PDA

View Full Version : pipe uncoiler

Jim Collins
02-08-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm looking for a tool that will hold 1" 300' poly pipe and uncoil auto while i pull
pipe.:eek:

Dirty Water
02-08-2006, 06:09 AM
http://voanews.com/spanish/Archive/images/abc_mexican_farm_worker_irvineca_29aug01_150.jpg

:D I'm just kididing.

SprinklerGuy
02-08-2006, 09:11 AM
LMFAO....you beat me to it...dangit

http://www.sprinklersolutions.com/files/muddyguy.jpg

PurpHaze
02-08-2006, 09:41 AM
ROFLMFAO!!!! Some would say that isn't very nice. :p

Bobcat s250 NY
02-08-2006, 10:44 AM
What poly company do you use?? Last year oil creek had rolls that were wrapped in plastic and were fed from the inside. we just made a metal rack that held it in place and it unrolled itself from the inside out. Sort of like the Barron wire packs. Though once again i dont know if u guys have that there either.

Wet_Boots
02-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Somebody did make such a pipe holder. It wasn't cheap, and the way some poly pipe companies were over-taping their rolls, it couldn't replace a helper or two holding the coil and cutting the tape.

BSME
02-08-2006, 04:51 PM
I know there is a reel in the John Deere catalog but I dont have it with me right now

bicmudpuppy
02-08-2006, 10:09 PM
The few I have seen used to run 3-400 bucks. And like boots said, I've seen a lot of poly taped half way down the roll lately. A helper does more than unroll the pipe, the helper also makes sure that pipe keeps moving and you haven't lost the pipe from the grip or broken it. Yes, sad to say, but the clay here is so tight that when wet, sometimes you can stretch the poly to breaking point. As to unrolling poly..........I prefer, even when I have a helper to uncoil 3-4 loops and then turn the roll 180 degrees, unroll 3-4 loops, turn the roll 180 degrees until I have more than enough poly out for the upcomming pull. By alternating the direction of the coil, you don't have to baby sit the poly going into the ground. I tend to stretch the pipe in a direction where I can see it so I have a better chance of knowing the pipe is still moving. FWIW, you can even stretch the pipe toward the direction you are pulling. Just don't let enough tension get into it to cause friction at entry. If you have plenty of pipe uncoiled, this isn't a problem.

PurpHaze
02-08-2006, 10:44 PM
If you can't find one at the price you're willing to pay take your idea to a fabricator. Maybe he/she can weld you up something to your liking. We did this with our 2500' spools of 14 gauge wire. Our mechanic fabricated a wire wheel that holds four spools on bars and the spools freely unwind when we pull the wire. The whole thing is on pneumatic tires and has a handlebar so we can wheel it around where we need to after unloading from the trailer. Works slick!

Dirty Water
02-08-2006, 11:43 PM
If you can't find one at the price you're willing to pay take your idea to a fabricator. Maybe he/she can weld you up something to your liking. We did this with our 2500' spools of 14 gauge wire. Our mechanic fabricated a wire wheel that holds four spools on bars and the spools freely unwind when we pull the wire. The whole thing is on pneumatic tires and has a handlebar so we can wheel it around where we need to after unloading from the trailer. Works slick!

Not as slick as a single roll of multiconductor :D

:laugh:

I know......I know......

The only time I've plowed poly, it was 200 psi 1", so unrolling it was a incredible chore.

I unrolled it, laid it out and plowed it in. We just got a blade that can lay it instead of pulling it, so we are going to reexamine poly to replace PVC.

PurpHaze
02-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Not as slick as a single roll of multiconductor :D

:laugh:

Bet my single strand solid core 14 gauge will carry the necessary volts a lot farther than your multi-strand. payup

Dirty Water
02-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Bet my single strand solid core 14 gauge will carry the necessary volts a lot farther than your multi-strand. payup

Yup, glad I don't run 18 gauge more than 500' feet :)

I know there is a place and time for 14 gauge...Just not on residential installs anymore.

PurpHaze
02-08-2006, 11:52 PM

I know there is a place and time for 14 gauge...Just not on residential installs anymore.

But I don't do residentials. :p

bicmudpuppy
02-08-2006, 11:59 PM

When I was in TX, the multi was a nightmare because of the fire ants. They loved the insulation. On residentials, we used a lot of 16UF instead of 14UF with great results. Multi is still a better answer for anything under 1000' if you can get away with it. Worst case scenario, you pull in a single 14UF common with the multi.

Dirty Water
02-09-2006, 12:00 AM
If I had my way all you 14 guage guys would stock 13 rolls of the stuff at a time, Each one a different color.

Imagine how much time I would save when I'm sitting in a backhoed out hole with a meter trying to make the zones fire in the right order again :)

bicmudpuppy
02-09-2006, 12:08 AM
If I had my way all you 14 guage guys would stock 13 rolls of the stuff at a time, Each one a different color.

Imagine how much time I would save when I'm sitting in a backhoed out hole with a meter trying to make the zones fire in the right order again :)
It is called JOB SECURITY, and if your good it ain't that hard. Not to mention it is T&M (my favorite term in the whole wide world). It is also wire trouble shooting so I increase the labor rate. You jack them for dry splices and it takes one for each end of the piece you have to add to make it all fit back together. Then you add in another phenomenal rate for the wire by the foot and WOW, $100 bucks an hour or near that. If it were nice and color coded, the backhoe guy would have tried to repair it himself, covered it up and left you to try and find the damn thing in six months when what he did failed.

PurpHaze
02-09-2006, 12:14 AM
...the backhoe guy would have tried to repair it himself, covered it up and left you to try and find the damn thing in six months when what he did failed.

Amen!!!! I tell all contractors to just leave things uncovered and we'll do the repairs. Nothing worse than an electrician or someone else fixing irrigation pipe and other stuff and not caring about what happens down line. :mad:

PurpHaze
02-09-2006, 12:18 AM

Nope... we only use four colors. White for common, red for control, blue for spare common, orange for spare controls. I can tone a wire probably quicker that you can figure out on your multi-strand if the wire is green and white or white and green. :laugh:

bicmudpuppy
02-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Nope... we only use four colors. White for common, red for control, blue for spare common, orange for spare controls. I can tone a wire probably quicker that you can figure out on your multi-strand if the wire is green and white or white and green. :laugh:
Ummmm, Hayes, I'm nit pickin', but that would be bell wire, not irrigation wire your describing! :) 13 conductor irrigation wire 13/18 is 18ga solid wire in a black UF sleeve (well, it has all been black that I have seen). Bell wire is usually braided and the white/green and green/white are meant to be pairs. That is why that utility locator guy from the phone company always tells you that the line he is marking is x pairs of wire. I just love to see an idiot who catches a 300 pair or 1200 pair. Colored spaghetti! whoo hooo.

Dirty Water
02-09-2006, 12:51 AM
I just love to see an idiot who catches a 300 pair or 1200 pair. Colored spaghetti! whoo hooo.

Seen it.

Not a pretty sight.

PurpHaze
02-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Ummmm, Hayes, I'm nit pickin', but that would be bell wire, not irrigation wire your describing! :)

Pick away!!! :p

13 conductor irrigation wire 13/18 is 18ga solid wire in a black UF sleeve (well, it has all been black that I have seen).

What's the maximum number of colors or schemes they have in one cable?

PurpHaze
02-09-2006, 09:43 AM
Seen it.

Not a pretty sight.

Ditto here (but I've never hit it). :)

SprinklerGuy
02-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Imagine how much time I would save when I'm sitting in a backhoed out hole with a meter trying to make the zones fire in the right order again

Wire the white together....wire all the reds together.....go to timer and move them around in there instead....

bicmudpuppy
02-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Wire the white together....wire all the reds together.....go to timer and move them around in there instead....
Except, what if they guy who put it all in wasn't as nice as Hayes and some of them are spares and some of them are dead and....................
But, identify the common and one hot. splice the common and then identify which wires on the down side fire zones. Then you can identify which wires get power and splice away. :)

Green Sweep
02-09-2006, 01:39 PM
http://voanews.com/spanish/Archive/images/abc_mexican_farm_worker_irvineca_29aug01_150.jpg

:D I'm just kididing.

I have found some things on this forum funny, but this knocked me out of my chair. I was literally belly-laughing. Good stuff.

Flatbed
02-09-2006, 06:21 PM
I have only had a problem with my poly reel. I wouldn't install without one. They are expensive, but so is labor. I bought mine through my supplier. They buy them from : Double-S Manufacturing Products
Northern Pump & Irrigation Co., Inc
919 Road B, P.O. Box 576
Henderson, NE 68371
Phone 402-423-4501
1-800-554-8715
Item#300D.............Price $392.72
www.northernpump.com

PurpHaze
02-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Except, what if they guy who put it all in wasn't as nice as Hayes and some of them are spares and some of them are dead and....................
But, identify the common and one hot. splice the common and then identify which wires on the down side fire zones. Then you can identify which wires get power and splice away. :)

I've done it both ways with success. I even am in the habit of going into the clock after a contractor has turned a new system over to us and rewired the zones the sequence I want them to run. Then I draw up a zone map as I walk through the system with a remote. Next stop is the computer and I CAD out a zone map for our records. :p