PDA

View Full Version : who uses bike handlebars and/or shoulder harness for string trimmers?

The Curious Porpoise
02-08-2006, 10:06 AM
who here uses the bicycle handlebars (i know that most of the time they come model specific) for their string trimmers, and how do u like them as opposed to the conventional style handles?

who here uses the nylon harness strap that goes over your shoulder/back to distribute the trimmer's weight for more comfortable use? how do u like it?

i was considering whether or not i should get either when i buy new string trimmers this season.

DixieFerris
02-08-2006, 10:10 AM
we use them on our walkbehinds because the gel is softer and they have a much better grip

jtkplc
02-08-2006, 10:47 AM
I took my strap off. I didn't like having it on. It served me no purpose.

BufalinoLand
02-08-2006, 10:51 AM
I dont care for the bike bars

I have 2 stihl fs85s with the d handle

the strap is for girls, it will slow you up

Jason Rose
02-08-2006, 11:17 AM
The handle bar trimmers do have their place, used with a strap they are the best thing since sliced bread for large areas of trim "mowing" IMO. They are cumbersome and you have to do a lot of dancing around to maneuver the cutting head around objects so they don't work well for everyday use. I do know a guy here that uses a handlebar type with strap all the time, but that's the same crew that uses a push edger exclusively and uses 21" snappers on most lawns.

nherweck
02-08-2006, 01:44 PM
I had one customer that had a 200x200 area that was a complete mess and had to me trimmed with a trimmer. I had the "bike handlebars" and a strap to keep the weight from weighing me down. It REALLY helps out in the large areas that need to be trimmer but unneccessary when it comes to regular fence-lines or around a house.

lawnboy dan
02-08-2006, 03:21 PM
a strap will slow you down. i only use one on my 20 yr old green machine 3000

wajohn_09
09-03-2013, 12:50 AM
Hi all, if I may piggyback off CP's previous question, I'm in the market for a trimmer and I wanted to know if the bike handle bar trimmers made it easier or perhaps impossible to turn the trimmer upside down and use for edging lawns? ...or maybe my question should be, "can the handle bars be rotated 180 degrees for edging purposes when not used for trimming? --Thanks, I appreciate any help.

Anyone who has ever used a trimmer to edge knows that it can be a time saver though it requires a little practice and concentration to keep the edge line straight (Like walking a tight rope).

ncpete
09-03-2013, 04:26 AM
yeah, I don't think they turn easily like that.

herler
09-03-2013, 07:29 AM
Most of the time I trim one handed, I would have no use for those attachments thou I can see for extensive brush clearing it might come in handy.

XYZLawnPros
09-03-2013, 01:03 PM
To the original poster. Yes we use straps for all line trimmers. Who wants to hold a 9 to 14 pound trimmer for a 6 to 12 hour day? Work smarter not harder.
All labor intensive jobs will wear down the human body whether you think you're getting fit or building muscles or whatnot. Proven facts. Humans wear out.
To the other boys who complained of a harness or strap being for girls..just lol.
And to the guys who apparently are to incompetent and seem to get the straps/harnesses tangled/bungled up or whatever else you can't seem to figure out...just LOL.
Free line trimmer lesson's using harnesses and straps up for bids. We will take payments in integrity, honesty, friendship.

Two weeks ago we started a young man who is 6'5 on the trimming crew. Of course we bought the longest commercial line trimmer known to man. He cried about the strap for the first 2 days until I had a chance to walk behind him the entire day. By the end of the day he was smiling all the way to the bank after he was shown how to use the harness to his benefit. Adjusted just right meaning up or down the shaft, length of harness relating to ones shoulders to the waist and connecting point on the shaft. All of those things done for each specific individual will reduce the trimmer to almost a weightlessness experience for the operator. Also it will enable much more precise pencil precision of the line with much less force being exerted.

Happy employees are the fruits of all labor.

Valk
09-03-2013, 05:32 PM
To the original poster. Yes we use straps for all line trimmers. Who wants to hold a 9 to 14 pound trimmer for a 6 to 12 hour day? Work smarter not harder.
All labor intensive jobs will wear down the human body whether you think you're getting fit or building muscles or whatnot. Proven facts. Humans wear out.
To the other boys who complained of a harness or strap being for girls..just lol.
And to the guys who apparently are to incompetent and seem to get the straps/harnesses tangled/bungled up or whatever else you can't seem to figure out...just LOL.
Free line trimmer lesson's using harnesses and straps up for bids. We will take payments in integrity, honesty, friendship.

Two weeks ago we started a young man who is 6'5 on the trimming crew. Of course we bought the longest commercial line trimmer known to man. He cried about the strap for the first 2 days until I had a chance to walk behind him the entire day. By the end of the day he was smiling all the way to the bank after he was shown how to use the harness to his benefit. Adjusted just right meaning up or down the shaft, length of harness relating to ones shoulders to the waist and connecting point on the shaft. All of those things done for each specific individual will reduce the trimmer to almost a weightlessness experience for the operator. Also it will enable much more precise pencil precision of the line with much less force being exerted.

I'd really like to see this whole fitting procedure in a Youtube type video. I'm intrigued, especially by your candor.

I bought a Honda 35cc trimmer this Spring and it is a fabulous piece of HH equip both as a trimmer and edger, as well as a brushcutter. While it is heavy (@~15lbs), I don't really notice it as a solo since I don't use it ALL day on a continuous basis. And your comment about the human body being finite really hits home. Having recently hit 50, I do feel the creaks more than I did just a few years ago.

:drinkup: Thanks for your input here. Yet again how Lawnsite is a worthy expenditure of time invested. :waving:

ncpete
09-03-2013, 09:58 PM

I'd really like to see this whole fitting procedure in a Youtube type video. I'm intrigued, especially by your candor.

I bought a Honda 35cc trimmer this Spring and it is a fabulous piece of HH equip both as a trimmer and edger, as well as a brushcutter. While it is heavy (@~15lbs), I don't really notice it as a solo since I don't use it ALL day on a continuous basis. And your comment about the human body being finite really hits home. Having recently hit 50, I do feel the creaks more than I did just a few years ago.

:drinkup: Thanks for your input here. Yet again how Lawnsite is a worthy expenditure of time invested. :waving:

It's for stuff like this that we need "like's" on here.