PDA

View Full Version : T Bar Or Scag Question.

Coumbe
02-07-2006, 08:50 AM
I Have A 48"tiger Cub And Love It. Over 1100 Hours On It And It Has Only Had Regular Maintenance(oil, 2 Belts, Ect..) I Am Now In Need Of A 48" Wb, Scag Only Has Pistol Grips From What I Have Heard The T Bar Sounds Great. It Also Sounds Like A Darn Good Mower That You Can Log A Lot Of Hours On. The Scag Dealer Is A Bit Closer But I Rarely Have To Go There Because Of Scags Quality And I Buy Filters 10 At A Time.

So My Question Is Should I Stick With Scags Pistol Grips Or Go With The Toro T Bar?

samk
02-07-2006, 09:02 AM
love the T-bar originally bought it because of a wrist problem. would never use pistol grips again.

Coumbe
02-07-2006, 09:12 AM
When I First Stated My Hand Would Go Numb Early In The Season. Over The Years I Have Gotten Used To It But It Still Gets Tired. Have You Used A Sulky With The T Bar. Does It Reverse At All(assisted Reverse)??

grass_cuttin_fool
02-07-2006, 10:41 AM
I have the same set up as you do, scag tiger cub and I have a toro T-Bar. The T-bar controls are great. On the belt drive model I think you will have to step off the velke for reverse and its just an assisted reverse, not very strong. But the T-Bar control comfort more than make up for the reverse in my opinion

wayne

TURF DOCTOR
02-07-2006, 10:53 AM
I have no problems with pistol grips,learning how to run scags will help you i highly suggest go and demo a few in the slow season.

MarcSmith
02-07-2006, 11:15 AM
when i spoke to the scag reps at the orlando GIE Expo, they were hinting at offering somthing other than the pistol grips in the near future....I guess they have to figure out someting that doesn't infringe on anyone elses design patents

LawnTamer
02-07-2006, 03:01 PM
I love my T-bar, it's gear drive. I can back up on my sulky, no problem even up hills. I have a couple of buddies with T-bar belt drives and all of them can back up on a sulky no problem. I know a lot of pistol grip gear drives only have back up assist, but every T-bar I've used can back up no problem, as long as you don't jack-knife.

Coumbe
02-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Is That A 36 0r 48 Or Does It Matter. 48 Gets More Done But A 36 Fits Thru More Gates. What Do You Run And Why?

lawnboy dan
02-07-2006, 04:03 PM
once you use a t bar-there is no going back!

ed2hess
02-07-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't get what the problem is on Scag we run several and don't have any problem? If the unit is tracking you don't need to exert any force. And on T-Bar don't you have to keep constant force to make the unit drive? Do they have T-Bar on hydro units. The kind we have on Snappers are very unsafe?

grass_cuttin_fool
02-07-2006, 04:52 PM
I don't get what the problem is on Scag we run several and don't have any problem? If the unit is tracking you don't need to exert any force. And on T-Bar don't you have to keep constant force to make the unit drive? Do they have T-Bar on hydro units. The kind we have on Snappers are very unsafe?

I have never owned a t-bar hydro but have tried them out at the dealer demo days, they are jerky and not smooth.If I had a few days or so to practice on one, I think I could be smoother.

wayne

MarcSmith
02-07-2006, 05:02 PM
i had a snapper with "hoops" once you got used to it it was easy and smooth. did not have to exert any force unles syou wanted to turn... liek anything there is a learning curve. get on one of the older walkers with the undampened control levers. the SOB would buck you off in heartbeat if you weren't careful...

samk
02-07-2006, 06:19 PM
They dont make the toro in a 48" it only comes in a 44". i have a belt with assisted reverse and a true track for the sulkie. the true trac works very nice.

MOW ED
02-08-2006, 10:10 AM
I have the toro 44" hydro with t-bar and love it. It is a quick tough mower. I have used pistols in the past but unless you are mowing wide opens I can smoke you with the t-bar hydro. I personally would never use a pistol grip set up again regardless of the brand.
That being said, I also don't really use the toro anymore as I really like riding!