PDA

View Full Version : to be set appart from others

scagwildcat
02-08-2006, 12:50 PM
i posted last week about how in my little town, or local area there is alot of lco's and how its hard to get jobs and so on, i have been thinking about adding more services but every thing i think of requires lots of $$$$ as you all know nothings cheap, and i wouldnt mind spending money if money was able to be made!!!! i currently provide, seasonal cleanups, mowing, mulch/mulch deliveries,fert,dethatching, shrub maintanance,snow plowing,and sanding. i dont know what else to add to it without getting into hardscape.. ive thought of stump grinding ?? i thought of getting a tractor and doing some feild mowing, i really dont want to get into planting, as i dont know much about it!!! and still how will i plant 100 trees with a shovel and make money lol
all of my equipment is top notch, nice truck(lettered) i need to add a service that would set me appart from the rest at low cost to me....its so bad that ive even seen someone else advertise dog walking !!! WHAT IN THE WORLD??
thanks guys, im sorry for posting two bummed out threads , but the spring is near and im worried whats to come this season,,,,,,,,

BSDeality
02-08-2006, 12:59 PM
water garden installation is very low budget, just labor really.

I would re-think planting, some of my best profit margins come from tree/shrub planting. If you need to do 100 trees then you need to rent an auger (at the least). and a bobcat preferrably. All you have to do is budget it into your bid price and you'll still make money.

Aeration is another great money maker. I paid off a towable 60" lesco unit and 2 days rental of a small walk behind unit in 2 days of aeration last fall.

1MajorTom
02-08-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure adding more services is your answer. Whatever service you decide to add, there surely is going to be someone already that is providing it too, so it's not like another service is going to "set you apart."
I think you need to concentrate on the market that you do have. The streets that you currently have accounts on, you need to target the rest of the houses on those blocks to land more work in your area. You need to go to your current customers, send them a letter and ask them if they have any referrals, any friends or family that may need your service.
All phone calls you receive, you need to return PROMPTLY. I don't know how many times I have returned a call, and the person has said, "you are the only one that has called me back."
And finally when you are trying to build up your customer base, you need to advertise, advertise, advertise. The more your name is out there, the more calls you will get.