PDA

View Full Version : History channel

prizeprop
02-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Watched a program on the History channel today, modern marvels about garage gadgets. Pretty good episode and showed the evalution of a lot of the power equipment we all use,especially the part about the backpack blower. Just thought some might enjoy.

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
02-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Ive seen that before, i beleive they were using it as a fogger for the orchard industry?? The guys started taking the tanks and hoses off and used them to clear the sidewalks in southern california, wasnt Echo one of the first??

Lawn Masters
02-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Yep, I recall Echo was the first in that field. simple way to clean sidewalks off fast.

mcwlandscaping
02-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Ya, echo started it with the PB-9, guys were removing and returning the tanks to the dealers and then when dealers reported this, echo came out with the first "tankless" blower. The BP leaf blower was born!!

02-06-2006, 11:19 PM
I love my Stihl trimmers and saws but ill only own Echo Blowers.

Tinkerer
02-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Car dealers up here in the cold north use blowers to get the snow off of the vehicles if the snow isn't too wet.

02-07-2006, 01:41 AM
somewhere i have some Echo litterture from the late 80's round here somewhere, if i can find it i might scan in some pictures. ive collected litterture since i was 3 or so, and at one time had the entire John Deere lineup memorized before 6th grade

Any idea who invented the string trimmer.

Jpocket
02-07-2006, 07:46 AM
I saw it last night too, I had no idea that backpack blowers originated from back pack sprayers.

prizeprop
02-07-2006, 08:58 AM
somewhere i have some Echo litterture from the late 80's round here somewhere, if i can find it i might scan in some pictures. ive collected litterture since i was 3 or so, and at one time had the entire John Deere lineup memorized before 6th grade

Any idea who invented the string trimmer.
I believe they said it was a musician who got the idea from the spinning brushes in a car wash.

Runner
02-07-2006, 02:35 PM
I can't tell you exactly who invented the string trimmer, but I bet I can tell you this - the man who developed the very first one. A good friend of my dads (childhood friends), owned a dumpsite here in Flint back during the 50's and 60's. Anyway, dad told me that way back in the 50's, this friend of his took an old sump pump motor, attached a wire to it to feed out the tube at the end, and wa-la! He had a trimming device that would knock down grass against object, and fit into small, tight areas. If only he had patented this thing...who knows,...we may all be carrying around sump pump motors today! lol