PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a 1000i Honda generator to run hedge trimmers?

lawnguyland
02-07-2006, 05:52 PM
I plan on using little wonder electric hedge trimmers for some work this year (this is not a debate of gas vs. elec., I have and will use both). I need a lighter trimmer due to rotator cuff problems so I want to get a generator like the Honda 1000i to run them. I will only be using one set at a time. The hedge trimmers appear to use about 450 watts and the generator is rated at 1000 watts max, 900 watts continuous. It sure sounds like enough power, but my question is...is it? Does anyone use a 1000 watt generator to run hedge trimmers? Any hints or suggestions? I want the 1000w since it's a little less than 30lbs and therefore relatively light. The 2000w are closer to 50lbs. Thanks in advance!

lawnboy dan
02-07-2006, 06:03 PM
back in the old days before gas powered hedge trimmers were made -this is how we did it. the only down side (besides the cord) is jobs take longer due to the set up time involved.

Petr51488
02-07-2006, 06:11 PM
That's actually what i do. But, i have a 2500 watt, continuous, and it stays in my trailer. I rarely do hedge trimming, maybe once a month, so the electric ones work out good for me. I think that the honda 1000i is a little too much. Sure its light, and a honda, but you should look into the porter cable. Mine has a honda engine, and works great. With the honda, that would be your only use. the hedge trimmers. If you get the 2500 watt, or more, for the same price, you would be able to use it for several more things. Such as a power outage, etc.

lawnguyland
02-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the replies! I think the 1000i would be good because it's light and quiet. My only concern is is it enough power? I can use it for camping, tailgating, etc. since it is quiet. If I find the need I can buy another one and link them to provide 2000w.

Restrorob
02-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the replies! I think the 1000i would be good because it's light and quiet. My only concern is is it enough power? I can use it for camping, tailgating, etc. since it is quiet. If I find the need I can buy another one and link them to provide 2000w.

I don't believe you would have any problem with this set-up as long as you use a short 25' extention cord but a nice big hevy duty type not a cheapy one, The larger the wire inside the cord the better.