PDA

View Full Version : Master Plumbers?

skurkp
02-06-2006, 04:14 PM
I was told last week that Texas is now requiring irrigators to have a master p[lumber to install all of the back flows on new installs. Does anyone in my area know about this?

Dirty Water
02-06-2006, 08:17 PM
In my opinion, it won't be long before you have to be a master plumber to touch any type of pipe in texas.

better start studying.

Wet_Boots
02-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Pipes? I thought they all used Zig Zag wheat straws :eek:

Dirty Water
02-06-2006, 09:23 PM
I tried to roll a smoke using a zig zag paper once. Screw cheap smokes, thats too much effort.

advanced irrigation
02-06-2006, 09:58 PM
that doesnt make a whole lot of sense. why does Texas put us through all the BS and now they want to take that away from us. If you don't mind, who told you? how hard is it to become a master plumber in Texas?

Dirty Water
02-06-2006, 10:00 PM
that doesnt make a whole lot of sense. why does Texas put us through all the BS and now they want to take that away from us. If you don't mind, who told you? how hard is it to become a master plumber in Texas?

I was just joking in the my post, Texas seems to have some silly irrigation rules.

Jerry mentioned something about one county requiring SCH 40 for everything, and a plumber had to inspect if before backfill?

The day I find a plumber who doesn't tell me you can install a whole system in 1/2" is the day I retire :)

advanced irrigation
02-06-2006, 10:04 PM
:) i know what you are saying, plumbers around here dont know half of what i do. sad to say the least

PurpHaze
02-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Pipes? I thought they all used Zig Zag wheat straws :eek:

Not that I would know what a Sneak-a-Toke is but I understand they're good for medicinal applications. (My knee and back are still hurting.) :cool2:

Dirty Water
02-06-2006, 10:57 PM
I want to clarify that it was tobaco in my failed zig zag :)

My pot days are over heh, and besides, joints are waste of the good stuff...

skurkp
02-07-2006, 08:21 AM
I understand that FortBend county is requiring the master plumber to install everything from the connection to the main water supply to the back flow, then the irrigator can complete the rest of the job.

bicmudpuppy
02-07-2006, 08:35 AM
I understand that FortBend county is requiring the master plumber to install everything from the connection to the main water supply to the back flow, then the irrigator can complete the rest of the job.
As I remember the way the history was told to me, the irrigation licensing program was supposed to delete that. It kind of back fired on the plumbers because the end result was that even a master plumber who was not irrigation licensed couldn't make a legal tap. Call the TIA or a local chapter and ask. Worst case scenario, that master plumber is going to have to be a licensed irrigator too!. The folks in that county will not appreciate what a master plumber w/ a TIL# is going to think of his labor to do that work. It is also VERY possible you are dealing with a PI who has no clue how the state and local codes actually read and is enforcing rules that are not accurate and that he/she doesn't understand! Again, a call to the TIA or a local chapter will clear the fog.

ESprinklers
03-04-2006, 02:10 PM
An irrigator licensed in the state of Texas is legally able to make the POC and backflow installation unless county or city ordances say otherwise. Orange, Jefferson and Hardin counties where we install, do not require a licensed plumber to make any connections for you. And most licensed plumbers will tell you that, although legally capable of doing so, have no interest in installing irrigation systems. And I'm fairly sure they have no interest in having to baby sit a licensed irrigator making a point of connection either.

PurpHaze
03-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Some states have different movements on for various irrigation aspects. I forget where I read it (maybe IA) but a couple of states were trying to adopt a "low voltage" license requirement in order to install controllers and wiring.

Dennis Spencer
03-04-2006, 06:31 PM
On 1-1-06 Memphis,TN requires low voltage license and a bond.Then for each job you must pull a permit. $35.00

Dirty Water
03-04-2006, 07:03 PM
No LV license here yet, though I've heard talks of it.