PDA

View Full Version : DC powered trash pump

Dirty Water
02-06-2006, 09:21 PM
I got to thinking today about some sort of trash pump while I was bailing water out of a hole (Nailed a poly line that wasn't supposed to be there).

Seems to me that you could use a trash pump and power it off a heavy duty DC motor. Build the sucker into your truck and wire it up so it runs off the battery/alternator.

That part would be easy for me to rig up, but I'd love to set something up where I could roll 50' of 3/4" hose off of a reel, drop it in hole, and fire up the pump on the truck and have it keep the hole clean while I'm working.

My question, is there such a beast that could pull water that far without having it primed first?

YardPro
02-06-2006, 09:44 PM
how about a 12v boat bilge pump??
you could use one of those portable jumper packs as a power source

PurpHaze
02-06-2006, 10:53 PM
(Nailed a poly line that wasn't supposed to be there).

(1) Don't hit them. :p

I'd love to set something up where I could roll 50' of 3/4" hose off of a reel, drop it in hole, and fire up the pump on the truck and have it keep the hole clean while I'm working.

(2) Turn the water off. :p

(3) :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Dirty Water
02-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Yeah...thanks for the help Hayes :)

PurpHaze
02-06-2006, 10:59 PM
What would you do with the water after you pump it up with this invention? Down the gutter if there's one? Out into a canal? Perhaps the Juan de Fuca? :p

Dirty Water
02-06-2006, 11:07 PM
I was figuring I'd tow around a trailer with a 1000 gallon storage tank, and when it got full, I'd stick a fedex sticker on it and send it to you.

I was thinking more like using a discharge hose as well.

PurpHaze
02-06-2006, 11:12 PM
I was figuring I'd tow around a trailer with a 1000 gallon storage tank, and when it got full, I'd stick a fedex sticker on it and send it to you.

I don't think it's legal any longer to import water from Washington. And if it did get down here we'd just sell it to L.A. :p

I was thinking more like using a discharge hose as well.

We call them "pooper scoopers"... those that pump out septic tanks? :rolleyes:

bicmudpuppy
02-07-2006, 12:02 AM
as long as your not sucking mud.......
The 12v bilge pump is a good idea. If you want to hard wire it to your truck, use a pair of 12ga wires taped to that garden hose. drop the pump itself into the hole so you don't have any suction, and as long as your using a ladder to get down there, you should be able to push the water 50-100' easily enough. BTW, an inverter and extension cord for a 1/3 or 1/2 hp sump pump ain't that expensive either.

I thought you were the guy with all the help.........can't they run a hand pump while you do the fun part??

Dirty Water
02-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Great idea's everyone, I'll look into a bilge pump. That is a good iea.

I thought you were the guy with all the help.........can't they run a hand pump while you do the fun part??

You know how winter months are.

We lay off our summer crew in the late fall, and its typically a 3 man show during the winter.

YardPro
02-07-2006, 08:20 AM
i have used one before andit worked fine...
i have a rechargable 12v compressor.flashight combo that has a cigarette lighter style plug that will power 12v items...
i used it.. the compressor is only about $50.00.. and holds a charge a long time..

PurpHaze
02-07-2006, 09:20 AM
You know how winter months are.

We lay off our summer crew in the late fall, and its typically a 3 man show during the winter.

Yeah... Real pain in the a$$. We cut back from our two guys during the summer to... TWO guys during the winter. :p

PurpHaze
02-07-2006, 09:26 AM

One professional contractor here uses plastic cups for pumping out water. :)

I've already mentioned this before but we use Beckson hand pumps for the small stuff and a Honda gas-powered pump when we work on the big stuff. The Honda only takes about 5 minutes to completely set up and get going. Nice thing about the Honda pump is that you can go full-bore when the water is first there and then cut it back to idle speed when the water is just trickling. Even at idle speed the pump does not lose its prime and will pick up when the water gets over the inlet piece.

PurpHaze
02-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Here's a picture from yesterday. We had a large swampy area determined to be caused by a weeping 1" valve diaphram that supplies tree bubblers. We had to turn the 8" backflow back on temporarily to determine that this truly was the problem and that there weren't other problems associated with two other valves in the area or even possibly with a main line leak. By re-energizing the main again we then got mucho water so I had to set up our Honda pump. Was able to eventually idle down the pump and create an equilibrium where I could install the new diaphram, bonnet, etc.

After replacing this valve we were able to open the backflow again and re-energize the main part of the campus just in time for a baseball parents work day today. Seems that the principal and AD were so happy with our dedication to fixing a lot of problems with their field irrigation that one of the groundsmen brought me out a baseball-stype hat and a bucket hat with the school logo on them. They look real sharp and were greatly appreciated.

snapper
02-11-2006, 06:24 PM
well i have no clue where to look or who makes them but i seen the local utility water guys pumping out a hole with a 12 volt dc sump pump thing. It seemed to work real well, as long as the hole was big enough to fit it into. Might be sumthin to look into..

later chris

PurpHaze
02-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Portable sump pumps are used quite a lot by utility crews in our area.