PDA

View Full Version : Scag Or Cub Cadet? Help!

Piscitelli Landscape
02-07-2006, 03:19 PM
I Have Been In The Business For Seven Years And Got Rid Of My Lawn Maintenance Two Years Ago, And Went Full Installation I Am Re-opening My Maintenance Program This Year. I Orginally Started With Encore Mowers Which Suck!!!!!! And Accidently Fell Into A Cubcadet M-60 Tank One Year And Loved It It Cut Great And Fast In Almost Any Condition. And That Is What I First Looked At When I Decided To Go Back Into It, However One Of My Suppliers Sells Scags And Came Within 1000 Dollars Of Cubs Total Price On Two Riders On 60 Or 61 And A 48. Cum Will Give Me A 60 And A 48 For 1000 Less Than Scags 61 And 48. The 1000 Isnt The Issue. I Was Thrilled With Cub When I Left Off But We All Know Scag Is A Great Mower. What Should I Do I Need Input Lots Of It Please Post. What Are The Pros And Cons Of Scag And Cub. I Am Afriad I Will Get The Scag And Not Be Happy With Them.but If I Dont Am I Sacrificing Something????

ProStreetCamaro
02-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Please do yourself a favor and dont get a scag. There quality of cut is one of the worst in the business. Others will come in here and disagree with me and other will agree. We have a scag right now and have gotten great deals on them in the past for one reason or another and not a single one of them cut worth a @$%#^. You already have experiance with the Cub Tank which IMO is a very well built machine and you liked the one you had before plus its a $1000 cheaper. I say go with the Cub Tank.

newz7151
02-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Ok, this does not pertain directly to the contect of the guys post, but rather the way in which it is typed. How in the heck does somebody type a whole post and capitalize the first letter of every word? Besides making the post difficult to read, it seems like it would take a rather long time to cap. every word.

Envy Lawn Service
02-07-2006, 05:46 PM
I can't comment on the Scag. Never used one. They don't exist here.
But I do have a 60" Lesco Z-Two, which is the same as the Cub M-60 TANK.
To say the least, I feel the same way about mine as you did yours.
They have only improved since you had one.

In addition, you may not have caught on to it yet, but the little 48" Cubs are now equipped with a 23hp Kawasaki instead of the little 19hp on the Scag.

Personally, I'd take the Cubs and spend the extra $1,000 on blowers/trimmers/edgers/hedgers/whatever.

Envy Lawn Service
02-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Ok, this does not pertain directly to the contect of the guys post, but rather the way in which it is typed. How in the heck does somebody type a whole post and capitalize the first letter of every word? Besides making the post difficult to read, it seems like it would take a rather long time to cap. every word.

I THINK THAT HAPPENS IF YOU TYPE THE WHOLE THING WITH THE CAPS LOCK ON. BUT I'M NOT SURE. SO WE ARE ABOUT TO FIND OUT I GUESS.... (EDIT) NOPE MAYBE IT HAS TO BE SO MANY WORDS? I DUNNO?

Travis Followell
02-07-2006, 05:51 PM
I would save the $1000 and go with the Cub. The Scags are good too but they don't have anything that the Cubs don't.

cborden
02-07-2006, 05:58 PM
I would go with the SCAG, I have six at the moment. Quality of the cut is like any other machine and simply knowing how to set the machine up for the type of grass you are cutting. If you can, demo them both.

LB1234
02-07-2006, 06:02 PM
We have a scag right now and have gotten great deals on them in the past for one reason or another and not a single one of them cut worth a @$%#^.

Why would you keep buying a machine that according to you can't cut worth a @$%#^?

As for the original poster, we purchased a SCAG TT w/ 61" deck and 29 EFI/LC kawi. Any specific questions about it feel free to ask. And what engine sizes are you comparing with the deck sizes, that could be a big difference in your pricing. The one thing I can tell you about my Scag is its ability to hold a hill. That is one of the main reasons why I purchased that over the TORO...which we were comparing it too at that time. I can't comment on the Cub b/c I've never used/demoed.

Shawns Lawns
02-07-2006, 06:15 PM
I almost purchased the cub tank but the only reason i did not is because of the collection system.:waving:

Piscitelli Landscape
02-07-2006, 06:43 PM

FOR SOME REASON WHEN I SENT IT THROUGH THE IT PUBLISHED THE POST LIKE THAT[FIRST LETTER CAPITIZED] I DONT HAVE THAT MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS

Piscitelli Landscape
02-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Why would you keep buying a machine that according to you can't cut worth a @$%#^?

As for the original poster, we purchased a SCAG TT w/ 61" deck and 29 EFI/LC kawi. Any specific questions about it feel free to ask. And what engine sizes are you comparing with the deck sizes, that could be a big difference in your pricing. The one thing I can tell you about my Scag is its ability to hold a hill. That is one of the main reasons why I purchased that over the TORO...which we were comparing it too at that time. I can't comment on the Cub b/c I've never used/demoed.

I have been told that to by the dealer is the scags ability to hold hills. as far as the engines i took that into consideration but thanks. So it leaves a nice cut for you? good cause i am kinda leaning that way but i would like more info first so i am getting what i can from people that use them.

ThirdDay
02-07-2006, 07:11 PM
We run several Great Dane riders (Dane Scag's last venture) and love them. The quality of cut is second to none and they hold hills better than anything else we have ever used.

If you have a dealer in your area, you should give the Great Dane riders a try. You can buy the 61" models for $6999 or less in my area which is an awesome price!

Dealer support is number one with us.....a great mower isn't worth squat without good dealer/parts support!

skurkp
02-07-2006, 07:25 PM
I have (3) 60" cut Hustlers and (1) 61" cut scag. the same 25 hp the hustlers motors are Kawasaki and the scag is Kohler and the scag cant touch the performance that the hustlers give. The scag bogs down in the same grass the hustler just cruises thru. I mow a lot of banks and have no problem with the hustlers. Either mower should hold an incline the deciding factor should be the tires. I would look at the hustler mowers before I took a scag.

ProStreetCamaro
02-07-2006, 11:02 PM

Well each one we have gotten have been updated with new deck designs so we figure it will have fixed the cut quality issue but so far the quality of cut with each of them has been lack luster compared to our bobcats, exmarks and gravelys. Now the build quality is top notch on scags and I admit that 100%. They are long lasting machines but we just wont use them any more unless somebody can prove they have improved the cutting quality.

TURF DOCTOR
02-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Compare engine's,pumps and reliability,warranty,resale,and cut i know they scags we run cut 100 percent.

jgtxusa
02-07-2006, 11:43 PM
I also run 3 of the scag 61s with the kaw 29 dfi and that mower cannot be beat. May be matched, but it wont be beat. My guys loxe these mowers. They are really durable, and the quality of cut is good.

LB1234
02-07-2006, 11:44 PM
I dunno, the cut quality of our Scag's are just fine. I'm not about to get into a pissing contest about mine cuts better than yours. I can say we have never lost a job due to the lack of quality of cut but we have gained jobs b/c they see the accounts we maintain. Bottom line, the Scags haven't lost me any business.

We run three scags, two 48WB and added the 61 rider last summer. We also have the triple soft bagger on our scag that we used a lot in the beggining of the fall. That worked great with the stock blades. Does well for light leaf cleanup and for tall growth. Honestly, the mower does slow down while heading up some steep inclines with the bagger installed, but it sucks everything up just fine and their is no need to hit the area twice. Another thing that was importmant for me was ride comfort. I have a bad lower back that I throw out about once a year. The suspension seat makes me able to ride for an hour without anytype of back pain. I would highly recommend a suspension seat for whatever mower you get. Alls you have to do is compare riding one with a suspension seat to one without, you'll be sold.

green acres lawns
02-08-2006, 12:57 AM
I have 2 Scags, 1 Exmark, and 1 Walker. The 52" tiger cub(24 hp honda) with the clamshell bagger cuts as nice as the walker. But it didn't until I leveled the deck.(no forward tilt). Same way with the 72" Sabre tooth. The deck needs to be as level as you can get it. The 72" Scag doesn't stripe as well as the 60' Exmark, but it cuts just as clean, and leaves fewer stringers when the grass is dry and tough. The Hustler I demoed didn't cut clean at all, but it had several demo hours on it. I look at the Cub Cadets from time to time but haven't considered trading.

BCFLawnLandscape
02-08-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm sold on Cub Cadet, great machine and the company backs you 100%. What more could you ask for?

Willofalltrades
02-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Piscitelli, What part of Cleveland? I know a lot of people with Scags and love them; absolutly no complaints. One says it the best mower hes ever bought. I'm considering one to. I've been to Sohar's in Macidonia and Chagrin Pet and garden looking at the machines. Ive also looked at the Cubs. Hauter's Lawn is just down the street. They seemed decient but didn't stack up the the Ferris they had sitting next to it. Now i know this is only showroom browsing and that I haven't taken them to the field.

Piscitelli Landscape
02-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Piscitelli, What part of Cleveland? I know a lot of people with Scags and love them; absolutly no complaints. One says it the best mower hes ever bought. I'm considering one to. I've been to Sohar's in Macidonia and Chagrin Pet and garden looking at the machines. Ive also looked at the Cubs. Hauter's Lawn is just down the street. They seemed decient but didn't stack up the the Ferris they had sitting next to it. Now i know this is only showroom browsing and that I haven't taken them to the field.

MAYFEILD HEIGHTS IS WHERE I AM AT. YA HAUTERS IS WHERE I AM LOOKIN I HAVE DONE BUSINESS WITH THEM FOR YEARS. BUT BES TRUCK EQ. IN WILLOUGHBY, IS WHERE I GOT THE GREAT DEAL ON THE SCAG RIDERS. YOU SHOULD TRY THEM CUBS THERE REALLY GOOD SO ARE THE FERRIS'S BUT MY BROTHER USES SCAGS AND LOVES HIM BUT HE IS ALSO A FEW BEERS SHORT OF A SIX PACK. SO I CANT GO ON WHAT HE SAYS. THE ONLY THING IS THE SCAGS HAVE THE BIDG 16CC PUMPS, A BETTER BUILT FRAME BUT THE CUB DID GEAT FOR ME. I AM WORRIED ABOUT QUALITY OF CUT ON THE SCAGS I HAVENT HEARD ABOUT IT TILL I STARTED TO LOOK AT THEM, AND NOW I HAVE HEARD ALOT OF NOT SO GOOD THINGS.

TURF DOCTOR
02-08-2006, 12:20 PM
HEY we started in thiis biz with 5 cub cadet pro walk behinds in the mid 90s,i can't say 1 bad thing about cub cadet at the time they were not making ztrs scag was i just don't like people to bash something that we run and i know what works.

Sir mowsalot
02-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Please do yourself a favor and dont get a scag. There quality of cut is one of the worst in the business. Others will come in here and disagree with me and other will agree. We have a scag right now and have gotten great deals on them in the past for one reason or another and not a single one of them cut worth a @$%#^. You already have experiance with the Cub Tank which IMO is a very well built machine and you liked the one you had before plus its a $1000 cheaper. I say go with the Cub Tank.
I have no idea where you get that opinion of scag from. Maybe you might be using one of the old ones before the advantage deck or something, or maybe it is not set up quite right, but you should check everything to make sure, because i have not ran one mower yet that cuts as precise as scag does.

Sir mowsalot
02-08-2006, 12:35 PM
I Have Been In The Business For Seven Years And Got Rid Of My Lawn Maintenance Two Years Ago, And Went Full Installation I Am Re-opening My Maintenance Program This Year. I Orginally Started With Encore Mowers Which Suck!!!!!! And Accidently Fell Into A Cubcadet M-60 Tank One Year And Loved It It Cut Great And Fast In Almost Any Condition. And That Is What I First Looked At When I Decided To Go Back Into It, However One Of My Suppliers Sells Scags And Came Within 1000 Dollars Of Cubs Total Price On Two Riders On 60 Or 61 And A 48. Cum Will Give Me A 60 And A 48 For 1000 Less Than Scags 61 And 48. The 1000 Isnt The Issue. I Was Thrilled With Cub When I Left Off But We All Know Scag Is A Great Mower. What Should I Do I Need Input Lots Of It Please Post. What Are The Pros And Cons Of Scag And Cub. I Am Afriad I Will Get The Scag And Not Be Happy With Them.but If I Dont Am I Sacrificing Something????

I cant say much about the cub, but i did however demo lesco's last year, and it is the same machine as the cubcadet tank. It cut great, held a hill great, i was impressed. I didnt purchase it because of the service end of it( i didnt like lescos service guy at all).
I did however go with the scag wildcat. The cut is precise(like a laser beam cut it). It has a smooth ride, and holds a hill like no other mower i tried.
Both machines are really good ones. If i were you , i would demo both of them, and if you are still unsure, then i would decide on which dealer you feel more comfortable with, and which one is gonna treat you right.

rob1325
02-08-2006, 12:46 PM
I own many Scags personally, they are built very heavy duty. Though, I purchased a new 35HP Tiger last year and did not like it. It doesn't discharge like pervous designed advantage deck (clumps alot) and is very uncomfortable with this motor on it. I will be selling it and getting something different this spring maybe a Ferris, Hustler, or even a Exmark, once I demo each.

lawnkid
02-08-2006, 05:29 PM
The guys at BEST Truck Equipment are great. I've been dealing with them for over 6 years and they have always come through. Always have parts in stock and will go out of their way to help you out. I run 2 scag walkbehinds and a Walker (just purchased another a week ago) and we love them. I know plenty of guys around here who have Scag riders and love them to death. We do a lot of work in Willoughby, Mentor, Concord, Chesterland, Russell, and Painsville. Got any pics of your current setup so I can see if I've seen you around before???

LB1234
02-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Maybe you might be using one of the old ones before the advantage deck or something, or maybe it is not set up quite right, but you should check everything to make sure, because i have not ran one mower yet that cuts as precise as scag does.

Interesting, I actually prefer the older deck (don't know if it has a name) to the advantage deck. Of course its a little unfair comparison cause the mulcher is on the one with the advantage and the other we keep high lifts and side discharge.

Piscitelli Landscape
02-10-2006, 03:34 PM
The guys at BEST Truck Equipment are great. I've been dealing with them for over 6 years and they have always come through. Always have parts in stock and will go out of their way to help you out. I run 2 scag walkbehinds and a Walker (just purchased another a week ago) and we love them. I know plenty of guys around here who have Scag riders and love them to death. We do a lot of work in Willoughby, Mentor, Concord, Chesterland, Russell, and Painsville. Got any pics of your current setup so I can see if I've seen you around before???

ya dude give me a few days i will set up some pics i am sure you have seen me around but put some pics of your setup up so i can do the same, sorry i just got this message today i dont know when you left it