PDA

View Full Version : Why the heck am I in this business?

beautifullawns
02-08-2006, 03:58 PM
I found out some budget numbers on a condo today. My friend bid $90000, I bid $79,000. Last year it went for $30,000 and this year is budgeted for $35,000. The fert price is over $5000 for 5 treatments. It will need at least 100 yds of mulch, I bid it for 150yds, and theres a good 5-6 arces to mow every week and you have to collect the grass. The whole area has good tree coverage so in the fall theres a lot of leafs. And hedge trimming would take at least 3-4hours per building and the place had like 13 buildings.

Why do people not understand how the economy works. All our costs go up every year, but the prices bid go down every year. Am I the only one that sees the problem. Prices haven't gone up for mowing in like 10 years. All landscapers need to get together and set a minium so theres not this horriable bid war every year to see whos lower. :realmad: :realmad:

Shawns Lawns
02-08-2006, 04:30 PM
I found out some budget numbers on a condo today. My friend bid $90000, I bid $79,000. Last year it went for $30,000 and this year is budgeted for $35,000. The fert price is over $5000 for 5 treatments. It will need at least 100 yds of mulch, I bid it for 150yds, and theres a good 5-6 arces to mow every week and you have to collect the grass. The whole area has good tree coverage so in the fall theres a lot of leafs. And hedge trimming would take at least 3-4hours per building and the place had like 13 buildings.

Why do people not understand how the economy works. All our costs go up every year, but the prices bid go down every year. Am I the only one that sees the problem. Prices haven't gone up for mowing in like 10 years. All landscapers need to get together and set a minium so theres not this horriable bid war every year to see whos lower. :realmad: :realmad:
Why your in it for the $$$$$$$$$ remember. I don't know what your profit would be if you got the contract but i can assure you that what you were going to do for the price quoted will not be done for $35,000 corners will be cut somewhere. There are alot of service providers in my area and i don't care how much business they have or get. As long as i have enough to pay the bills and make a comfortable living i and currently content with that.:waving:

scagwildcat
02-08-2006, 04:36 PM
im with you, if you look at all my post i say the same thing ,the money i make keeps me going but thats it.....so many lco,s are pricing things so low that its not possible to get any work, im not saying that im priced hight, but if i price a job for $500 and the next guy says 200 who do you think gets the job.. then you get those that want so much work done, 60yds mulch, mowing, cleaning, pruning,edging the works ,then they say oh well i got a price last year for the work it was $1000.00 what in the world. i wish people would get with the times and learn how to price things, its like people work for nothing just to say they work... i dont get it, maybe thats why i cant make money lol......

nobagger
02-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Iv'e said it before, we need to somehow "ban" together forming some type of standard in pricing and professionalism and qualifications in this industry. It would be no easy task but I think definitely worth trying. But its the greedy, lowballing scrubs, kids and guys just doing it for fun or a little extra spending money that will make it impossible to achieve that level of business. And this on-going problem will only get worse every year and eventually effect ALL of us!

beautifullawns
02-08-2006, 06:53 PM
As long as i have enough to pay the bills and make a comfortable living i and currently content with that.:waving:
I have enough to pay the bills and take home a little but these larger places cut down on the work load and are more steady than residential lawns. If the economy takes it toll on people the first customers that will cut you from their budget is the residential. Condos and commercial stuff will always need it. So if your foots in the door and you have a 2 or 3 good size condos or commercial clients that stay with you then you will be in good shape when this happens. I've had one condo for three years now and renewed two more from last year. I hope to keep them happy and maybe they won't put it out to bid after a few years. Only problem is that they are small condos. All the larger ones I try to get into 1 of the 3 big companies have and are doing it dirt cheap. I've got numbers on 4 condos I've bid on. Only 1 have I been close to. The others are done so cheap it has to cost the contractor money to do them. I agree with NOBAGGER we need to ban together and do something about it. The low ballers will realize it one day when they have to get out or declare bankruptcy. They only hurt the industry more by doing this. And the big compaines that have to bid low to get the job to keep cash flow coming in need to look at it to. Its hurting them more in the long run. I'm still ticked off about this and its been a couple hours. :realmad:

DUSTYCEDAR
02-08-2006, 07:07 PM
its just how it works

kc2006
02-08-2006, 07:26 PM
As dusty said, thats just how it works.

There will never be a "union" type of landscapers/lawn maintanence companies. As long as we dont need to be certified it won't happen. You might get a % to actually join it (the legit people) but it would be so difficult to enforce it that it wouldnt work out. You'd end up having a National group that was priced higher then everyone else and all to show for it is that your in a national group.

This is why I'm getting certified in as many directions as I can. This year getting pest certification, then ICPI for hardscapes, joining groups to show as references. People who want quality work are going to appreciate that I think and just aids them in going with me.

The easiest way to deal with it...without lube...is to just say to yourself "I don't want clients that are worried about price, I want clients that want quality" and go from there :D

meets1
02-08-2006, 07:39 PM
I understand where your coming from. I have the same problem here. Not that were high but we command a fair price for the work received. I don't run into BIG companies like some of you guys but I have trouble with the "little guy" that will bid a whole complex for 10K a year. Sure he gets it, hangs around there all summer doing his good deeds, shines his craftsman up and puffs the nik-stick. I am glad it is him!

You'll never consolidate LCO's into a uniform pricing structure. That is part of business. I always try to keep the plate full but sometimes it is tough going with the BIg or LITTLE guys seriously underbidding and simply NOT KNOWING!

StrawHatLawncare
02-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Folks,
It sounds like a nice idea for everyone to get together and come up with standard pricing but its actually illegal, at least if its done that way. Anytime a group of businesses get together to agree on the pricing they plan to offer the general public for a service, its considered price fixing, cant do it. Competition is what makes the economy work, or at least seem like it does. If someone else is undercutting your price, then they have figured out ways to reduce their costs or improve their efficiencies. If you give up and walk away, you risk the chance of losing everything eventually. Take another look at the project, try to find ways to improve your efficiencies, cut your costs, upgrade to a faster machine, give your help some efficiency goals and offer them a bonus if they make them.
Good Luck!

DUSTYCEDAR
02-08-2006, 08:57 PM
It sounds like a nice idea for everyone to get together and come up with standard pricing but its actually illegal

that may be true but have u bought gas latley? in town we have 4 stations 1 on each corner and they r all within 3 cents of each other??????????

CLARK LAWN
02-08-2006, 09:08 PM
if the government entities that are responsible for regulating things would do there job it would help out alot. such as you have your truck and trailer all legit with comm. plates and insurence and all and here comes another guy who just "wants to make some money on the side" non comm. plates on truck and trailer. they are using the truck to make money therefore it is required to have comm. plates. police should bust them and fine them every day till they get legal or quit. thats the only way its ever going to get better same with snow plowing i dont care if you only do one lot for 50 buck you are using your vehicle for commercial purposes make sure its legal.

Norm Al
02-08-2006, 10:20 PM
thats why i am doing this now www.colornew.com

battags
02-09-2006, 12:06 AM
its just how it works

Ditto.

Just focus on providing quality service at respectable prices. By respectable, I don't mean 'low balling' or 'gouging' on the other end of the spectum. You know your market, competition, and local economy, making you better off than any of us at setting price that will be accepted.

The industry has always been this way, and will always be this way. Those who survive have figured how to play the game.

Brian

PMLAWN
02-09-2006, 04:33 AM
Can you say Airline Industry,
Two ways to go, Keep playing the game and overcome the obsticials, stay lean, learn to live on smaller profits.
Or get in a different game that still has easy rules and larger profits.

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-09-2006, 07:04 AM
if the government entities that are responsible for regulating things would do there job it would help out alot. such as you have your truck and trailer all legit with comm. plates and insurence and all and here comes another guy who just "wants to make some money on the side" non comm. plates on truck and trailer. they are using the truck to make money therefore it is required to have comm. plates. police should bust them and fine them every day till they get legal or quit. thats the only way its ever going to get better same with snow plowing i dont care if you only do one lot for 50 buck you are using your vehicle for commercial purposes make sure its legal.

The last thing we need is more government regulation.....There is too much government now. How about educating the customers to what they should look for and require of hired services. If the customers require high standards then the market will lean toward those of us who are legit.....

Quality and reliabilty before price... That is how I retain customers.

geogunn
02-09-2006, 10:27 AM
I bid $79,000.

theres a good 5-6 arces to mow every week and you have to collect the grass. The whole area has good tree coverage so in the fall theres a lot of leafs. And hedge trimming would take at least 3-4hours per building and the place had like 13 buildings.

sir--looking at these numbersI find the following:

$79,000 / 6 acres = $13,166 per acre per year.

$13,166 / 52 weekly servicings per year = $253.20 per acre per week

I have not calculated the hedging (which would be about 4 times/year), ferts, clippings disposal nor mulch.

but at $253.20 per acre per week that doesn't sound too bad even if you provide the other services.

there are lawn boys here mowing an acre for 20 bucks and bragging about it.

GEO

CLARK LAWN
02-09-2006, 12:07 PM
The last thing we need is more government regulation.....There is too much government now. How about educating the customers to what they should look for and require of hired services. If the customers require high standards then the market will lean toward those of us who are legit.....

Quality and reliabilty before price... That is how I retain customers.
i'm not saying more regulation just enforcement of the exsisting ones.i see it alot around here with new customers that don't think they should pay sales tax because the last two guys they had didnt collect tax but they also quit showing half way through the summer now i give them a bill and they get pi$$ed because there's tax on it.like im trying to scam them as for retntion i retain about 85%-90% of the ones i want to keep from year to year. you always get a couple PITA's that you let go.

Duck Dodger
02-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure what the laws are about setting prices but the mechanics seem to get away with it. They have some book that tells them how much each service should cost. On the other hand you just need to figure how to be more effecient. I could be accused of being low I have around 20 commercial properties that I'm able to pay myself 60+ from I bid them alittle lower than I should have, but I wanted to get the bid. I knew what my cost would be and just decided how much money I wanted to make for working 32 weeks a year. With my wife making in the 40-50 range we live comfortably and I don't care how many haters there are.

PROCUT1
02-09-2006, 02:34 PM
As long as all it takes to be in "business" is a pickup and a mower, this will always occur. Lawnguys are not viewed as "professionals" like mechanics and plumbers etc and honestly thats because most are not...

People view lawn guys as workin class guys makin a few bucks doing a job that anyone is capable of and thats only worth so much money.

This dosent apply to REAL LANDSCAPE CONTRACTORS, your walkway and wallbuilders and such. People are willing to pay for quality there.

If you dont like the money, or lack of, get an education and a REAL SKILL that not everyone has and market that. Look at the posts on here, everyone thinks they are going to revolutionize mowing..... Mowing is mowing.

This is not life or death..... Ill take the $20 lawn guy over the $45 guy. So what he stops showing up mid year.....Ill move on to the next guy for $20.

Again I say its amazing with over 30,000 members, we are all the highest priced, highest quality professional companies out there. Yet probably 80 percent dont have a clue what to charge to put a yard of mulch in and they post on here to thousands of others that dont have a clue either.

kc2006
02-09-2006, 02:42 PM
As long as all it takes to be in "business" is a pickup and a mower, this will always occur. Lawnguys are not viewed as "professionals" like mechanics and plumbers etc and honestly thats because most are not...

People view lawn guys as workin class guys makin a few bucks doing a job that anyone is capable of and thats only worth so much money.

This dosent apply to REAL LANDSCAPE CONTRACTORS, your walkway and wallbuilders and such. People are willing to pay for quality there.

If you dont like the money, or lack of, get an education and a REAL SKILL that not everyone has and market that. Look at the posts on here, everyone thinks they are going to revolutionize mowing..... Mowing is mowing.

This is not life or death..... Ill take the $20 lawn guy over the $45 guy. So what he stops showing up mid year.....Ill move on to the next guy for $20.

Again I say its amazing with over 30,000 members, we are all the highest priced, highest quality professional companies out there. Yet probably 80 percent dont have a clue what to charge to put a yard of mulch in and they post on here to thousands of others that dont have a clue either.

I agree 100%. Like I said in my other post in this thread, I am making my business as professional as I can so I can charge premium rates. Getting certified in as many areas as I can so I can slap it in front of the customer and show them that I indeem am a professional.

You hit the nail on the head procut.

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-09-2006, 03:12 PM
.i see it alot around here with new customers that don't think they should pay sales tax because the last two guys they had didnt collect tax but they also quit showing half way through the summer now i give them a bill and they get pi$$ed because there's tax on it.

That is part of educating your new customer's and one of the reasons to use written service agreements that outline your business and how you run it before they get the first bill. Then if they don't like that you are legit and collect tax you will know it up front.......

D

CLARK LAWN
02-09-2006, 05:07 PM
my estimates say xxx plus all applicable sales/use tax so they know but most still think its a scam because they never had to pay it before

battags
02-09-2006, 05:18 PM

A lot of guys on here will read this and take it as a slam. I encourage those people to re-read this post, if you are one of them. There are some very good points to be made here. If you still take it as a slam, then, your probably one of the clueless ones.

Brian

premierlawncare
02-09-2006, 05:22 PM
This happened to the real estate market too. I was working as a Realtor and charging 7% commission. Then when the market went crazy more people entered the business (fairly easy to get in). Since their was more Realtors (supply and demand) then that started lowering commissions. Now people charge flat fees of around 1-2%.

I think the only thing to do is fight them at their own game. Be lean and mean. Super efficient. Clean. and Reliable.

I think some LCO's over spend on trucks and equipment and that is one reason the lowballers are so much lower in price. Do you really need a Ford F350 diesel dually 4X4 brand new that cost $50,000 +++ to cut the grass at a shopping center?

battags
02-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Do you really need a Ford F350 diesel dually 4X4 brand new that cost $50,000 +++ to cut the grass at a shopping center?

You do if that contract included plowing the same shopping center in the winter. Year round service is one great way to keep your customers coming back.

Brian

burns60
02-09-2006, 05:36 PM

I just look at it like this. Did you make a profit last year that satisfied you? If you did, then don't worry about that someone else's bid was way out of line on a property. That becomes their problem if they lose on it.

But here is another thought. What if every one in your town needed heart surgery this year or they all needed their refrigerator repaired, their plumbing fixed, car repaired or their house painted. There would be a lot of different prices for these sevices if there was that much need. I think that is what is unique about our business. Practically everyone or every business is in need of lawn services. So, it is a wide open market with so many options for the customer to take that there can't help but be differing and varying pricing.

There may be a possible solution by forming a union, but think of the magnitude of the problems you would get into with this. I don't think there would be a price fixing exposure if there was a union formed, I just don't think participation would be to the point that it could be done.

So, we struggle along hoping that we can secure enough of the market that is out there (at a fair price) to make a decent living with a profit level that we can be satisfied with.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Oh, I forgot to say, that I do agree with your complaint that some companies sure seem to way underbid, but I just don't think it affects my bottom line.

Duck Dodger
02-09-2006, 05:46 PM
burns60 that is exactly what I beleive. If you feel comfortable with how much you make whocares what everyone else is doing. I wonder what the income differences are on here I can only imagine it is huge from top to bottom. I'm sure there are plenty making 100k+ and probably a few that lost that much in one year.

PROCUT1
02-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Unions are for employees....Not owners.....You cant have a lawnboy union...

If you guys formed your union and all raised prices.....Do you really think that EVERYONE would join and do the same thing? You would just make a select group of people that price themselves out of the market.

PMLAWN
02-09-2006, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure what the laws are about setting prices but the mechanics seem to get away with it. They have some book that tells them how much each service should cost. .
Duck, Not how much to charge --Just how long to do the work. Each service center will have their own rate to figure into the time--

Jpocket
02-09-2006, 07:14 PM
You do if that contract included plowing the same shopping center in the winter. Year round service is one great way to keep your customers coming back.

Brian

Yea you need an f-350 but not an 05 maybe a 95' heck even an 85'

scagwildcat
02-09-2006, 07:29 PM
This happened to the real estate market too. I was working as a Realtor and charging 7% commission. Then when the market went crazy more people entered the business (fairly easy to get in). Since their was more Realtors (supply and demand) then that started lowering commissions. Now people charge flat fees of around 1-2%.

I think the only thing to do is fight them at their own game. Be lean and mean. Super efficient. Clean. and Reliable.

I think some LCO's over spend on trucks and equipment and that is one reason the lowballers are so much lower in price. Do you really need a Ford F350 diesel dually 4X4 brand new that cost $50,000 +++ to cut the grass at a shopping center?
YOU HAVE A POINT! BUT HOW DO YOU LOOK ( NOT YOU PERSONALLY)SHOWING UP IN A RUST BUCKET LEAKING OIL IN THE PARKING LOT, AND WITH MOWERS THAT TAKE YOU LONGER TO GET STARTED ,THEN WHAT IT TAKES TO MOW, SECOND, IF YOU SNOW PLOW, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO PLOW THAT LOT WITH A TOYOTA???
WHAT I THINK IS THAT IF YOUR GOING TO DO SOMTHING YOU NEED TO HAVE THE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT TO DO IT WITH!!! AND BY THAT I DONT MEAN GETTING THEM FROM A TAG SALE !!!!!!!

PROCUT1
02-09-2006, 07:47 PM
YOU HAVE A POINT! BUT HOW DO YOU LOOK ( NOT YOU PERSONALLY)SHOWING UP IN A RUST BUCKET LEAKING OIL IN THE PARKING LOT, AND WITH MOWERS THAT TAKE YOU LONGER TO GET STARTED ,THEN WHAT IT TAKES TO MOW, SECOND, IF YOU SNOW PLOW, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO PLOW THAT LOT WITH A TOYOTA???
WHAT I THINK IS THAT IF YOUR GOING TO DO SOMTHING YOU NEED TO HAVE THE TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT TO DO IT WITH!!! AND BY THAT I DONT MEAN GETTING THEM FROM A TAG SALE !!!!!!!

Just dont complain when they hire the guy with the paid-for Toyota because they dont want to pay your overhead for the New F350

samk
02-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Why fret about it you are going to have people that under bid you. I know what I need to make to pay my bills and make a good living. I give a price and they accept or go with someone else nothing I can do about it. There is plenty of buisness out there. So why worry about how the other guy can do it for less.

beautifullawns
02-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Just dont complain when they hire the guy with the paid-for Toyota because they dont want to pay your overhead for the New F350
I have a 06 350 because I sell my image. I got one account, took it from a guy who had it for the past twenty years, because of my look. I know this because I was told I was higher priced, and showed the same quality the previous contractor did but I also brought the image. Not a crew of guys showing up with a old junky looking truck, with their shirts off and mowers looking like they were 15 years old. I have a new clean truck, wear a uniform, and keep all equipment looking clean and new. He said I looked like a million dollars and thats what made his decision. But thats besides the point. My point I was trying to make was that LCOs just bidding to get the job hurts the whole industry. And we should all be upset and try to do something about it. I'm happy with what I got but want more and to move into a higher cliental. But guys are bidding the job just to get the job so they have cash flow coming in and can stay in business is wrong.
All you guys saying its because of the new truck and equipment are wrong. Before coming up with an opinion or something to reply listen to this. First anwser these questions. 1. How much have the prices of mowing changed in the past 10 years. 2. How much has the price of gas increased in the past 10 years. 3. How much have the following increased in the past 10 years, TRUCKS, EQUIPMENT, LABOR, PARTS FOR EQUIPMENT, DUMPING FEES, INSURANCE, TRAILERS, ADVERTISING, STORAGE/RENTAL COSTS, COST OF DOING BUSINESS(TAXES, BANK FEES,ETC.), LABOR COSTS.
Am I the only one that sees the problem now?:confused:

yrdandgardenhandyman
02-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Folks,
It sounds like a nice idea for everyone to get together and come up with standard pricing but its actually illegal, at least if its done that way. Anytime a group of businesses get together to agree on the pricing they plan to offer the general public for a service, its considered price fixing, cant do it. Competition is what makes the economy work, or at least seem like it does. If someone else is undercutting your price, then they have figured out ways to reduce their costs or improve their efficiencies. If you give up and walk away, you risk the chance of losing everything eventually. Take another look at the project, try to find ways to improve your efficiencies, cut your costs, upgrade to a faster machine, give your help some efficiency goals and offer them a bonus if they make them.
Good Luck!

Not necessarily. Many times they are lower because they are lousy business people, don't know their costs and eventually give up. The problem is that most who come into this business do so because they think it's easy money and only look at it as they are making $25.00/hour, that's more than they make on their day job, but are not savvy enough to realize that their costs ultimately add up to that same amount. And they just keep coming.
All is not lost though. Their are still many many customers who appreciate good, reliable service and are sick of getting less from the cheap guys.
There are a few really good services in this town and I like to think I am at least working at join their ranks. I very seldom take customers from them but I do get quite a few who are sick of the fly by nighters and do appreciate how the rest of us run our business.
As has been said here before, do a great job, be reliable and honest, and the good clients will come. I figure the fly by nighters create more customers for me. :)

yrdandgardenhandyman
02-09-2006, 09:27 PM
It sounds like a nice idea for everyone to get together and come up with standard pricing but its actually illegal

that may be true but have u bought gas latley? in town we have 4 stations 1 on each corner and they r all within 3 cents of each other??????????

Remember that there are big signs showing the price. If you could find out exactly what everybody else charged for an individual service, and they ALL knew what you charged, don't you think all of our prices would be very close to the same? It would be a lot easier to charge the best price without leaving any money on the table.
Pluss, gas prices fluctuate all the time.

yrdandgardenhandyman
02-09-2006, 09:32 PM

Yeah, I get that all the time. "What's your regular job? Where do you work when you're not mowing?" Or "You make a living doing this?"

PROCUT1
02-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Remember this : Customers do not care about equipment, trucks, uniforms, or any thing along those lines nearly as much as the lawnguy does.

I ran old junk and ran brand new shiny lettered trucks.... I dont think I got a single customer because my trucks were new.

IBM or a major corporation with a huge complex will care about equipment and can guarentee that they wont be looking to hire anyone on here, myself included. They're the ones that want to see the Brickman or Valleycrest fleet.

Before I sold the lawn division, with hundreds of homes, I will make a bet that MOST of the clients didnt even know what color the truck was that came to their house every week let alone if it was an 06 or an 86.

Granted I am in no way saying all of the professionalism ideas are bad, theyre absolutely not. Im just saying to do it because you like it and it makes you feel good and you can be proud of your image.

My somewhat straight forward comments on here are from experience....From making all the mistakes that I did and it took me years to realize what this business really is and what is really important/

beautifullawns
02-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Before I sold the lawn division, with hundreds of homes, I will make a bet that MOST of the clients didnt even know what color the truck was that came to their house every week let alone if it was an 06 or an 86.
I interact with all my customers and I have had many of them say to me that they saw my new truck and it looks great or saw the solgan I just put on my truck and they say they love it. Also neighbors see you sometimes and your image will stay with them.

scagwildcat
02-10-2006, 09:58 AM
I interact with all my customers and I have had many of them say to me that they saw my new truck and it looks great or saw the solgan I just put on my truck and they say they love it. Also neighbors see you sometimes and your image will stay with them.

i agree beautifullawns, i dont agree with procut1 , not trying to start any thing , and there is nothing wrong with a toyota, but as stated before, what if you get a contract with a complex, and you need to remove debris or they ask you to plow for them???? how will a toyota work ???? and as far as complaining goes. YES I DO!!!!! because, as stated before, fuel, insurance and every thing else has gone up, but what has happened to the price of mowing??? ITS GONE DOWN !! Why??? because , we as lco's that pay taxes and rely on mowing to put food on the table, have to compete with the part timer that just wants extra money in their pockets for the weekend, and im fine with that , every one needs to make a living, but they need to charge a fair market price... if i show up in a nice lettered truck, it shows that im serious about what i do, it may mean that i charge more but, im a one stop shop, were as the guy that shows up in a rusted 1985 toyota.he comes across as im cheap i may not show up when you want me too, and i cant tell you how long a job will take me to finish because i only work on sat/ sundays when you are home and want to relax in you back yard, oh and i hope the sound of my mower doesnt bother you while your relaxing on sunday morning around say 8am..... i say we need to all get on the same page.... by that i dont mean lets all price the same, but lets all have to have some state rules . on how we can perform our service to people or have it a law that we need to show clients that we are insured, before bidding a job. i know in ct... we dont have to supply our insurance unless asked...... i think that this would open peoples eyes, and get rid of some people out there that
dont pay taxes,or dont have insurance, we then will have lower taxes ,or at least have a chance to have lower taxes, and less competition.......

JimLewis
02-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Iv'e said it before, we need to somehow "ban" together forming some type of standard in pricing and professionalism and qualifications in this industry. It would be no easy task but I think definitely worth trying. But its the greedy, lowballing scrubs, kids and guys just doing it for fun or a little extra spending money that will make it impossible to achieve that level of business. And this on-going problem will only get worse every year and eventually effect ALL of us!

That's never going to happen. There will always be lowballers out there and they will probably be more of them in the future. Nothing you can do about them. It's a free market. And this is what happens in a free market.

The only thing you can sell is QUALITY AND PROFESSIONALISM. If you are trying to run a business based solely on offering the lowest, most competitive price, you'll soon be out of business! You need to start focusing more on your quality, professionalism, image, reputation, etc. Then customers will seek you out, not because you are cheapest, but because you are well-known for being the most professional, reliable, and established company around.

And you also need to focus more on marketing, in my opinion. Because if you were getting tons of calls every day, you wouldn't be so concerned about one client who was just looking at price.

I never, ever, get worried when someone doesn't hire us because they consider us too expensive. Because I'm out giving another 10 or 15 bids that week. I may not land that one. But not everyone I give a bid to is going to be so concerned about only price. So I know for sure I'm going to land a few of the others. I'm not concerned about the NO's, I'm just excited about the YES's. If your company has positioned itself well in the market and your marketing is strong, then it's just a numbers game. And the ones you do land will be profitable for you.