PDA

View Full Version : Question on Milky Spore/Nematodes

Microbe
02-08-2006, 09:52 AM
How do you apply milky spore to become effective? I've red that you must apply in April, May, June, July, and August as a base for tranforming a lawn organically. What kinda precautions do I have to be aware of using a product like this? Can the customer run on the lawn after or what? Also... Were can I get Nematodes? Do I really need a diaphram sprayer to apply them? I've heard piston's will kill them from the pressure?

AlpineNaturescapes
02-16-2006, 11:19 AM
I've been using a piston backpack sprayer to spread them for 4 years. Works fine - Just keep the valve open to continuously spray. A motorized pump will kill them unless run at a low pressure.

Only need one app of milky spore, but it is best spread just before a rain. No real precautions I know of - except maybe price. Also, like nematodes, seems to need reapps in the north.

livingsoils
02-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Correct me if I am wrong :o , but Milky spore will only control Japanese beetle grubs. I don't believe that it controls all grubs, so make sure customers are aware of this.

Microbe
02-17-2006, 12:34 AM
I actually wasn't aware of that. The nematodes will get rid of the other shrimp of the earth.gmc

AlpineNaturescapes
02-17-2006, 10:03 AM
actually for grubs, I would only use the Hb nematodes. The Sc will work on the bill bug "grubs" (they are actually a weevil grub) if you put it down before June, but not any of the beetle grubs. He is right, milky spore is only labeled for Jap beetle grubs, but in my experience it also works on June beetle. Again, in the north, you will probably have to reapp each spring.