PDA

View Full Version : First Post !!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobcat s250 NY
02-07-2006, 09:38 PM
How we all doing??? I have been a long time reader first time poster in this forum... I was curious how many of you guys are IA certified? I went and took the test with my pops 3 or 4 years ago(damn was it boring). Needless to say it has done nothing except cost money for dues and a few meetings to BS now and again. Since the main reason behind the certification will never get passed here on the island do you guys think its worth it to stay a member? Also those of you that are , What was the pass fail rate in your neck of the woods.. Over here i took the test with 30 people and only 5 passed and of that 5 my pop and i were 2 or em. The scary thing was that the majority of the people that took the test here were the so called big shots.. Guess they dont know much about hydraulics. LOL I mean really these guys have been around for 15 yrs and the failed horribly. The majority of the guys around here are giving work away for nothing... Thank god we only do referral work.

BTW any of you guys down around the island, would u be interested in a sort of group by for poly? I have worked deals last year to buy a couple trailers at a time. I spoke with my guy and he said 300 foot 1" rolls would be like 44 dollars.. If your interested let me know.. Thanks

Bobcat s250 NY
02-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Lol i may be the youngest member!!!

PurpHaze
02-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Welcome to the forum. Put on your hardhat and boots because sometimes it gets a little rowdy in here. Just remember that it's nothing personal if you get called on the carpet. :p

I've thought about IA certification for a long time but can't talk the bosses into it. Don't really want to pay for it myself and don't see the advantages in our area. However, when the new laws come in for CA I might rethink things.

Dirty Water
02-07-2006, 10:04 PM
your not the youngest.

bicmudpuppy
02-07-2006, 10:07 PM
How we all doing??? I have been a long time reader first time poster in this forum... I was curious how many of you guys are IA certified? I went and took the test with my pops 3 or 4 years ago(damn was it boring). Needless to say it has done nothing except cost money for dues and a few meetings to BS now and again. Since the main reason behind the certification will never get passed here on the island do you guys think its worth it to stay a member? Also those of you that are , What was the pass fail rate in your neck of the woods.. Over here i took the test with 30 people and only 5 passed and of that 5 my pop and i were 2 or em. The scary thing was that the majority of the people that took the test here were the so called big shots.. Guess they dont know much about hydraulics. LOL I mean really these guys have been around for 15 yrs and the failed horribly. The majority of the guys around here are giving work away for nothing... Thank god we only do referral work.

BTW any of you guys down around the island, would u be interested in a sort of group by for poly? I have worked deals last year to buy a couple trailers at a time. I spoke with my guy and he said 300 foot 1" rolls would be like 44 dollars.. If your interested let me know.. Thanks
If given a choice, NEVER let a certification attained expire. Unless you just can't afford it (if your buying poly by the semi, this ain't the case), pay the dues. You never know when it might come in handy. Now, footing the bill to become certified in anything is something I think everyone should weigh cautiously. If the opportunity is there and the costs are right, I always say go for it. I haven't needed a Class A drivers license for a long time, but I'm not going to quit paying that little bit extra each time to let it expire. I did get lazy and quit taking the endorsement tests every four years, but I can add those back with a written test at any time. Don't give up something you would have to work to re-aquire.

Bobcat s250 NY
02-08-2006, 09:15 AM
If given a choice, NEVER let a certification attained expire. Unless you just can't afford it (if your buying poly by the semi, this ain't the case), pay the dues. You never know when it might come in handy. Now, footing the bill to become certified in anything is something I think everyone should weigh cautiously. If the opportunity is there and the costs are right, I always say go for it. I haven't needed a Class A drivers license for a long time, but I'm not going to quit paying that little bit extra each time to let it expire. I did get lazy and quit taking the endorsement tests every four years, but I can add those back with a written test at any time. Don't give up something you would have to work to re-aquire.

That makes alot of sense. Guess it comes with age. Im guess im wasnt really thinking it through about the possibility of needing it later on.

Wet_Boots
02-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Don't go buying poly just yet. The price might drop some more.

BSME
02-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm IA certified.... haven't been a year yet but seems like it will be worth the $30 a year just for advertising purposes... I made a new proposal sheet for installs that has on it, "make sure your sprinkler company is certified by the Irrigation Association".... not too many people are around here.

I went to VA to take the test... there were two people there taking the test.. me and another guy...

that's exactly what poly pipe costs here (as of the last time I bought pipe). 14.7 cents a foot ($44.10 for 300')

I'm young as well... 22... I think JonHolland is 22 also... where has he been?

Ground Master
02-08-2006, 04:25 PM
I have the auditor certification. Took the 1.5 day class and half day test last year. Fairly expensive at a little over 400 bucks. The test is 75 questions and you have to get at least 70% right. It takes at least 6 weeks for them to inform you if you pass. Then they only tell you pass or fail not what you scored. This is probably the easiest and cheapest of the programs they offer.

I'm considering the certified designer courses/tests. Last time I checked, it was going to cost around 900 for the whole process.

BSME- which certification/test did you take?

BSME
02-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I took the CIC exam.... I didn't take the class but just bought the books...

It did kind of suck how long it took for them to get back to you and I would have liked to know as well what I got wrong...

overall it was pretty easy but I was surprised how much stuff they had on there about OHSA and general business stuff like bidding on large jobs...

the hydraulic stuff was easy though

I am also thinking of doing the design certification... seems the most useful

Ground Master
02-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Another cool thing about certification is that the IA will list you on there website. Its something you can point out to your customers!

h2o2gunr
02-08-2006, 06:49 PM
I took the CIC exam.... I didn't take the class but just bought the books...

It did kind of suck how long it took for them to get back to you and I would have liked to know as well what I got wrong...

overall it was pretty easy but I was surprised how much stuff they had on there about OHSA and general business stuff like bidding on large jobs...

the hydraulic stuff was easy though

I am also thinking of doing the design certification... seems the most useful

how much math was on the cic exam? the ia study book sure has alot. all that on the test? how many questions? are they mulitple choice or essay type questions?

Dirty Water
02-08-2006, 08:09 PM
I think JonHolland is 22 also... where has he been?

:waving: Changed my name

PurpHaze
02-08-2006, 08:30 PM
:waving: Changed my name...

... to protect the innoscent? :p

bicmudpuppy
02-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Changed my name

... to protect the innoscent? :p

Did you mean Ignorant? or arrogant?

PurpHaze
02-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Could be any or all of the above. :)

bicmudpuppy
02-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Could be any or all of the above. :)
To protect and serve? like other govt. types?

BSME
02-08-2006, 10:15 PM
:waving: Changed my name

I was wondering how you had so many posts before you started posting in the irrigation forum... I found it strange that you knew so much about sprinklers but never stopped by before... also recognized you lived in the same place as Jonholland

how did I miss that? I guess you haven't talked about how clean the 410 pulls yet...

I know you don't want to hear it... but I'm buying a brand new 255 as soon as the season starts... I'm selling the one I have now because I had to rent far too many times last year because mine is a POS....

Dirty Water
02-08-2006, 10:47 PM
I was wondering how you had so many posts before you started posting in the irrigation forum... I found it strange that you knew so much about sprinklers but never stopped by before... also recognized you lived in the same place as Jonholland

how did I miss that? I guess you haven't talked about how clean the 410 pulls yet...

I know you don't want to hear it... but I'm buying a brand new 255 as soon as the season starts... I'm selling the one I have now because I had to rent far too many times last year because mine is a POS....

You think yours is a POS, you should see our Vp12 (Circa 1980).

What is giving you trouble, The Onan engine, or the hydraulics's?

I usually replace 3-4 lines hydraulic lines a year on our older equipment, but nothing yet on the 410.

If the Onan engine is giving you trouble, pitch it and get B&S or a Honda in there.

Dirty Water
02-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Did you mean Ignorant? or arrogant?

Your just mad because I laugh at your CR500's.

:laugh:

BTW, I'm still waiting for you to mail me one. Hey, perhaps I'll make a trade, I'll get you a pint of IPS Aqua Blue 725, if you send me a CR500....I think I'll spend more money in the deal.

You have to promise to use the IPS 725 without primer in the worst situation you can think of, just to try to make it fail :)

bicmudpuppy
02-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Your just mad because I laugh at your CR500's.

BTW, I'm still waiting for you to mail me one. Hey, perhaps I'll make a trade, I'll get you a pint of IPS Aqua Blue 725, if you send me a CR500....I think I'll spend more money in the deal.

You have to promise to use the IPS 725 without primer in the worst situation you can think of, just to try to make it fail :)
ROFLMAO, I was talking to my friend from corporate just the other day and we didn't get to finish our conversation. I was actually considering mentioning you and trying to beg you a case of the things just to see your reaction.

Dirty Water
02-08-2006, 10:58 PM
ROFLMAO, I was talking to my friend from corporate just the other day and we didn't get to finish our conversation. I was actually considering mentioning you and trying to beg you a case of the things just to see your reaction.

I'd probably put them in my own yard...and see how many stuck ones I'd trip over on my way to my truck....

I'm just giving you a hard time, I'm sure the CR500 is a good head. Its just that aside from the nozzle tree, I don't see a reason to use them over the PGP though.

I'm still looking for a quality mini rotor...Still afraid to use the PGJ after the PGM.

You mentioned trying to break a dawn Qwikfix with waterhammer when you were trying it, I'd love to see you try to break IPS 725 without primer :)

bicmudpuppy
02-08-2006, 11:03 PM
725 is IPSs blue "wet or dry" equivalent isn't it? IF it is, I've used it, just not without primer. I don't work without primer. Why would you? If your not using primer, you should be using cleaner. The difference between clear primer and cleaner is a buck or two per can. I'm not that tight when it means that much.

Dirty Water
02-08-2006, 11:12 PM
725 is IPSs blue "wet or dry" equivalent isn't it? IF it is, I've used it, just not without primer. I don't work without primer. Why would you? If your not using primer, you should be using cleaner. The difference between clear primer and cleaner is a buck or two per can. I'm not that tight when it means that much.

725 is a wet or dry.

I use Purple Primer (Oaty or IPS) on 1.5" or larger (I also don't use 725 on that)...I wipe each fitting clean with 725 and glue, the time saving of not having to use primer/cleaner is where the saving is.

Thousands of glued fittings with just 725 over the past 10 years or so with this company and we havent had to repair a blown out one yet.

PurpHaze
02-08-2006, 11:26 PM
You use TWO glues depending on the size of the pipe????

For what it's worth when I took my irrigation class in college the instructor, who is well respected in the field, told us that it really was unnecessary to primer 1" and below non-pressure lines. I primer everything and only use one glue whether the pipe is 1/2" CL 315 or 6" SCH 40. Just can't get away from it. :rolleyes:

bicmudpuppy
02-08-2006, 11:39 PM
You use TWO glues depending on the size of the pipe????

For what it's worth when I took my irrigation class in college the instructor, who is well respected in the field, told us that it really was unnecessary to primer 1" and below non-pressure lines. I primer everything and only use one glue whether the pipe is 1/2" CL 315 or 6" SCH 40. Just can't get away from it. :rolleyes:
I use two glues, but not because of pipe size. I use blue "wet or dry" and the brand depends on availability for most repair work. Not because of the wet classification, but because it is a "hotter" glue and sets up faster. I use regular medium body for most installation applications. Using the blue or "one step" glue w/o primer just isn't going to happen for me. Using cleaner instead of primer doesn't make sense, and if your going to wipe the pipe clean anyway, why can't the rag have primer on it to make the cleaning easier? BTW, I do use a rag instead of the little dauber when applying primer. Another GREAT reason to use CLEAR. My hands are just abused and not purple at the end of the day. (well actually, they are a gross combination of the colors the glue becomes, but that is another issue and a previous thread.)

bicmudpuppy
02-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Hey Jon, I want to see you use IPS 725 on 4" bell end pipe in July :) Medium body glue has its place! :gunsfirin

Dirty Water
02-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Hey Jon, I want to see you use IPS 725 on 4" bell end pipe in July :) Medium body glue has its place! :gunsfirin

Yup, Medium body glue on 1.5" and up.

PurpHaze
02-09-2006, 08:31 AM
I use two glues, but not because of pipe size. I use blue "wet or dry" and the brand depends on availability for most repair work. Not because of the wet classification, but because it is a "hotter" glue and sets up faster. I use regular medium body for most installation applications. Using the blue or "one step" glue w/o primer just isn't going to happen for me. Using cleaner instead of primer doesn't make sense, and if your going to wipe the pipe clean anyway, why can't the rag have primer on it to make the cleaning easier?

We use the "Plumb Tite" glue (wet or dry) on everything and primer everything. Those that use cleaner only on large diameter pipe need to pay attention to detail. The primer not only cleans the pipe but softens it a little so the bonding is better by getting rid of that "hardened sheen" you see.

BTW, I do use a rag instead of the little dauber when applying primer. Another GREAT reason to use CLEAR. My hands are just abused and not purple at the end of the day. (well actually, they are a gross combination of the colors the glue becomes, but that is another issue and a previous thread.)

I might have a little discoloration on my hands but it's no big deal. I dauber and wear Jersey gloves. Anything that is left on the hands flicks off with the pumice stone I keep in the shower. :p

BSME
02-09-2006, 11:51 AM
how much math was on the cic exam? the ia study book sure has alot. all that on the test? how many questions? are they mulitple choice or essay type questions?

the math isn't anything unexpected... if you know what's in the manual you'll know how to do it on the test...

I think it was about half hydraulic stuff where you'll need the math and half other general contractor stuff

there were a lot of questions... took about three hours.... I think it was all multiple choice... there was a drawing that you had to take measurements of and stuff...