PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever used these pavers?

Drafto
02-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Has anyone ever used these marble pavers:

http://www.prestigestonedistributors.com/andes/

I had never heard of them until today, I got some info and pricing from a rep. Surprisingly, they are only around $7.00/sq.ft. It seems like whenever I do estimates for foreign people they are always looking for something different. These things look really nice in the catalog, I was just wondering if anyone has ever installed them.

Dan

cgland
02-06-2006, 10:25 PM
Yes, the distributor for the US lives 2 miles from me. He is the one that brought them into the country. I have seen them installed. It is best to install them over a poured pad. They are very pourous and seem as if they would instantly break if hit by a rubber mallet. Junk IMO!

Chris

Drafto
02-06-2006, 10:30 PM
The rep told me today you ron the compactor over them like anything else? Funny. People will say anything to make a sale. Thanks Chris.

cgland
02-06-2006, 10:32 PM
The rep told me today you ron the compactor over them like anything else?
:eek: :eek: :eek: That's hard to believe!:dizzy:

Chris

Drafto
02-06-2006, 10:34 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: That's hard to believe!:dizzy:

Chris

He actually said "run" and not "ron". Is it still hard to believe.

UNISCAPER
02-06-2006, 11:30 PM
We have an Iranian family from Rancho Santa Fe that sells that stuff. There are only two varieties that are drivable, the others have PSI's well under 3000 and will crack apart. They are also very incosnsistent which means after excavation we need T&M, or a $10.00 per SF minimum plus all product costs.

You have to seal them every year to keep from blowing apart and manyb opf the variations would be problematic in areas where it freezes bcause they are porous and will explode when they freeze. And, there are no guarantees on product as with any good quality cast paver.

They work well on Mediterrainian style or Tuscan homes in areas with no freeze, other than that, keep them indoors. The other thing that always worries me at this time with middle eastern products, since most are funneled through off shore cash accounts, how much of my money do they send to the Taliban, Hamas and Islamic extremist organizations?

My advice, stick to pavers. Real pavers not some stuff you have no idea what is what or what goes where.

Dreams To Designs
02-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Dan, I have some samples of the product and am working on the landscaping of a very large home along the Jersey shore that had Andes installed for a front walkway and around the pool. I don't believe the installation was of the best skill, but I do not like the look of this material. It was laid on a stone dust base and each stone was tapped and leveled. Then they used a concrete or mortar edge restraint. I don't see this as long term and would have to question it's stability in this environment. i'll let you know how it handled the winter when I return to do more plantings in the spring.

Kirk