PDA

View Full Version : Pine Straw quality

lawnspecialties
02-07-2006, 11:41 AM
What is the best straw for maintaining color? Here we have mostly Ga. and NC long needle. It's not a big deal but straw sure does look rough when it starts to fade out. I have a few customers who have straw replenishment in the contract so longer color means less expense for me. Anybody got any tips on retaining color in their pine straw beds? thanks

mslawn
02-07-2006, 12:02 PM
I have started using synthetic pinestraw in some clients beds who want to have year long fresh look in their beds. Here is a thread with some pics-
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=130387

nmurph
02-07-2006, 12:37 PM
i'm in the pinestraw delivery business. the longer the needle, the longer the color will last. this has to do with the resin content. ie....short needle (loblolly) is the cheapest and is the first to fade. slash is often, mistakenly, called longleaf is in the middle. longleaf, or yellow pine as it is ofen called is premium straw. the needles are usually 9-12 inches. it is the most expensive and the hardest to come by. slash makes a good compromise between durability and cost. long leaf is the most expensive bc the trees are the slowest to reach the stage where they produce enough to make it feasible to rake. also, there are fewer longleaf pines planted bc they are slower to reach the age at which they can have the first cut of wood removed (pulp). if a landowner looks longterm, 30+yrs, the longleaf will produce more tonage that is of a higher value, with less loss to disease and insect.