PDA

View Full Version : Shaded back yard

clallen03
02-07-2006, 10:41 PM
OK, I have a potential client that I am going to give an estimate in a couple of days, but they have a problem.

They have a huge back yard but this back yard has several trees which cover the ground with shade the majority of the day. They say every year they have to go out and spread fescue seeds in the back yard to get a little bit of grass to grow in the spring but they wants another option. I have to go and give them an estimate on the maint. but I want to sell them on getting the back yard squared away also.

My question is what can I do to get this yard to grow a nice bed of grass under all of this shade? I know fescue grows well in shade but they have not had any success with seeding.

I know if I go in and get this yard right they will be customers for life, but if my plan flops I'll be gone quicker then you can whistle dixie!

What can I do? :confused:

gene gls
02-07-2006, 10:47 PM
OK, I have a potential client that I am going to give an estimate in a couple of days, but they have a problem.

They have a huge back yard but this back yard has several trees which cover the ground with shade the majority of the day. They say every year they have to go out and spread fescue seeds in the back yard to get a little bit of grass to grow in the spring but they wants another option. I have to go and give them an estimate on the maint. but I want to sell them on getting the back yard squared away also.

My question is what can I do to get this yard to grow a nice bed of grass under all of this shade? I know fescue grows well in shade but they have not had any success with seeding.

I know if I go in and get this yard right they will be customers for life, but if my plan flops I'll be gone quicker then you can whistle dixie!

What can I do? :confused:

Grass needs 5 hours of good sun to grow good.You also get a lot of moss with heavy shade.

ArkansasLawns
02-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Talk to your local sod company about what grows best in your area. Fescue is said to grow on less than one hour of direct sun. Since it clumps and does not spread it is best to sod the area with fescue. What was the customer doing each year when they said they seeded it? Just throwing it out or drilling it in.

See if you can get the trees thinned out so the canopy is not so dense or at least raise the height of the bottom most tree limbs.

What about water? Do they have a sprinkler system? I know some of my customers say they water but I know better.

allinearth
02-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Can you grow St Augustine there? In my experience and area fescue has to be overseeded every year to be nice. Heat and drought just too hard on it. I agree with Arkansas lawns. Trees need to be limbed up far as possible. Still may be some spots of doom. Sometimes the best thing in deep shade is a nice bed with shade lovers.