PDA

View Full Version : Interviews

Wells
02-08-2006, 10:19 AM
For those of you that have employees and conduct interviews, where do you hold them? Most companies that I'm aware of hold their interviews at their company office but I once had an interview that was conducted over lunch at a restaurant.

It was very informal and was probably the most memorable interview i've ever had. No resume, no room full of people asking a million questions about your goals and why you should get the job over someone more qualified. It was just two people sitting down having lunch and talking very informally.

The process stuck out so much in my mind that I'm considering this approach for conducting interviews this year. I'm thinking about interviewing the top couple of candidates this way.

So how about you? where do you hold your interviews and have you ever had one that really sticks out in your mind?

HOOLIE
02-08-2006, 10:47 AM
My 'shop' is just a storage shed, that's where I met my employee last year...but after that experience (nowhere to sit, kind of dirty) I figured it might be nicer to meet someone at a Starbucks, or someplace like that. That way if it doesnt go well you don't have to sit thru a full lunch :p

rodfather
02-08-2006, 10:59 AM
I usually have them meet me at the shop. I'll drive and take them out to lunch. If I like what I hear and offer them a job, I then suggest to them let's go back to the shop and review/operate the equipment, see where everything goes, answer any questions, etc.

I too like the informal format. I had plenty of the formal sitdowns ones when I was with Hertz for many years.

palawnman
02-08-2006, 11:13 AM
If you meet someone at your shop, ever think thats a bad idea because if they dont get the job wouldnt that give a small incentive of possibly stealing from you? Granted it is a small chance, by why take that chance. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this...

Ron

Wells
02-08-2006, 03:45 PM
I usually have them meet me at the shop. I'll drive and take them out to lunch. If I like what I hear and offer them a job, I then suggest to them let's go back to the shop and review/operate the equipment, see where everything goes, answer any questions, etc.

I too like the informal format. I had plenty of the formal sitdowns ones when I was with Hertz for many years.

Rod, I like the idea you have of offering them the job right there over lunch if they seem to be a good fit. No reason to drag it out and make them sweat it out for several days. Those had to be two of my biggest grips with the corporate world, the interview process and the waiting.

AUHort1990
02-08-2006, 04:00 PM
I like the lunch idea...really informal.

Right now I hold all my interviews in a board room at our state office building. I used to have them in my office. That all changed after a guy I had interviewed and didn't get the job came back and wanted to know why. He thought I was being racist because at the time I only had one minority on my crew (at the time I only had 4 guys working for me). Nevermind he didn't have as much experience as other the other applicants. My office is in the basement of one of our buildings that only has dinners and other types of functions upstairs so it is very secluded and most of the time I might be the only one in the office. Having him show up unannounced and trying to cause trouble made me somewhat nervous and made me rethink where I might have interviews.

LawnTamer
02-08-2006, 04:20 PM
I think it's a good idea Brett,
I also like the input about having them come to the shop and try out the equipment if they seem like a good candidate. I had a guy once, seemed like a great find, smart, eager to please, polite, & well groomed. But he wasn't at all mechanically inclined, I mean even mower operation and starting equipment was like rocket science for him. He "mowed" a 18,000 ft lawn on one of our riders once but forgot to engage the blades! Had another guy w/ two years experience with another co, but had never used a trimmer. All he knew how to do was run a WB and a ZTR.

Likestomow
02-08-2006, 06:30 PM
If you meet someone at your shop, ever think thats a bad idea because if they dont get the job wouldnt that give a small incentive of possibly stealing from you? Granted it is a small chance, by why take that chance. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this...Ron

I'm with you. I'd never take an applicant to see my stuff and especailly where I keep it.

I usually have them meet me at the shop. I'll drive and take them out to lunch. If I like what I hear and offer them a job...

I would never buy lunch for an unqualified applicant. You must get the cream o' the crop. Not me - everyone says they are well experienced, but in reality the only experience they seem to have is cutting their grandmother's lawn last summer.