PDA

View Full Version : Making Cuts

tiedeman
02-06-2006, 12:13 AM
What if any are you cutting back on this year in regards to budget?

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
02-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Was hoping to cut back on new equipment but it looks like im going to be Buying a new truck and a new 21" along with the trailer i had budgeted for.

Husky05
02-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Yes ill be making huge cuts considering I just bought a 95K dollar piece of property to store and run my business out of. Every dollar earn will be valued and spent properly or saved accordingly until this place is paid for!

lawn_pro
02-06-2006, 01:43 AM
Advertising will be cut in half next season, ended up with a bunch of extra accounts I wans't planning on getting...paying advertising for nothing right now..

tiedeman
02-06-2006, 06:39 AM
Advertising will be cut in half next season, ended up with a bunch of extra accounts I wans't planning on getting...paying advertising for nothing right now..

that is one thing I am cutting big time. No more direct mail...what a waste

Jpocket
02-06-2006, 07:52 AM
This year I will be cutting my truck and large equipment purchases to ZERO!

The only major thing business related I plan to buy is a 24 ft enclosed trailer.

Precision
02-06-2006, 08:15 AM
I am so not cutting it is ridiculous.

My Justmowit style company is out of testing and ready to go prime time. $14,000 ad campaign. two trucks and the landscaper bed conversions and some stick equipment. I already have the mowers I need.

Hopefully, my full service company won't need much in new equipment, although Ihave a bid out that would require another 60" ZTR and a dump trailer. We will see.

OnMyOwn
02-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Not really cutting costs....just buying some new and selling some old!

meets1
02-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Bought two new Z's last year. I will need to update our 21 WB mowers, and a few handheld pieces, and I did get 2 new trucks last fall and 1 new truck last week. NO MORE SPENDING! I now have a building being put that needs to be paid for.

Gatewayuser
02-06-2006, 12:00 PM
I did too much spending last year, I bought a 01 F-350 4x4 a new boss 8 ft V-plow a salt spreader a husq 326lx trimmer, pressure washer, stihl 110fs edger and a ton of other equipment. So I should not buy anything this year but I'm already wanting a 200gal sprayer another push mower and a lesco or toro ztr. I spent wayyyyy too much on fuel last year so I need to cut that with tighter more profitable routes, and I need to do more of my own mant example oil change, sharpening blades ect. I would think that I spent somewhere around $25,000 - $35,000 on just equipment last year I don't want to spend more than $10,000 unless of course I get a skid loader and fuel depends on how many jobs I get but that cost I hope to keep below $10,000.

tiedeman
02-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Last year I spent about $5,000 on equipment...this year, I am only going to spend hopefully about $1,200

all ferris
02-06-2006, 02:17 PM
I tried to take my add out of the phone book this year and they wouldn't let me because they said that I had signed a contract last year that was subject to automatic renewal:gunsfirin :realmad: . To make matters worse, I actually maintain the ad agency's props and they used to come out and ask me every year if I wanted anything different from previous years. Well, nobody came asking this past year so I just assumed that since I didn't sign anything this past year that I would not have an ad in the phone book. I got the bill in the mail a month ago and not only did they automaticly renew me, they raised the price. I guess it just goes to show that you have to read all the fine print. I guess I need to set them up on an automatic renewal with price increase.

Has anyone else found that by having your name in the book all you get from it is price shoppers???

tiedeman
02-06-2006, 02:23 PM
I tried to take my add out of the phone book this year and they wouldn't let me because they said that I had signed a contract last year that was subject to automatic renewal:gunsfirin :realmad: . To make matters worse, I actually maintain the ad agency's props and they used to come out and ask me every year if I wanted anything different from previous years. Well, nobody came asking this past year so I just assumed that since I didn't sign anything this past year that I would not have an ad in the phone book. I got the bill in the mail a month ago and not only did they automaticly renew me, they raised the price. I guess it just goes to show that you have to read all the fine print. I guess I need to set them up on an automatic renewal with price increase.

Has anyone else found that by having your name in the book all you get from it is price shoppers???

I think that it is 50/50. I mean I have gotten customers off from the phone book, but yes a lot of them want a price right then and there over the phone and cheap too.

I downsized my ad this year and since I downsized I lost my 40% discount. Go figure, I paid $210 a month last year for a dollar bill sized ad, I downsized to about 1/4 of that ad size and I pay $135 a month. That is just horrible. But if I would have went with a larger ad, I would have had to only pay approx $20 more. Give me a break:realmad:

TURFLORD
02-06-2006, 04:51 PM
I'll probably have to drop a couple $k on some new stuff. Maybe a new engine for the Dane. There is no such thing as cutting back. If you need it, buy it. One should plan these things out. Mainly I just want to clear more debt this year.payup

cantoo
02-06-2006, 04:52 PM
We are dropping a few customers this year and not really planning on adding many more unless they are really good. We have only gotten a few jobs from our phone book ad but are going to keep it in anyway. It seems to help us on commercial jobs because that is one of the reference checks they seem to do. If your not in the book then you mustn't be in business?
The only thing we need for our business is a newer dump truck. We also buy and sell equipment so if we don't buy we don't make money from selling it. I need to make some money off the new crop of cutters in the spring.

HOOLIE
02-06-2006, 05:16 PM
I won't be cutting back, but will be redirecting my advertising dollars AWAY from flyers...so many LCOs here, they all flyer, the few companies that distribute them end up with 10 or more LCO flyers in the same distribution :dizzy: So I'll be doing more print ads, probably keep a small amount of flyers on hand for spot targeting certain streets.

crzymow
02-06-2006, 06:01 PM
I recently purchased a turfmaker 550 hydorseeder, maybe goin to buy walker mower, depends on a few jobs Ive bid on. maybe a few odds and ends besides that, depends how the season goes

crzymow
02-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Oh yeah, almost forgot i really need a new dumptruck this year, well not brand new, just new to me.

AL Inc
02-06-2006, 06:28 PM
The only thing I'm really hoping to cut is a few deadbeats. As far as truck and equipment, I'm staying pretty much the same, with the exception of some small equipment, maybe a backpack blower and a few line trimmers. Looks like I will be going for the new truck in 2007.

milo
02-06-2006, 06:40 PM
I Am Thinking About Cutting Out My Whole Business. I Spent $12500.00 New Equipment Last Year And With The Price Of Gas You Dont Make No Money. Just Enought To Pay Bills And They Are Bills You Just Made Buying New Equipment. Lawn Business Is Going Down Hill Fast

lawnprosteveo
02-09-2006, 09:21 PM
I will be selling my ztr and mowing with just my 36 wb. I wont be buying ANY new equipment...just overhauling a couple of handheld tools to get 'em thru the summer. Also no advertising this yr...I have gotten to a point where I have all I can handle and I get plenty of referrals...