PDA

View Full Version : Code and Code Enforcement

bicmudpuppy
02-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Ok, this is probably a can of worms, but I am curious. Plumbing code as it pertains to irrigation varies from one county to the next, let alone from state to state. How many of you deal regularly with code enforcement personnel who have absolutely no clue what they are supposed to be enforcing? Every water district in Kansas that I have dealt with is different, and when I call to check on rules in a new area, the "what is code for that?" is my most common question from the inspector! How can they get the job when they don't know how to do the job and there is no training procedure for them to learn that job?

PurpHaze
02-07-2006, 08:38 AM
It varies here also. The bigger cities will have people with some knowledge of the appropriate national codes and localized codes. In smaller towns you'd have code enforcement officers that are not as knowledgable on things. Most of these towns have contract junior engineers from an engineering firm that is on contract to a town to provide those services when something big is being constructed.

Just be glad you don't have to deal with the BTK Killer since he was a code enforcement officer for a town out there. Or maybe you did have to deal with him? :p

Dirty Water
02-07-2006, 10:17 AM
The neighboring city requires us to leave our double checks open for inspection, they perform a their backflow test, sign off the permit and we are good to bury them.

In Sequim, Its strictly don't ask don't tell.

PurpHaze
02-07-2006, 08:44 PM
It always amazes me how things are so different from town to town, even those that neighbor each other. One will have an agressive "crossconnection protection" program complete with web page and inspection requirements and the next town will go "Huh?" when asked. :rolleyes:

h2o2gunr
02-07-2006, 09:12 PM
i think the real answer is that those people are morons.

i have tried talking the situation over with several gubmint types. listening to anyone and then making a judgement as to if the speaker knows the subject doesnt seem to be a qualification.

the whole confusion in my experience is that asse standards call for a high hazard backflow device to be installed when protecting from chemicals INJECTED into an irrigation system.

somehow olathe ,shawnee etc took this to mean all irrigation systems are a high hazard when they are not. how many fertilizer injection systems have we seen? ive never seen 1 in 12+ years.

ask 1 if they know the difference between containment and isolation and which they require, sit back and watch.