PDA

View Full Version : What engine is this?

S man
02-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Take a look at this pic. What engine do you think it is? Looks like a honda gxv 5 hp to me. And it's only 214 at walmart. I'd buy it just for the engine. payup

mulcahy mowing
02-05-2006, 10:34 PM
yep thats it......

S man
02-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Hmmmn. To buy or not to buy?

Richard Martin
02-06-2006, 06:58 AM
I'd want to see the word HONDA first. There is a company in Japan or Korea that is making Honda look-alike engines and they ain't a Honda. Just ask to see the owners manual and see if it's a Honda in the specs. The same company has been put Honda look-alikes on generators for years and selling them through Pep Boys.

tiedeman
02-06-2006, 07:40 AM
is that mower self propelled?

impactlandscaping
02-06-2006, 08:30 AM
I'd want to see the word HONDA first. There is a company in Japan or Korea that is making Honda look-alike engines and they ain't a Honda. Just ask to see the owners manual and see if it's a Honda in the specs. The same company has been put Honda look-alikes on generators for years and selling them through Pep Boys.

I agree with Richard. There are a lot of knock offs out there, and especially with WallyWorld, I'd be skeptical.

6'7 330
02-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Yes that is knock-off, probably from China.

Restrorob
02-06-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm with 6'7 on this one, I read a post from another site where a dealer attended a MTD update seminar. He said MTD was going to the china built engines this year to further lower build cost. How much cheaper can they get. :dizzy:

shop22
02-06-2006, 09:53 AM
restrorob is right. We just attended an mtd school and mtd is making there own engines for some of there walkbehinds this year to try to take more of there business away from briggs. They feel briggs is compettion now since they own murray and may start selling a briigs line of lawnmowers through the home improvment stores.

OnMyOwn
02-06-2006, 10:20 AM
MTD = Most Tterrible Decision!

Richard Martin
02-06-2006, 12:20 PM
He said MTD was going to the china built engines this year to further lower build cost. How much cheaper can they get. :dizzy:

I've seen a whole bunch of Chinese aluminum castings and they really are crap. Ford casts a replica 5.0 Cobra intake manifold there and you have to really clean up the casting flash before you can install it. The outside finish really leaves a lot to be desired as well as the placement of the ports.

Gatewayuser
02-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Save the $214 and spend a little more for a better push than that. Also on those mowers they usually put a Tecumseh engine on it.

S man
02-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Save the $214 and spend a little more for a better push than that. Also on those mowers they usually put a Tecumseh engine on it.

Well I did promise myself to not buy equipment at wal-mart. I had two unsecessful mowers from there. I've had little or no problems with equipment from dealers including to stuff I'm using right now.

S man
02-06-2006, 09:48 PM
I went to mtd.com and have seen that there isn't any info that says it's a honda. All it says is premium ohv. Check honda engines and see that they only have the 5 hp with the air filter on top and not on the side. Did they get rid of the design and let china make a cheap version of it?

http://www.honda-engines.com/gxv160.htm#

Restrorob
02-06-2006, 11:00 PM
This is what I heard, Honda started updating their engine line with newer designs and sold the plans and rights to the older engines they no longer build to another company and they are the ones producing the Honda wanna be's from Honda plans and specs. but not Honda quality.

mybabyciv
02-07-2006, 12:18 AM
ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS! DO NOT BUY FROM A HOME OWNER STORE!!!! Ching chong chang

Envy Lawn Service
02-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Oh geeezzz... that's the last thing we need now... Chinese small engines.

China now imports a knock-off of almost everything as it is.

I liked it better when Chinese immediately translated to food.

newz7151
02-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Oh.. this is a nice one.. MTDs MTD branded engine. Warranty will consist of replacing the entire engine. No shortblocking..

out4now
02-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Oh geeezzz... that's the last thing we need now... Chinese small engines.

China now imports a knock-off of almost everything as it is.

I liked it better when Chinese immediately translated to food.
Let us no tforget that this is how the Japanese started out, remember the term Jap Junk? Now they produce some of the best stuff in the world. Depennding on how China decides to pursue quality will determine their fate. Get ready for the first Chinese imported cars to hit our shores soon too.

BESTYARDS
02-07-2006, 01:25 AM
...use polymer cams? Bring me up to date guys, do any other small prime movers use polymer cams. Maby the Chinese have a better mousetrap. Maby MTD is trying to stack um deep and sell em cheap.

Matt 6:33 But seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you.

jeffex
02-07-2006, 06:52 AM
I was at Home Depot the other day in the paint dept. and saw they had their 3700 psi 13 hp honda pressure washer on sale for $849 down from $999. I asked the clerk "is this a demo model" He told me "no just a close out sale". The depot was doing away with all honda motors on their equipment. They probably are switching to the Chineese versions to up their bottom line. Honda set the gold standard on small motors for many years as most rental equipment had them as well as go-carts!!

S man
02-07-2006, 06:51 PM
It's sad. Now engines will have the coined term made in china. Is Briggs still here?

shop22
02-07-2006, 08:08 PM
last year I fixed about three or four John deere tractors with the JD kawaski on it. They all stipped out the teeth on the cam. So, it's not that uncommon to see a polymer camshaft.

jgtxusa
02-07-2006, 11:53 PM
You guys wear me out. Why in the hell would you want to buy a piece of garbage like that to mow more than one house a week. Who cares about what kind of motor it is when you turn and the wheels fall off. Give me a break and get serious. Dont come back either and give me one of those crappy dollar comparisons saying it comes out better in the long run for this and that reason. You will break down and you have zero relationship with a reputable dealer who actually cares on that machine. Well wait, Waltons daughter might come down from being the 4th richest person in the Great USA to come help you throw it in the trash. But the great thing about walmart is they would probably take it back after one year or two with money back. Wow.

Smalltimer1
02-08-2006, 12:38 AM

Daedong IIRC is the knock off brand from Korea, Power Train is another (Chinese), and there's one more but I can think of the name of it right off the top of my head.

Contrary to intuition, I've actually heard some good things about the Power Train engines, the only thing that sucks about them is parts availability.

Smalltimer1
02-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Oh.. this is a nice one.. MTDs MTD branded engine. Warranty will consist of replacing the entire engine. No shortblocking..

That's a Tecumseh. Anytime the mfg. advertises it as their own engine, its a Tecumseh, other than Kubota. Toro GTS is also a Tecumseh (IIRC?). Know of Eager-1? Yep....that's a Tecumseh too.

Smalltimer1
02-08-2006, 12:42 AM
MTD = Most Tterrible Decision!

More Time Down!

Smalltimer1
02-08-2006, 12:44 AM
...use polymer cams? Bring me up to date guys, do any other small prime movers use polymer cams. Maby the Chinese have a better mousetrap. Maby MTD is trying to stack um deep and sell em cheap.

Kawasaki has been known to use plastic/polymer cams in their engines. IIRC, John Deere had to recall a bunch of 400 series garden tractors w/Kawasaki engines about 8 years ago for faulty plastic cams in them.

Murray was sold off to a Chinese firm recently, not sure if it was before or after Briggs bought them though. Either way, Murray does not have much of a future without having a crutch.

I predict Murray will either be a part of MTD or AYP or even out of business in 10 years. Call this extreme, but Murray is going down, while MTD and AYP are doing fairly decent. Don't you just feel sorry for those old men that swear by their Murray lawn tractors?:p

cdsang
02-08-2006, 02:50 AM
Just looked at the wetsite about that walk behind. Thats a Briggs. They do howerever have a Honda 5.5 HP version but it doesn't have the yellow top but its black instead. Not sure on the price.

CD

newz7151
02-08-2006, 03:29 AM
That's a Tecumseh. Anytime the mfg. advertises it as their own engine, its a Tecumseh, other than Kubota. Toro GTS is also a Tecumseh (IIRC?). Know of Eager-1? Yep....that's a Tecumseh too.

That is NOT a Tecumseh engine. It is MTDs new Chinese made engine that will eventually be replacing all the B&S engines on the MTD walkbehinds. There are currently approx. 220,000 of the engines being made as a "trial run" to see how they stand up to normal use. Unfortunately, they will be using the general Wal-Mart buying public to trouble shoot their engine. Warranty repairs of internal failures will result in replacement of the engine.

If you're going to post on here.. know what you are posting about.

Restrorob
02-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Murray was sold off to a Chinese firm recently, not sure if it was before or after Briggs bought them though. Either way, Murray does not have much of a future without having a crutch.

Murray was sold to the Chinese company first and ran into debit, Briggs was the largest debit holder for Murray at the time they filed bankruptcy. Rather than Briggs loosing tons of money they put in a bid for the company and won, I'm sure Briggs will keep Murray around at least until they can break even with their debit. This information came from a Briggs Rep.

Envy Lawn Service
02-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Murray was sold to the Chinese company first and ran into debit, Briggs was the largest debit holder for Murray at the time they filed bankruptcy. Rather than Briggs loosing tons of money they put in a bid for the company and won, I'm sure Briggs will keep Murray around at least until they can break even with their debit. This information came from a Briggs Rep.

That is much the same way that MTD has came to own in whole or hold interest in so many OPE companies. Those companies got in debt with MTD up to their eyeballs on there Machine, Tool, Die, and deck stamping processes.

MTD has stamped many a deck for the competition.

Envy Lawn Service
02-08-2006, 07:40 PM
That is NOT a Tecumseh engine. It is MTDs new Chinese made engine that will eventually be replacing all the B&S engines on the MTD walkbehinds. There are currently approx. 220,000 of the engines being made as a "trial run" to see how they stand up to normal use. Unfortunately, they will be using the general Wal-Mart buying public to trouble shoot their engine. Warranty repairs of internal failures will result in replacement of the engine.

If you're going to post on here.. know what you are posting about.

Ohhh I think I feel sick to my stomach now.

I wish all these people who have been all for 'global economy' and 'free trade' would wake up.

I hate to break it to them, but that MTD pusher is still going to cost as much as ever, if not more.
The only thing going down is the quality.

They should just call them Schick mowers.... disposable like your razor.