PDA

View Full Version : grub eaten lawn renovation

Rocking Chair
02-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Ok, I'm looking for the easy way out. There is a lawn area of about an acre that has been decimated by grubs. They want me to reseed it before the season starts and people are out on it (I'm in the northeast, this is a condo assoc.) I'm trying to figure out how to do so without having to rake out, re loam and then reseed. This time of year materials are impossible to find / work. I don't want to till it then have to roll it all out. I know whatever I suggest there will be an argument about price. With those parameters in mind, any suggestions? Don't tell me not to do it, I already thought about that, thank you.

lawn king
02-08-2006, 03:52 PM
There's no easy way out on that job. I would rototill it, york rake,fertilize,lime if necessary & hydroseed it heavy on the rye.

nocutting
02-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Ok, I'm looking for the easy way out. There is a lawn area of about an acre that has been decimated by grubs. They want me to reseed it before the season starts and people are out on it (I'm in the northeast, this is a condo assoc.) I'm trying to figure out how to do so without having to rake out, re loam and then reseed. This time of year materials are impossible to find / work. I don't want to till it then have to roll it all out. I know whatever I suggest there will be an argument about price. With those parameters in mind, any suggestions? Don't tell me not to do it, I already thought about that, thank you.
Truely the simpleist way is to use a slit seeder and do it in a criss-cross pattern...a slicer will incorporate the seed into the soil, the dead areas will act like peat to hold moisture[ we do this all the time] even after a property has been "Round Uped", no need to make a big mess rakeing out all that dead grass, no need to roll it unless its lumpy.......wait 7-10 days to fertilize [ as not to injure the seed....."Good Luck" .........PS[ charge enough to do spot seeding as a follow-up treatment if needed]:waving:

freddyc
02-08-2006, 04:33 PM
before you do anything try to make sure the grubs/moles are gone.

It would be a shame to have a nice lawn and then Mr. Mole moves in in April/May.

TURFLORD
02-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Truely the simpleist way is to use a slit seeder and do it in a criss-cross pattern...a slicer will incorporate the seed into the soil, the dead areas will act like peat to hold moisture[ we do this all the time] even after a property has been "Round Uped", no need to make a big mess rakeing out all that dead grass, no need to roll it unless its lumpy.......wait 7-10 days to fertilize [ as not to injure the seed....."Good Luck" .........PS[ charge enough to do spot seeding as a follow-up treatment if needed]:waving:
I agree totally. By now the dead grass is decomposed enough to where a slicer will cut through it without to much mess. I would suggest 1 or 2 app. to knock down the populations a bit. First week of Aug. and first week of Oct. or maybe a little earlier, you're more north of me.

Rocking Chair
02-12-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm hoping to get the lawn back before the right time to deal with the grubs, and at which point I'm being directed towards nematodes.

Thanks for your replies.

YardPro
02-12-2006, 10:57 PM

watch out.. she shovel will jump in and tell you how you are not a quality professional for not tilling, ammending, blah, blah, blah.......;)

i totally agree... i have never seen the need to remove dead grass... it decomposes and truns into a nice organic layer.... it also is easy for new roots to grow into....