PDA

View Full Version : field drainage.

lawn king
02-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Has anyone resolved drainage problems through deep tine solid spoon aeration, earth drilling machines or pto deep gravel injection?

lawn king
03-24-2006, 09:44 AM
We have subcontracted a company (earthworks) to vertidrain 150000 sq. ft. of athletic feilds for us. We hope this will punch through the clay and solve this ongoing drainage problem!

Trim Creations
03-27-2006, 10:36 PM
I am not sure I have even heard of verda drain Is there a web site to look it up.
Thanks

Drew Gemma
03-27-2006, 11:21 PM
vertidarain is like taking an aerator and punching a hole in to the ground without removing the plug. It is the reverse action pushing into the ground. When I was the assistant at the course we did this early spring late winter then did aeration overseed topdress in the fall. What are you trying to drain the new pipe systems are great we have a 70 acer farm and we have done wonders with all the run off. Renting a mini x is cheap also.

Trim Creations
03-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks For the info

dcgreenspro
03-28-2006, 11:17 PM
vertidrains are very strong and durable machines. used one on a golf course built on rock. the vertidrain has almost foot long solid tines and when they are at full depth in the ground they kick(mounted on springs at the top of the arm) shattering soil structure. it would eithier do one of three things when hitting the rock: break it, pull it out of the ground or raise the whole machine up.

lawn king
03-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Its a done deal! That verti drain machine is way cool. This was the 8000 lb implement, they tell me there are only 3 this size in the united states & they own 2. Talk about deep aeration!

Athletic field
10-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Verti drain and other deep tine machines really help water infiltration, which in turn creates a drier surface (your purpose for doing it). It doesn't always help "drainage". Where does the water go when it reaches the bottom of the 10 to 12 inch hole? That soil may or may not "drain" water any better compared to the soil conditions at the surface. If it helped drainage, your drain pipes should have more water in them. In real life increased drainage would happen if the vertidrain hole reached a more permeable soil layer or reached the gravel layer of your drainage system, if you have one. My point is, The verti drain relieves compaction, and increases water infiltration. Does it help internal water "drainage", possible. The term drainage is used loosely.

I would look at the crown and surrounding slope to help with surface drainage.

Deep tine machines are way cool!

rmo350
04-06-2008, 03:10 PM
We just purchased a verti drain and it is a remarkable machine!

greenmonster304
05-22-2008, 06:08 PM
a friend of mine developed this system.

http://www.waterwick.com/

unit40
05-22-2008, 09:31 PM
We purchased a redexum verti-drain several years ago. It is only a 48 inch wide machine and will penetrate 10 inches. I use the 3/4" tines. Unbelievable results, not only for drainage, but it actually lifts the ground up behind the mschine and really relieves the compaction. It takes a long time to do a field, it is slow going, especially if we have the mashine set to get the closest hole spacing. but it paid for itself in a year. it will pull rocks and boulders right out of the ground.