PDA

View Full Version : Which trimmer is best for edge-it (yes i did search)

cochino12
02-07-2006, 10:21 AM
All I seem to find are pissing matches concerning the edge-it, stick edgers, and using a string trimmer so I am looking for insight ONLY from people who have used them. What brand of trimmer works best with the edge-it? I spoke with a rep from there and he said ECHO is the cheapest and had a good mounting system. What brand of trimmers are you guys using w/your edge-it's ?

I currently use shindaiwa and would like them and would rather not switch brands. thanks

PaulJ
02-07-2006, 01:23 PM
The reason the Echo mounts the best is because the edgit can mount directly ot the gearbox flange. most others have to have an adapter bracket of some sort. I think there is one for the shindawa but it isn't as sturdy as the echo set up. But as long as you use care and don't beat it on the ground it should work great on any trimmer.
I have used the edgits on two echo trimmers with great results, but my latest is a redmax trimmer. the bracket on it is sturdy enough and I like the trimmer better. It seams to start better and have more power.
Whichever trimmer, I will never have a trimmer without an edgit. It is one tool I just don't ever want to be without. Ask the rep to send or e-mail you the pic of the mounting system used on the shindawa. If it looks good to you and you like everything else about the shindawa then go for it. YOu wont be sorry.
Just remember to "follow the edge" and it's best if you can teach yourself to trim with your right hand controlling where the trimmer head is and your left hand on the throttle.

jameson
02-07-2006, 02:06 PM
I purchased an edgit last summer after hearing about it on this forum. I did not have very high hopes for the contraption nor did I think that it would ever replace our walk-behind PowerTrim edger(s) for daily use. It seemed more like a novelty product and for that matter, purchase.

I was proved wrong. It edges quite well, makes quick work of BOTH trimming and edging. In fact we ended up removing a walk-behind edger from a trailer (yeah, MORE room) and exclusively used the edgit.

I have not used the edgit on anything but the Echo, and on that machine I can say, it works well. We will however use our walk-behind egders this spring to establish a deep crisp edges....then mothball em' for the duration.

James

mcwlandscaping
02-07-2006, 02:37 PM
What model echo do you have the edgit mounted to?

ed2hess
02-07-2006, 03:41 PM
We got the Echo edging device, used it about a week and it has been in the shed since. We thought maybe we could eliminate a two pass on edging and couldn't so we use string trimmers without the guards.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-07-2006, 03:47 PM
I have one mounted on a stihl fs 55. Just mounted it this winter and have limited use with it so far. I think it will do fine on a bed edge.

wayne

naturescape
02-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Paul J is correct. The edgit will bolt right up to the Echo. I have had one for a Shindy too, and it worked well with that at all, you just need the adaptor for about 10 bucks. But if you don't want to switch to Echo, you'll have good luck with the edgit and adaptor.

kmann
02-07-2006, 07:44 PM
All I seem to find are pissing matches concerning the edge-it, stick edgers, and using a string trimmer so I am looking for insight ONLY from people who have used them. What brand of trimmer works best with the edge-it? I spoke with a rep from there and he said ECHO is the cheapest and had a good mounting system. What brand of trimmers are you guys using w/your edge-it's ?

I currently use shindaiwa and would like them and would rather not switch brands. thanks
I bought one on EBay for my Stihl Trimmer. The holes were marked and lined up perfect. I put it on in about 10 minutes. I bought from Russo Power Supply in Chicago. About 20.00 $$ cheaper than Edgit. It works really good.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-07-2006, 09:04 PM
I bought one on EBay for my Stihl Trimmer. The holes were marked and lined up perfect. I put it on in about 10 minutes. I bought from Russo Power Supply in Chicago. About 20.00 $$ cheaper than Edgit. It works really good.

where mine came from also, 50 bux

wayne

BobR
02-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Ready to replace my edgit after five years of use (bearings are shot)because the rolling disk now wobbles quite a bit. I have the edgit attached to my ECHO Pas-260 and the combination works excellent for me, plenty of power to swing the extra line length when you are in the rough (weeds).

BobR

topsites
02-08-2006, 08:58 AM
We got the Echo edging device, used it about a week and it has been in the shed since. We thought maybe we could eliminate a two pass on edging and couldn't so we use string trimmers without the guards.

I agree, I think edgit's are a big waste of time... Best case scenario they just get in your way, yet another tool for Ken and Barbie.

Back to the original thread:
Far as best-brand trimmer, the reason you see pissing contents is because they're all superior, doesn't really matter if it's an echo or a stihl or redmax or whatever, it is more of a waste of time deciding than anything else.

I've used both stihl and echo, where the stihl lends itself better to show-trimming, I find the echo's D-handle superior in shock absorption. I like how one tool fixes everything that can go wrong with the stihl, while at the same rate the echo has never gone wrong in 3 years, not even the starter cord has broken on it - Ok, I've replaced a few plugs and air filters, but the stihl revvs high and has adjustments on the carb, the echo doesn't. With the stihl, you can rest your arm on the armature, try that with the echo and the muffler will burn the crap out of you or the spark plug sends a shock straight to your heart but then maybe we shouldn't be getting comfy with the machines... So you take the good and the bad, I'll still use either one anyday, doesn't really make that much of a difference.

Far as redmax I can't say because I've never used one, but I'm sure it's the same story all over again.

Need help picking one?
Best bet is get whatever brand the dealer is closest to you has and also carries a lot of other stuff you might need later.
Or, flip a coin.

indy2tall
02-08-2006, 07:53 PM
I agree, I think edgit's are a big waste of time... Best case scenario they just get in your way, yet another tool for Ken and Barbie.

Just curious topsites, have you ever actually owned or used an Edgit for more than 5 minutes?
I have one and I find it saves me a lot of time which in turn helps me earn more payup payup .
I use my Stihl blade edger to establish the edge on the initial cut of the year and then get the same look the rest of the year with the Edgit.
Other than a set of Prolockers I would say Edgit's are one of the best time saving device made for LCO's.

cochino12
02-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I am going to order my edge-it next week. Looks like I will be able to keep using the shindaiwas too.