PDA

View Full Version : Question on Laser Levels

GreenMonster
02-06-2006, 02:54 PM
First, I'm kinda curious what brands/models some of you guys are using.

I tried the Home Cheapo $400 CST/Berger. It was a manual level laser which I found frustrating to constantly check and readjust for level. so, I think I want a self leveling unit, although I'm wondering how to set it to a pitch, say for your 2% on a walkway or patio. Do most self leveling lasers have the ability to use in manual mode?

neversatisfiedj
02-06-2006, 03:00 PM
I have the berger from HD. I have no proble with it. I like the ability to read elevations by myself. Once you set it and level it. You should be able to shoot your levels w/out moving it that many times.

GreenMonster
02-06-2006, 03:03 PM
I have the berger from HD. I have no proble with it. I like the ability to read elevations by myself. Once you set it and level it. You should be able to shoot your levels w/out moving it that many times.

The biggest problem I had with it was that it didn't maintain level well. Kept drifting, I didn't move it. Other than that the drifting, it was easy to use, though I'm not sure how you set this one for pitch either.

cgland
02-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Mark - We have a CST/Berger. I think it is the LMH-600. It is self leveling and works very well for us. I believe we paid like $1000-$1100 or something.

Chris

mbella
02-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Mark, we use a Topcon self leveler with the single slope feature. I have to say, we never use the slope feature. Self leveling is a must in my opinion.

Squizzy246B
02-06-2006, 04:53 PM
David White and Leica Rugby, both self levelling. Manual levels are very very inaccurate at any distance.

GreenMonster
02-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Ok, thanks guys, good info.

Mike, Chris, Squizz, how are you setting self-leveling to a slope. Mike - you say you don't use it, but how do you set your slope on a patio?

GreenMonster
02-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Mark - We have a CST/Berger. I think it is the LMH-600. It is self leveling and works very well for us. I believe we paid like $1000-$1100 or something.

Chris

That seems to be the going rate for a half-decent self leveler.

cgland
02-06-2006, 05:12 PM
We simply calculate the pitch we need, find point A, find point B and connect the dots.

Chris

GreenMonster
02-06-2006, 05:19 PM
We simply calculate the pitch we need, find point A, find point B and connect the dots.

Chris

ummm.... can you be more specific? I mean, is there a reciever you put on the stick, like with the $400 I used? Do you "tip" your laser manually so it is on plane with the desired slope?

D Felix
02-06-2006, 05:57 PM
No, dummy! (I'd call you something else, but it'd get edited.:)) You gotta go back to school and learn how to do math... Guess you watch too much football and baseball to remember how to do that.:rolleyes:

For ease of explanation, say you have a patio 100' long. You want a grade of 2%. Starting at the uphill point, shoot your mark (yes, using the detector). Then go out 50' and shoot a mark 1' ABOVE that one (by above, I mean on the stick. To go downhill, you gotta go up on the stick. Basic stuff, but even *I* have to think about it on Mondays...). Then go out to the 100' mark and shoot another 1' above the last. There's your 2%. :D Math for you New Englanders. Apparently the cold makes you forget things!:p

You can't 'tip' a self leveler. It won't work. To acheive grade, you either have to do math, or pony up more dough on a grade laser.

FWIW, personally I like Topcons. The RL-3h is what we started out with at my last job, traded it in later on a single slope grade laser. I think the first one (level only) was ~$1100 with stick, detector, and tripod. I'm not sure what the new one would have run (since we already had the stick, and tripod), but I'm thinking it would have been in the $2500-3k range. Don't know about you, but I can do a fair amount of math for that difference.

GreenMonster
02-06-2006, 06:23 PM
No, dummy! (I'd call you something else, but it'd get edited.:)) You gotta go back to school and learn how to do math... Guess you watch too much football and baseball to remember how to do that.:rolleyes:

For ease of explanation, say you have a patio 100' long. You want a grade of 2%. Starting at the uphill point, shoot your mark (yes, using the detector). Then go out 50' and shoot a mark 1' ABOVE that one (by above, I mean on the stick. To go downhill, you gotta go up on the stick. Basic stuff, but even *I* have to think about it on Mondays...). Then go out to the 100' mark and shoot another 1' above the last. There's your 2%. :D Math for you New Englanders. Apparently the cold makes you forget things!:p

You can't 'tip' a self leveler. It won't work. To acheive grade, you either have to do math, or pony up more dough on a grade laser.

FWIW, personally I like Topcons. The RL-3h is what we started out with at my last job, traded it in later on a single slope grade laser. I think the first one (level only) was ~$1100 with stick, detector, and tripod. I'm not sure what the new one would have run (since we already had the stick, and tripod), but I'm thinking it would have been in the $2500-3k range. Don't know about you, but I can do a fair amount of math for that difference.

Hey Zipperhead, I'm not asking how to do the math :rolleyes: I'm asking how to go about using your laser when you're laying base on a patio. Sounds like you really can't set up the laser and use that as your only reference. That being the case, I'm not convinced a laser would be much more helpful than how I'm doing it now.

I do have another question for you though, Dan.... how much mulch do I need for a 25'x37' bed, if I want to put it down 3" deep ??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dirty Water
02-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Mark, if you tip a self leveling laser it will readjust so its still level...Thats the point of a self leveler :)

Unless you have it really tipped, then it will give you all sorts of beeps hehe.

You haven't experienced the joy of a laser until it breaks and you have to use a transit and batter boards to form up the footing for a 6000 sq ft house.

MarcusLndscp
02-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Mark
Did you return that CST/Berger to Home Depot or do you still have it? I got the same one and it pulls the same BS that you're saying yours does. I set it up and then 5 minutes later I go back and look at it and it's out of level. This has happened to me numerous times and I can't seem to figure what the problem is. At this point I would just assume return the freakin thing.
Let me know if HD took it back no problem or not. I don't have the box or anything anymore so I'm not sure if they'll accept it back.

GreenMonster
02-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Mark
Did you return that CST/Berger to Home Depot or do you still have it? I got the same one and it pulls the same BS that you're saying yours does. I set it up and then 5 minutes later I go back and look at it and it's out of level. This has happened to me numerous times and I can't seem to figure what the problem is. At this point I would just assume return the freakin thing.
Let me know if HD took it back no problem or not. I don't have the box or anything anymore so I'm not sure if they'll accept it back.

Yeah Mark, I brought it back, no ?'s asked. I did have the box though. Tell em it's not accurate enough for what you're doing and hopefully that will be enough.

Jon - I understand the principle of "self-leveling", which is why I asked if there was a manual mode on some of these units, which would allow you to planize the laser with adjustment screws, to a non-level, but still flat, plane.

YardPro
02-06-2006, 08:40 PM
why is that a big deal????
doing the math is pretty easy.
i prefer using stakes and strings as opposed to using the level for my base area( of course i mark my grade stakes with the laser....)..

GreenMonster
02-06-2006, 09:03 PM
why is that a big deal????
doing the math is pretty easy.
i prefer using stakes and strings as opposed to using the level for my base area( of course i mark my grade stakes with the laser....)..

Geez, what is with you guys?

When did I say the math is a big deal??? I'm quite sure I'm capable of determining total slope across a given distance. Matter of fact, seeing that I haven't been using a laser, I've been doing that anyhow!

I'm just curious if there is anyone using their laser in a slope mode to make base installation more efficient on walkways and patios. And, if they are, how is it being done if indeed you CAN NOT set your entry level self-leveling laser to a slope. Maybe it's not more efficient... great! That's all I'm looking to find out!

I thought I might be able to get a little input from you guys before I went and laid down $1000 or more smackers for a level, or even more for one that is capable of shooting slopes. At this point, it's quite obvious that trial and error, and possibly even throwing away $1,000 or more for the wrong laser would be less painful than continuing with this thread.

Geez. :rolleyes:

mbella
02-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Geez, what is with you guys?

When did I say the math is a big deal??? I'm quite sure I'm capable of determining total slope across a given distance. Matter of fact, seeing that I haven't been using a laser, I've been doing that anyhow!

I'm just curious if there is anyone using their laser in a slope mode to make base installation more efficient on walkways and patios. And, if they are, how is it being done if indeed you CAN NOT set your entry level self-leveling laser to a slope. Maybe it's not more efficient... great! That's all I'm looking to find out!

I thought I might be able to get a little input from you guys before I went and laid down $1000 or more smackers for a level, or even more for one that is capable of shooting slopes. At this point, it's quite obvious that trial and error, and possibly even throwing away $1,000 or more for the wrong laser would be less painful than continuing with this thread.

Geez. :rolleyes:

Mark, it sounds like you're having trouble with the math. If you want help, just PM me.:)

Seriously, I paid right around $1200.00 for our Topcon, which has the single slope feature.

Dirty Water
02-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Heh, This is what Google thinks:

http://quiltingpassion.com/sreg/math.jpg

cgland
02-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Relax Guy! We're just trying to help you with the math! Can't you put 2 and 2 together? I seems as if you are DIVIDED right now on using your laser or buying another. Make sure you ADD up all the pros and cons. Using a bad laser will just MULTIPLY all your problems. Just make sure that when you are grading your 3/4" MINUS base that you take several readings from across your pitch and it will all EQUAL out.:p :p

P.S. Seriously, get a better laser cheap skate!

Chris

GreenMonster
02-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Gee, how did I know my post would result in only more smart azz replies :rolleyes:

BTW, anyone figure out the mulch problem yet? I need to send out the estimate, which I have even more questions on. Maybe you guys can price a job out for me later too.

cgland
02-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Gee, how did I know my post would result in only more smart azz replies :rolleyes:

BTW, anyone figure out the mulch problem yet? I need to send out the estimate, which I have even more questions on. Maybe you guys can price a job out for me later too.

8.564814814 yards to be EXACT!

Chris

Dirty Water
02-06-2006, 10:12 PM
8.564814814 yards to be EXACT!

Chris

I was picking up a couple yards of 3/8" basalt the other day, and the loader operator only gave me 1/2 a scoop and told me it was a yard. I know how much my truck holds, and what a yard looks like, so I convinced him to give me another one heh. He wasn't happy being caught.

He probably would have gone ballistic if I had asked for a yard to the hundred thousanth decimal place :)

cgland
02-06-2006, 10:16 PM
I was picking up a couple yards of 3/8" basalt the other day, and the loader operator only gave me 1/2 a scoop and told me it was a yard. I know how much my truck holds, and what a yard looks like, so I convinced him to give me another one heh. He wasn't happy being caught.

He probably would have gone ballistic if I had asked for a yard to the hundred thousanth decimal place :)

We have a supply yard near us that rips everyone off! They have a skidder with a one cu. yd. bucket on it, but they welded a plate inside the bucket that essentially cuts a 1/4 yard out.:gunsfirin :gunsfirin :nono:

Drafto
02-06-2006, 10:17 PM
ummm.... can you be more specific? I mean, is there a reciever you put on the stick, like with the $400 I used? Do you "tip" your laser manually so it is on plane with the desired slope?

No disrespect meant here but are you an idiot Mark? I see a lot of your posts and you do some really nice work. I know I ask some stupid questions but normally I just back off and listen, but you pretty much are admitting your an idiot here.

I use a Porter Cable self leveling transit, when I got it I had a start-up budget in mind. I wish I would have gone with the rotary laser, I think this year I will be buying one.

I am just joking with the idiot stuff, but it is not often I get to call someone that on here.

Dan

Dirty Water
02-06-2006, 10:18 PM
I've been had a few times. Worst time was when I was quoted $20 a yard for 3/8 with fines, got it loaded, walked inside and was billed $33 a yard.

Last time I dealt with that supplier.

cgland
02-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Dan - Are you an idiot for calling Mark an idiot? He will have Marcus on you like white on rice Buddy!
As far as any purchases, MAHTS will be the place.

Chris

Drafto
02-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Dan - Are you an idiot for calling Mark an idiot? He will have Marcus on you like white on rice Buddy!
As far as any purchases, MAHTS will be the place.

Chris

Do they really have some good deals there? Or is it all just hype? Should I plan on going down on Monday or are the better deals towards the end of the week. I can't believe that pr!ck won my compactor the day, now I will be looking for one of those too. Oh, and I checked with Marcus before I called Mark an idiot, he said Mark would just tie him up later and beat him for it.

Dan

mbella
02-06-2006, 10:29 PM
This is definitely off topic, but that hasn't stopped anybody else.

I have to say, I am relieved to see GM and Marc posting. I feared that they were injured in that gay bar attack in New England the other day.

Obviously, they are ok and posting away.

cgland
02-06-2006, 10:31 PM
The "show" doesn't actually start untill WED.....idiot! j/k I think the end of the week is better. People don't want to take all that stuff back. Last year I bought a Partner K700 for $700. I thought that was a pretty good deal........idiot!

Chris

Drafto
02-06-2006, 10:36 PM
This is definitely off topic, but that hasn't stopped anybody else.

I have to say, I am relieved to see GM and Marc posting. I feared that they were injured in that gay bar attack in New England the other day.

I love the fact the somehow every thread lately gets hi-jacked with gayness! It used to be Chris' pictures in every thread, now it is the word gay.

Dan

mbella
02-06-2006, 10:37 PM
I love the fact the somehow every thread lately gets hi-jacked with gayness! It used to be Chris' pictures in every thread, now it is the word gay.

Dan

I love how every thread gets hijacked with you complaining.:)

cgland
02-06-2006, 10:39 PM
I feared that they were injured in that gay bar attack in New England the other day.

ROTFLMFAO!

P.S. rotflmfao!

Chris

cgland
02-06-2006, 10:46 PM
By the way check this out!

Chris

Drafto
02-06-2006, 10:47 PM
I love how every thread gets hijacked with you complaining.:)

Complaining???:confused: I love the gay hi-jacks, there is nothing more insulting than to be on the news involved in a gay bar attack, then exposed by one of your peers. I love it, I am not complaining, but I will take note that you think I complain.

Dan

Drafto
02-06-2006, 10:49 PM
By the way check this out!

Chris

I like the 3/4 river jack buffer Chris. Was that planned you did you need something to fill that space? It is a nice touch.

Dan

cgland
02-06-2006, 10:52 PM
I like the 3/4 river jack buffer Chris. Was that planned you did you need something to fill that space? It is a nice touch.

Dan

I don't like having water puddle up against a wall, so I put river stone there for drainage.

P.S. this pic was meant as a joke!:rolleyes:

Chris

mbella
02-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Complaining???:confused: I love the gay hi-jacks, there is nothing more insulting than to be on the news involved in a gay bar attack, then exposed by one of your peers. I love it, I am not complaining, but I will take note that you think I complain.

Dan

Dan, I didn't mention your getting pistol whipped at the Pink Flamingo and then having your Scion stolen.

I didn't expose you, you did!

Drafto
02-06-2006, 10:57 PM
P.S. this pic was meant as a joke!:rolleyes:

Chris

Seriously Chris, you don't have to act like it was a joke.

Dan

cgland
02-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Touche'

Chris

Rex Mann
02-06-2006, 11:20 PM
We use Spectra Physics lasers without the slope feature.
We simply start at point A go to point B and mark them
both level. Then we adjust the pitch on the point B pin.
We do the same thing on our other stations. We use string
lines on our marks to rough grade our base.

Peace,

Rex

http://ArizonaPavers.Com

Squizzy246B
02-07-2006, 06:08 AM

D Felix, almost all basic auto levellers (of any quality - non-home handy man) can easily set a gradient, by cranking the beam down or up. The Leica should be about $1000.00 in your money and the David White less but I heard the David White brand got bought out. Almost all the actual lasers on the market, (1000 to 2000 USD) even those that say "Made in America", Made in Germany etc are actually made in Singapore.

GreenMonster
02-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Rex and Squizz, thanks for the last two replies. Squizz, that's what I've been getting at. It seems logical to me anyhow that an auto-leveling laser would let you set to a "manual mode" and allow you set your own slope.

The rest of you queers should put in a request for a "Gay Forum" and hang out there.

Squizzy246B
02-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Rex and Squizz, thanks for the last two replies. Squizz, that's what I've been getting at. It seems logical to me anyhow that an auto-leveling laser would let you set to a "manual mode" and allow you set your own slope.

The rest of you queers should put in a request for a "Gay Forum" and hang out there.

Its pretty simple, you just crank the beam down till it hits the staff at the bottom and bingo, your off.....simple

It ain't rocket science...but always keep the instruction manual handy to set the grade....otherwise you have to be a real goose and ring up the dealer and ask dumb questions like..Duh how do I set the grade?..an stuff...not that I've ever done that of course..NoNo...just heard about that:rolleyes: happening:blush: :blush: :blush:

SPLC
02-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Just bought a Mikrofyn self-leveling with a slope option up to 10%. The unit is small (much smaller than a topcon or david white), came with two rechargable battery packs, and charger. I paid $1100 for the unit, 16' stick, and a tripod with bubbles in it to get you started leveling.

Can't wait to exit the stone age and become a modern contractor.:drinkup:

MarcusLndscp
02-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Mark
HD wouldn't take mine back without a receipt and they said they could not look it up cause I was 7 days over their 90 day policy :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: . I'm trying to contact Home Depot headquarters to help look up my purchase since it was with a credit card. The store said they could only give me $200 back and I paid $400:gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin

Drafto
02-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Mark
HD wouldn't take mine back without a receipt and they said they could not look it up cause I was 7 days over their 90 day policy :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: . I'm trying to contact Home Depot headquarters to help look up my purchase since it was with a credit card. The store said they could only give me $200 back and I paid $400:gunsfirin :gunsfirin :gunsfirin

Tell them you bought it last week. They will take anything back, just take the store credit and roll.

Dan

MarcusLndscp
02-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Dan I paid $400 and they will only give me a $200 credit

Drafto
02-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Dan I paid $400 and they will only give me a $200 credit

Why would that be? Was it on sale or something recently? They have taken back anything I have ever bought and tried to return. Maybe wait until tomorrow when someone who hates their job is working.

Dan

MarcusLndscp
02-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Because I have no receipt they are only required to give you the lowest sale price that particular item has been sold for. Who's to say I didn't buy it when it was on sale for $199?

Drafto
02-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Because I have no receipt they are only required to give you the lowest sale price that particular item has been sold for. Who's to say I didn't buy it when it was on sale for $199?

Now I understand. Even you you contact them regarding it being a credit card transaction, who is to say you didn't already return it and purchase it again when it was on sale. I think your screwed. You could try a Lowes or another store that carries them and hope they weren't on sale. I think your SOL my man.

Dan

UNISCAPER
02-08-2006, 09:19 AM
We have two. NCS single plane we use for checking flat grades. Then we recently installed Mar-Con auto lazer on one 301.8, and a 257B. Set the thing, and all the operator needs to do is control the machine. The computer controls the digging attachments. The single plane lazer was $800.00 with tripod. The auto lazer with computer installed on the machines neared $20K.

What it does is allows a person to dig accurately without the use of another person or the need to stop to check their work. It should pay for itself in a year. The only way you can make money is top rid yourself of as many employees as possible and still produce the same work.

GreenMonster
02-08-2006, 09:26 AM
We have two. NCS single plane we use for checking flat grades. Then we recently installed Mar-Con auto lazer on one 301.8, and a 257B. Set the thing, and all the operator needs to do is control the machine. The computer controls the digging attachments. The single plane lazer was $800.00 with tripod. The auto lazer with computer installed on the machines neared $20K.

What it does is allows a person to dig accurately without the use of another person or the need to stop to check their work. It should pay for itself in a year. The only way you can make money is top rid yourself of as many employees as possible and still produce the same work.

Yes, bill, machine mount auto-lasers are neat. I surprised you could get an outfit for 20K. That's more than I would want right now (to spend anyhow :) ), but I can immediately see it useful for trenching SRW base. Right now, you have a guy standing there along side working the trench and checking the grade. It would be nice on patio base too.

I have to go back through this thread and find the useful suggestions and take a look at what is the best laser option for me.

cwlawley
02-08-2006, 10:39 AM
We use Topcon HL Series self-leveling lasers. They have the "C" option which is the regular model, "cl" which is the long model and "cs" which is the slope model.

You can pick the HL-3C up at Transit and Level Clinic for $895 with a tripod and a measuring rod. They have offices in Raleigh, Charlotte, Beaumont, TX. Their number if anyone is interested is 919-467-7782.

D Felix
02-08-2006, 08:47 PM
All kidding aside, personally, I'd stay away from CST/Berger or David White, as they are now the same company from what I understand. This information is a coupla years old, but from what I understand, when CST bought DW, the service end of things went downhill, fast. IIRC, the only service work that was performed was in Chicago, and it took several weeks for anything to get fixed.

Never had a problem with the Topcon, and the dealer was a servicing dealer so if a problem did arise, they could fix it. Plus you could get a loaner while it was in the shop.

Most self-levelers do not have any kind of adjustment knobs. You set up your tripod so the top plate is somewhat level, pop on the laser, screw it down and walk away. As long as the batteries are good and the top plate of the tripod is within tolerances, the laser should be spinning before you get the stick out of the case and get the eye on it and ready to shoot grade. AFAIK, *some* of the self-levelers (levels only, not grade lasers) may be able to be "locked" and then tipped, but I don't know for sure.

Best bet is to find a dealer and get something set up that way. Forget HD/Lowes/etc. If you are buying new and it cost less than $900 for the laser, tripod, stick and eye, it's probably too cheap. What I would call a good range for a self-leveling laser (non-slope) would be $1000-1500.

Just two cents worth from a guy who hasn't been back long enough to fully understand the gay thing.:D

Dan

Drafto
02-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Mark,

Here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/B000078ONM/ref=dp_bb_a//002-4747185-5980005?condition=new/

If you go to the topcon website you can find a dealer in your area. Maybe you can get a better price on Amazon or the internet somewhere, and just have it serviced at a dealer near you. It really didn't hit me until I read Bill Schwabb's post how much labor these things can save. When 2 of us are excavating, one would has to get off the machine to shoot the grade. I am still not sure why you need the slope feature, or ever why any of us would need it. For a controlled slope? Maybe someone that uses this feature could elaborate on that feature.

Dan

P.S. It is nice to see you back on the board Dan.

mbella
02-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Mark,

Here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/offer-listing/B000078ONM/ref=dp_bb_a//002-4747185-5980005?condition=new/

If you go to the topcon website you can find a dealer in your area. Maybe you can get a better price on Amazon or the internet somewhere, and just have it serviced at a dealer near you. It really didn't hit me until I read Bill Schwabb's post how much labor these things can save. When 2 of us are excavating, one would has to get off the machine to shoot the grade. I am still not sure why you need the slope feature, or ever why any of us would need it. For a controlled slope? Maybe someone that uses this feature could elaborate on that feature.

Dan

P.S. It is nice to see you back on the board Dan.

Dan, nobody ever "needs" the slope feature. Let's say you're laying a pipe from point A to point B. You can set the elevation at point B and forget calculations. This would allow you (or a laborer) to check the pipe elevation without thinking. Just listen for the solid tone.

Also, another benefit of the laser is that when you go on an estimate for a job that involves slope, you are able to shoot the elevations without bringing a laborer along. When I first started, I used a transit. When I went on an appointment that involved slope, I would meet the customer, pinpoint what they were looking for, and return the next day with a laborer to shoot the elevations. What a waste of time.

cgland
02-08-2006, 09:33 PM
I am still not sure why you need the slope feature, or ever why any of us would need it. For a controlled slope? Maybe someone that uses this feature could elaborate on that feature.

You win the award for the most use of the word "feature" in a post.:waving:

Dfelix - We have a CST and we just sent it in for some repairs, so we will see how long it takes. The place I bought it said 10-14 days and they would give me a loaner if I need it. We will see.

Chris

Drafto
02-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Dan, nobody ever "needs" the slope feature. Let's say you're laying a pipe from point A to point B. You can set the elevation at point B and forget calculations. This would allow you (or a laborer) to check the pipe elevation without thinking. Just listen for the solid tone.

Also, another benefit of the laser is that when you go on an estimate for a job that involves slope, you are able to shoot the elevations without bringing a laborer along. When I first started, I used a transit. When I went on an appointment that involved slope, I would meet the customer, pinpoint what they were looking for, and return the next day with a laborer to shoot the elevations. What a waste of time.

That is what I was thinking it just eliminates the calculations, it seemed there was more to it, thats why I asked. I love the estimate by yourself feature of the lasers too. So for a 2 man crew, with one man that can do the calcs, there is no need for the slope feature?

Dan

Drafto
02-08-2006, 09:44 PM
You win the award for the most use of the word "feature" in a post.:waving:

Dfelix - We have a CST and we just sent it in for some repairs, so we will see how long it takes. The place I bought it said 10-14 days and they would give me a loaner if I need it. We will see.

Chris

Touche'

I over featured.

Dan

mbella
02-08-2006, 10:00 PM
That is what I was thinking it just eliminates the calculations, it seemed there was more to it, thats why I asked. I love the estimate by yourself feature of the lasers too. So for a 2 man crew, with one man that can do the calcs, there is no need for the slope feature?

Dan

Yep. No need to braing bang it.