicle and is loaded to the max but its put me in a bind since I purchased it and started losing yards again big time, never again! I want a paid for truck with cheap insurance. Wanted to ask who owns one and what to watch for. My brother in law said the only problem he has had with it was it was running a little hot, he changed the thermostat and put in a new radiator. Any comments on what to look out for and what is a good truck to buy for around or under 5k if this does not work out.

Jpocket
02-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Personally Im a GM man, but those old inline 6's should be very reliable. I've seen a few old F-250's with the 6cly, with PLOW BRACKETS! So my guess is they are good, esp. if your just pulling mowers.

Anyways, it seems you are having a hard time in the lawn biz, I noticed some of your posts from earlier in 05' about not being able to get good accounts, don't you think maybe it's time to reconsider, maybe go into another business or get a Job? I do belive that in order to be sucessful in business you must persevere, but I definitley wouldn't want to starve to death. I would consider this a time to regoup.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
02-05-2006, 10:24 PM
I Had A 95 F-150 With An Inline 6ci. It Was A Great Truck. I Had A 5 Speed And It Pulled Just As Good As The 302. The Inline Six Has Great Amounts Of Torque For Pulling And It Is Almost Bullet Proof. If You Are Looking For A Good Reliable Truck, As Long As It Is In Good Shape, That Is A Good Truck. And That Is Saying A Lot Since I Am A Gm Man Myself. Toyota's Make Good Car Type Trucks For Those Who Don't "use" Their Trucks As Trucks. But That Is Just My Opinion.

lampeslawnservice
02-05-2006, 10:42 PM
know of many inline 6ers with 200k on them still strong. Many old timers and myself think it was one of fords strongest

procut
02-05-2006, 11:20 PM
yes, those are great old trucks, I used to have a '90 F-150 300-6, 5sp. The thing had been through hell and still ran. I also had a buddy with an '89, with over 200K on it, he really beat on it, but it would still start every morning.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Personally Im a GM man, but those old inline 6's should be very reliable. I've seen a few old F-250's with the 6cly, with PLOW BRACKETS! So my guess is they are good, esp. if your just pulling mowers.

Anyways, it seems you are having a hard time in the lawn biz, I noticed some of your posts from earlier in 05' about not being able to get good accounts, don't you think maybe it's time to reconsider, maybe go into another business or get a Job? I do belive that in order to be sucessful in business you must persevere, but I definitley wouldn't want to starve to death. I would consider this a time to regoup.

Jpocket, I have 2 choices, to make this work or move, no other. I am trying to "drop back and punt" or regroup. There are no jobs here, we have one SOB that vertually owns everything or at least part of it and keeps wages down real low. What he does not completely own he at least has some interest in it. I will not say the SOB name but he owns over 250 stores and several banks in Georgia.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the replys. My BIL wants my trailor and I inherited my dads bigger one so we are trying to work out a trade and see if I can get to to a little less than 2 grand. I thought that was a little high for a 89 but old trucks are hot in my area with all the cowboys and rednecks:D

J&R Landscaping
02-05-2006, 11:34 PM
I have an 88 f150 with the 4.9 straight 6 and a heavy duty 5 speed manual trans with a granny 1st gear. It hauls and pulls very well!
You said it only has 80k miles... Are you sure it is not 180k since the odometers are only 5 digit? If it does only have 80k I WOULD NOT PASS IT UP!!! The engine has plenty of pulling power but still does good on fuel!! You should be very satisfied!! Good Luck!!!

Lawn Masters
02-05-2006, 11:45 PM
The inline 6 motor in that truck is an insanely large motor, 4.9L, which IMO is huge for a 6 cyl. its a torque monster, dont expect great mpg from it, but power is close to a V8. the transmissions are tough in those things. go for it , you wont look back if its in good shape.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-06-2006, 08:47 AM
I have an 88 f150 with the 4.9 straight 6 and a heavy duty 5 speed manual trans with a granny 1st gear. It hauls and pulls very well!
You said it only has 80k miles... Are you sure it is not 180k since the odometers are only 5 digit? If it does only have 80k I WOULD NOT PASS IT UP!!! The engine has plenty of pulling power but still does good on fuel!! You should be very satisfied!! Good Luck!!!

JR, that is the actual miles, my BIL bought in new.

Jpocket
02-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Jpocket, I have 2 choices, to make this work or move, no other. I am trying to "drop back and punt" or regroup. There are no jobs here, we have one SOB that vertually owns everything or at least part of it and keeps wages down real low. What he does not completely own he at least has some interest in it. I will not say the SOB name but he owns over 250 stores and several banks in Georgia.

I would move, I wouldn't want to sacrifice my quality of life, because someone else has a monopoly.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Those trucks and engines are tuff. The company I worked for had a bunch of them and they ran and ran and about all we ever done was routine maintenece on them. The worst thing I know about them are the guage packages will fail, you think you dont have any oil pressure but you do. Most of the time you have to bump the dash to get the voltmeter to work and the fuel tank guage probably doesnt work or doesnt read correctly. We always added a mechanical oil psi, used a book to record the mileage in between fuelings, the sending unit for the fuel guage is in the fuel tank and mounted to the electric fuel pump. The ones we replaced would be defective with in a year so we quit replacing them unless the fuel pump went bad

wayne

stroker51
02-06-2006, 10:16 PM
I've had 3 F250's w/ 351's and my favorite, my current Powerstroke, but a buddy of mine has had 2 of the straight sixes and they are a bulletproof engine. we tried VERY hard to kill his '85, so he would have justification to get a newer truck, but it took a beating and the guy that bought it still pulls a 16' flatbed with it. The other one is his plow truck, it is like a 87 w/ a 300 6 cyl. and pushes a 7.5ft plow as good or better than my 83 w/ a 351 Modified. I think they have more power than the Ford v6's i have been around. IMO, a very good older truck, sounds like a good deal to me.

Smalltimer1
02-06-2006, 11:48 PM
The 300/6 with the T-18 or T-19 in a F-100/150/250 or if you can find the rare 300 powered F-250HD with the ZF-5, all are a pretty bulletproof combination.

Your best bet would be a mid-late 80's F-150 with the 300 and the T-18/19 (stopped installation in '88). Starting in '87 the F-150's and light duty F-250's had the Mazda M50D 5 speed manual which was ok for light hauling but sucked for heavy pulling. The F-250/F-350 with the 300 and ZF-5 are very rare so its almost pointless to try and find one.

UNISCAPER
02-07-2006, 12:42 AM
The 300 6 is stuill used in many of the low cost log chippers and on many Olin and Swing tag along concrete pumpers.

We had one in a '71 Bronco that we welded the intake ports shut and opened ports on the opposite side of the head. We installed 3 Webber side draft carbs aith K&N filtration and made a 180° header. Changed cams, addec Carillo rods. Everything else was pretty much Ford stuff. We coupled it to a B&M C-4 and a 3500 stall convertor with a manual valve body. It shifted in the power band at 9,700 RPM and redlined at 12,400. There was not a V-8 on the tack that could get near it in the same wheel base class. Ran it 3 seasons before it started banging out in Occotillo Wells on a fun day.

You won't find that truck to be any speed demon by any means, especially with that combination intake over exhaust style manifold but it will keep running and get the job done for you. Check the side cover and valve cover gaskets, they are cork and will fail on you every now and again, usually from someone laying the pork down on them rather than snugging them up. If the valves are going, you will need to let the engine cool down almost all the way before the motor will start. That's a very easy and relatively inexpensive fix with a trip to the machiner shop.

$2,500 with 80K? I'de buy it for that.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Im still chewing it over. My Tundra did not sell today, guy who wanted it real bad never called back. Would still like to have a good ol tough work truck. BTW, I posted it was a 4 sp but its a 5.

janb
02-07-2006, 03:57 AM
yeah, get into the Ford, it will serve you well for work duty, but as mentioned, they are not great on economy. Probably 14mpg if F-250 and 16mpg if F-150

They will really work hard and give long service. We used to do a valve job @ 250,000 miles, and put them back to work. We ran a fleet of F-250's that each did 500-800 miles/day - 7 days / week (hauling newspapers and movie film, Wyo, Colo, NE, and SD) yes, there were a few electrical issues...

QualityLawnCare4u
03-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Here is a followup on this thread. I FINALLY sold my Tundra today and I took a nice beating on it to. However, it is SO NICE not to have that dam payment anymore along with the high insurance. Im going to have a look at the truck Friday and see if I like it. He did tell me that sometimes the gauges do quit working then start back as someone posted above. I feel like Im really stepping down until I think about not having to send that check every month and I suddenly feel much better! A fellow bought my Tundra for his college age (20) son. It must be nice!! It feels nice to now know I will be saying no a lot more and when I sell off some more stuff its going to get much easier to say it:laugh: Im hoping the Ford will last me a couple of years untill I get back on my feet.