PDA

View Full Version : It ain't Rocket Science, but..............

bicmudpuppy
02-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Saw this going through some help wanted adds to day.............

Landscaping
FULL TIME HOURLY
IRRIGATION TECH &
TURF TECH
Irrigation tech to service
existing installations and
install new irrigation systems.
Turf tech to be
responsible for lawn
chemical applications.
Must be in good physical
condition. Experience is
helpful but not nec. Will
train. Call 913-897-9705

Experience is "helpfull" but not necessary? What a waste of time the last 25 years have been :rolleyes:

h2o2gunr
02-06-2006, 01:02 PM
you must be in kc? i saw that in the paper. pretty good indicator for the customers out there i think.

it is very sad state of affairs i feel like you also, ive spent $ and time and sweat and blood ahem.....been close to cryin a time or two. all for what? the industry is being taken over by people that sold cars a few years ago. i guess thats why no one wants an experienced irrigator. just slam it in!!!!

PurpHaze
02-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Some people think that because they can attach a hose to a faucet and turn it on they know everything there is to know about irrigation. :p

YardPro
02-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Some people think that because they can attach a hose to a faucet and turn it on they know everything there is to know about irrigation. :p

LOl too true..
i thought i knew a lot about irrigation ( for around here, i do).. but after listening to some of you guys i feel very naive

PurpHaze
02-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Duck when you see my post in another forum. Just being the Devil's Advocate. :)

YardPro
02-07-2006, 07:57 AM

oh,i see, backpeddeling now?????LOL :)

you just like her avitar.......:drinkup:

PurpHaze
02-07-2006, 08:12 AM
oh,i see, backpeddeling now?????LOL :)

you just like her avitar.......:drinkup:

LOL... Just hedging my bets. And it was all in fun. :)

bicmudpuppy
02-07-2006, 03:03 PM
I even looked to try and see what you said, but when you post like 100 per day, finding something you said somewhere else just ain't going to happen. I feel like I live here just with the irrigation posts. Do you actually get any work done besides being here?

YardPro
02-07-2006, 08:28 PM
LOL... Just hedging my bets. And it was all in fun. :)

no worries... i am rather blunt.. not much beating around the bushes... i know it comes off different than i mean to, so i always expect some flack....

it's tough being omnipotent:cool:

PurpHaze
02-07-2006, 08:52 PM
I even looked to try and see what you said, but when you post like 100 per day, finding something you said somewhere else just ain't going to happen. I feel like I live here just with the irrigation posts. Do you actually get any work done besides being here?

I do have knowledge in other areas of landscaping so I also frequent the hardscaping, maintenance & renovation, public athletic fields, lighting and off topic forums as well. I use a browser that is a multi-tab type and will have as many as six tabs (pages) open at the same time. With email notification it's easy to pick the tab of the forum, go there and then respond if necessary. I also get a lot of PMs from different members. :)

And yes, I actually put in an 8 hour day. I get up early and spend an hour on the computer before work, sometimes get on in the afternoon and then there's the evenings. I also manage to sandwich in dinner, meetings, visiting relatives, doctors' appointments, etc. between all this. :p

PurpHaze
02-07-2006, 08:56 PM
no worries... i am rather blunt.. not much beating around the bushes... i know it comes off different than i mean to, so i always expect some flack....

it's tough being omnipotent:cool:

LOL... They say that even if you took the worst enemies on a forum, bulletin board or email list and sat them down for dinner and drinks together they'd end up being best friends. The main problem with internet communication is that you can't tell the other person's tone of voice and body language so things often get distorted coming through a "visual gratification only" monitor. :p

sheshovel
02-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Mudpup..The "Dirty Water" thread about running drip from a stream like we were in the friggin dark ages or sumpthin!

PurpHaze
02-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Mudpup..The "Dirty Water" thread about running drip from a stream like we were in the friggin dark ages or sumpthin!

I thought that thread morphed into aquatic eggs or something. :p

Dirty Water
02-07-2006, 09:18 PM
haze: What browser? I use Firefox and it allows infinite tabs (well, at least, I haven't found a limit yet).

PurpHaze
02-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Jon,

My browser is the SBC/Yahoo one that comes with their setup for DSL. I've had more than six open at a time (experimenting) but I find that six is about the maximum my brain and fingers can handle at one time. :)

Dirty Water
02-07-2006, 09:27 PM
You should try firefox, it is (as my wife described it) "Bomb-diggity awesome".

www.firefox.org

PurpHaze
02-07-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm happy with this one but I'm always up for experimenting. Hell... Boots got me switched to Irfanview just for compressing pictures for this forum. :rolleyes:

Az Gardener
02-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Forgive me if I jump back to the original topic :) I usually want people with no experience because they have no bad habits. Let me rephrase; they have little or no industry knowledge that I have to try and re program. I don't think I would send an irrigation tech out into the field without a months experience tagging along with another tech and doing another 30 days of installs. Also no experience is code for low wages paid. The last experienced Irrigation tech I hired I found sleeping under a tree. I wrote him a note explaining he was no longer needed and had a laborer from a nearby job drive the truck back. Best tech I ever had was a ranch kid from Wyoming, didn't know squat about anything except cows, horses, trucks, and women. I sent him to all the classes and trained him right great tech.

PurpHaze
02-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Forgive me if I jump back to the original topic :)

Quite all right. We have a tendency to veer off topic quite often. :p

I usually want people with no experience because they have no bad habits. Let me rephrase; they have little or no industry knowledge that I have to try and re program.

When we have larger projects we'll have groundsmen work with us who want to learn a little more about irrigation. First thing I tell them is to forget about everything they think they know about their home sprinklers and have an open mind. :)

sheshovel
02-07-2006, 10:34 PM
I thought that thread morphed into aquatic eggs or something. :p
You if anybody should have seen past that and known what I ment in saying it.Drip from dirty water=dirty drip,high maintenance and will have to be constantly monitored for problems..Maybey Dirty Waters town uses it but you know as well as I do Purple what "town"irrigation is all about.It is not a practice I would recomend for someone who has a cust who does not even want to clean the filters as per whAt I read in that thread.So's if ya think Sheshovel is REALLY incorrect in her evaluation of the situation.and is giving in..yer wrong again.:p :p :p

sheshovel
02-07-2006, 10:37 PM
EERRR sorry what was topic again?...OH I need a job like that please hire me!Will I have to relocate to Kansas?I can't help it but every time I hear the word Kansas I think of "Gee TOTO wer'e not in Kansas anymore"!
Sorry mudpup!I'm sure you get that alot.

bicmudpuppy
02-07-2006, 10:43 PM
EERRR sorry what was topic again?...OH I need a job like that please hire me!Will I have to relocate to Kansas?I can't help it but every time I hear the word Kansas I think of "Gee TOTO wer'e not in Kansas anymore"!
Sorry mudpup!I'm sure you get that alot.
LOL, I am going to the Emerald City later, can I pick up anything for you? :gunsfirin

sheshovel
02-07-2006, 11:10 PM
A couple of those cool flying monkeys would be gooD!

PurpHaze
02-08-2006, 08:18 AM
So's if ya think Sheshovel is REALLY incorrect in her evaluation of the situation.and is giving in..yer wrong again.:p :p :p

LOL... Lay it on me SS. I know what you mean about those not wanting to have anything to do with maintaining their system and if there are problems with drip systems they can multiply rather quickly. We used to install drip here on our site but one cut or clog and we'd have problems down the rest of the line. Had so many problems with it that we abandoned it and switched to hardpiping everything. Got to the point that we could install a complete hardpiped zone in the amount of time it took us to repair a drip zone.

Now, conversely I have drip at my home that rarely has any problems. But we're careful with shovels and weedeaters around it and there's been very few problems so it continues to work flawlessly.

sheshovel
02-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Exactlt..and your home system is a clean water system am I correct?

PurpHaze
02-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Exactlt..and your home system is a clean water system am I correct?

Actually, I prefer the water out of the fridge dispenser after it's gone through a filter. :p

PurpHaze
02-13-2006, 04:15 PM
You should try firefox, it is (as my wife described it) "Bomb-diggity awesome".

www.firefox.org

Jon... You might want to read this PC World article on applications with security problems. Firefox is listed in the top 20 with security holes.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124510,tk,wbxnws,00.asp

Squizzy246B
02-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Its not rocket science!....in fact, even Haze can do it;) :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Its not rocket science!....in fact, even Haze can do it;) :laugh:

Was wondering when you'd make it back this way Squizzy. Must have been working or on holiday. Any new pics in the hardscaping forum? clapping

Dirty Water
02-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Jon... You might want to read this PC World article on applications with security problems. Firefox is listed in the top 20 with security holes.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124510,tk,wbxnws,00.asp

http://images.pcworld.com/news/graphics/124510-2403p016-2b.jpg

Well, compare FireFox with internet explorer (btw, your browser that your ISP gave you is IE wrapped up in a pretty package, it uses the same core rendering engine and has the same security problems).

No Browser is perfect, Firefox happens to be one of the most stable and tight browsers, as long as you use common sense.

One of the greatest things about Firefox is the fact that because it is open source, if a flaw is found, it is fixed and a patch is issued in a matter of hours or days instead of weeks or months for Micro$oft.

PurpHaze
02-13-2006, 07:23 PM
True... Nothing is perfect. What I liked about the article is what it had to say about Mac users in that just because they have a fairly secure OS it's now trangressing more into program problems. They're no longer invincible. hammer

Squizzy246B
02-14-2006, 03:57 AM
Was wondering when you'd make it back this way Squizzy. Must have been working or on holiday. Any new pics in the hardscaping forum? clapping

Ok Ok..I'll post a few tomorrow....and where is the smiley with the Aussie Flag?...thats discrimination!!!!;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PurpHaze
02-14-2006, 08:06 AM
Ok Ok..I'll post a few tomorrow....and where is the smiley with the Aussie Flag?...thats discrimination!!!!;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Post Sean and he might be able to come up with one. us flag