PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Lawn Setup!

SpudsM15
02-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Here it is back in 99 when I was 16, I don't know where the echo curved shaft is...

SpudsM15
02-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Heres a bigger pic...

rodfather
02-07-2006, 07:15 PM
looks like you have made some advancement there neighbor:)

jacob land and
02-07-2006, 07:17 PM
thats pretty sweet is the mower self propelled? did you just pull the whole setup like a wagon from house to house?

mcwlandscaping
02-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Looks like he just pushed the whole thing around, i could have used that cart when i was just starting out!!

mulcahy mowing
02-07-2006, 07:27 PM
think about how much he's saving on gass!

OnMyOwn
02-07-2006, 08:01 PM
The funniest thing about pics / memories such as these is thinking back to the time when you took everyone out to the garage to see your set-up. I was just as pitiful when I started at 12 years of age. Never could shake the desire to cut, so still doing it 29 years later. (Had to put new tires on the wagon (18) times!

ofishil
02-07-2006, 10:32 PM
when i was like 12 or so i would push a lawnmower around for around 5 blocks each way. no weedeater or blower just mow and go. i did learn eventually to take a gas can with me though.

meets1
02-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Same here. I started when I was in the 4th grade - whatever age that was. Push mowed everything, pushed mower about 2 block radius from parents place. Then I could ride bike and pull the mower, strap gas to side of mower and learned how to take corners! Then I moved up to pulling mower, gas straped to side, tanaka trimmer straped to back of moped!! Now that was a ride. I replaced many mower wheels! Dad had a tin backyard shed that you had to duck to get into. That was the equipment shed!! =)) (THE DAYS HUH)

Then I could drive! Finally.

SLC, LLC
02-08-2006, 12:49 AM
I remembering getting started and using those hand clippers to trim fences, landscape beds, etc. those things were miserable!!!!!! anyone else use these?

burns60
02-08-2006, 12:56 AM
Before I retired from trucking to this lawn business my son mowed several yards in the neighborhood. We had a Snapper, and we used to talk about how many miles it had on it rather than hours. Amazing how many miles you could put on those small tires.

LB1234
02-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Don't laugh, there is a guy in a city with a few accounts we have that walks his 21 incher around town. He juryrigged a setup with the trimmer attachs to the mower and the backpakc blower goes on his back. Gas cans sit atop the mower.

Needless to say he doesn't need to be on the weightloss program that I need to be on.

jd6323
02-08-2006, 02:18 AM
haha just over a year ago I was pulling a little trailor around the neighborhood behind my 4wheeler with a toro pushmower and all WEEDEATER brand edger, trimmer, and blower. Thought I was big stuff compared to that little kid walking around pulling his mower. Now I'm about to buy my first real mower (gravely wb) and already picket up some commerical jobs and have a bunch more lined up hopefully.

Tinkerer
02-08-2006, 02:37 AM
I started out after 9th grade. I had a brand new Snapper 8hp/30" with bagger and a Lawn Boy 21" self propelled (one speed very slow). I ended up buying a demo Snapper 21" self propelled. I built a steel trailer in metals class in 9th grade out of angle iron. That baby was heavy. I pulled one or two 21" mowers around on the trailer with gas can and trimmer. One hill about 5 blocks away was about 3/4 mile long. I would push in the pedal on my Snapper rider and coast down the hill to save time,, getting up to 10-15 mph. It ended up eating some of the gears in the rear axle. Took about $250 to get that fixed. The mechanics had not seen that kind of damage before.

meets1
02-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Was thinking more about the "good ol days" last nite and I started trimming with one of those hand trimmers - crawling around and hands and knees, under fences, ect. In fact I looked this morning and I still have them. Also someone mentioned about the hours vs miles. I would hate to know how many miles those little wheels had on them!

BufalinoLand
02-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Dude,

that pic was me too.

I used to walk a mile with a push mower and whacker and get laughed at

I think I was around 10 or 12 or so

Then some Idiot told me to go to college what a mistake that was a major set back

Im entering my 8th year of "Real Business"

Just bought an 05' Chevy Dump and some other goodies

Whos laughin' now

I work 10 months of the year, answer to no one but the customer, and make just as much or better than 90% of my cronies.

Im sure everyone else is in a similier boat.

Personally I like myself

ozd12005
02-08-2006, 02:40 PM
I remembering getting started and using those hand clippers to trim fences, landscape beds, etc. those things were miserable!!!!!! anyone else use these?

I saved a pair just for the heck of it, a few years back I stopped at a garage sale a bought a pair with the little wheels and the handle.... times have changed :)

Turfdude
02-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Don't laugh, there is a guy in a city with a few accounts we have that walks his 21 incher around town. He juryrigged a setup with the trimmer attachs to the mower and the backpakc blower goes on his back. Gas cans sit atop the mower.

Needless to say he doesn't need to be on the weightloss program that I need to be on.
R U talking about the guy in Camden County (Audubon)?? He's been doing it for years. Graduated in the early 80's.

plc_mowing
02-08-2006, 05:37 PM
my current set up is a jd 160, a small angle iron trailer, a craftsman blower and a ryobi trimmer. i hope to buy much better equip. this year!!

mulcahy mowing
02-08-2006, 06:39 PM
I started like that 2 years ago and now we be rollin in high style.

LB1234
02-09-2006, 01:03 AM
R U talking about the guy in Camden County (Audubon)?? He's been doing it for years. Graduated in the early 80's.

No, Union County...Rahway. See him on St. Georges ave.

adam's landscaping
02-09-2006, 01:59 AM
I dont know I think that i might have you beat, I used my push mower as the trailer to carry my dad's weedeater and blower. I bunjie corded it to my grandfathers craftsman and pulled it around the neighborhood. haha, that was the good ole days!!!:rolleyes: