PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico license?

advanced irrigation
02-07-2006, 08:32 PM
do you need to be lisenced to work in new mexico to install irrigation? i have my texas license will that work? i searched and found no answer. thanks:dizzy:

PurpHaze
02-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Some types of licenses are good only within the licensing state, others are good within a geographical area due to cross-border servicing and other types may even be recognized nationally. You might try the Better Business Bureau in New Mexico and see if they know anything. They might be able to steer you in the direction of the proper governmental agency that can answer your question.

PurpHaze
02-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Try here also.

http://www.contractors-license.org/nm/nm.htm

advanced irrigation
02-08-2006, 07:42 PM
New Mexico requires that i in addition to having my irrigators license, have a contractors licence and be a journeyman with 2 years expierience and will cost me close to $1000 and have to take a few tests submit affidavit's and some other applications to be approved or rejected. seems like too much hassle for me, i only live 30 mins from NM. anyone know anything else that i might be overlooking? thanks Purp.

PurpHaze
02-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Gotta remember that the main purpose of a contractor's license is to protect the consumer. Maybe NM doesn't trust Texans crossing over their border? :p

advanced irrigation
02-08-2006, 10:12 PM
well do these requirements seem unreasonable? i mean how can you start your own buisness without experience...you can't as far as i can tell. oh well i guess i will just stay on my own turf.

PurpHaze
02-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Guess it's part of the cost of doing business in a neighboring state. Some states are also very protective of their own contractors and want to make sure that one coming from outside jumps through all the hoops. Don't get discouraged though. You'll just have to weigh the cost of doing business in a neighboring state against the revenue potential. If it's worth it then go for it.

bicmudpuppy
02-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Its not just NM, it can be the local municipality. Licensing contractors is (like Hayes said) supposed to protect the "people". The reality is it lines the pockets of city hall and perpetuates the "old boy network" in a lot of instances. That being said, it is the cost of doing buisness. The journey man thing is code. In TX you can do irrigation taps and even a plumber can't unless he is a licensed irrigator. Some places don't have it nailed down that tight. I have water districts here that will let me make a tap because I am ABPA certified for backflow testing, and then there are some who insist a master plumber has to make that connection. It again goes back to code, and following said code is a cost of doing buisness. Fight the guys who are dodging code, not the code itself. If everyone follows the same rules, then the field is even and quality of workmanship becomes the issue. Otherwise, cheap is cheap and most customers are not educated enough or civil minded enough to see the difference.

advanced irrigation
02-10-2006, 12:04 PM
it would seem that NM would require an irrigators license insted they require all the other BS that IMO isn't relavant to knowing how to design a system and maintain it. i guess the expierience you obtain is "good enough" for them.

bicmudpuppy
02-10-2006, 09:19 PM
it would seem that NM would require an irrigators license insted they require all the other BS that IMO INS't relavant to knowing how to design a system and maintain it. i guess the expierience you obtain is "good enough" for them.
A contractor's license is like any other government issued license. Your not supposed to be able to operate as a contractor without it. Your not supposed to operate a motor vehicle w/o a driver's license (still called an operator's license by some old timers). If you look around TX and think things are lax about enforcing Irrigation licenses, then go to an area that requires a contractors license but see jobbers everywhere operating w/o, you need to stop by your local municipal court and see the number of people hitting the revolving door for operating a motor vehicle with suspended licenses. Not just w/o, but w/ suspended licenses. Don't blame government for trying. Blame the government for a LOT, but not for failure to try. I just wish we all received the government that we are paying so dearly for. Then again, I still got a box of Confederate paper money grandpa left me. He swore it would be good again someday.

Critical Care
02-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Maybe NM doesn't trust Texans crossing over their border?

Considering that many have jumped the Rio Grande, would you trust them? Kinda like us Oregonians not trusting our neighbors to the south.

This post is a bit like others where someone may wonder if the expense is worth it. If you’d only be doing one or two small jobs a year across the border, then you should surely weigh all the factors. And, don’t forget that any work you do in New Mexico would probably be subject to New Mexico state income tax.

But, the journeyman work probably wouldn’t be that big of a deal for you, however I’d guess your biggest obstacle would be having to get a bit more time under your belt in the field. As in this state, you may qualify to take those tests via two or more routes, such as having worked for a licensed contractor, having had certain formal education, or just having a certain amount of work experience in specific areas of interest.

Critical Care
02-10-2006, 10:11 PM
...Then again, I still got a box of Confederate paper money grandpa left me. He swore it would be good again someday.

Good ol' money from the Bloody Kansas days! I'm sure that confederate paper would go for a good price on Ebay.

PurpHaze
02-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Considering that many have jumped the Rio Grande, would you trust them? Kinda like us Oregonians not trusting our neighbors to the south.

I just knew Bendies never trusted Klamath Fallers. Now I have the proof. :p

Critical Care
02-11-2006, 12:40 PM
You mean "K-Fallers" don't you?

PurpHaze
02-11-2006, 12:56 PM
You mean "K-Fallers" don't you?

Yeah... those that live in Kalamity Falls. :p