PDA

View Full Version : Advertising

Sean Adams
02-08-2006, 04:49 PM
What new advertising possibilities are you looking into this winter for the upcoming season to promote and grow your business?

cleancutccl
02-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Wow, guess I'm the first one. Trying a small add in the yellow book, but mostly do doorhangers in neighborhoods that I am established in.

Jason Rose
02-08-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm in the yellow book and yellow pages. I guess it's not really a trial since Iv'e been in both before. The only reason I haven't ventured towards other methods is cost. I was thinking seriously about doing direct mail but it looks like it would be about $1,000 minimum and that's out of my budget, plus I'm not hearing a lot of good feedback about direct mail either...

Telemarketing is going by the way of the Dodo with the do not call lists out there and just the fact that 99% of the population will brand you as scum if you cold call them trying to sell them anything.

Sean Adams
02-08-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm in the yellow book and yellow pages. I guess it's not really a trial since Iv'e been in both before. The only reason I haven't ventured towards other methods is cost. I was thinking seriously about doing direct mail but it looks like it would be about $1,000 minimum and that's out of my budget, plus I'm not hearing a lot of good feedback about direct mail either...

Telemarketing is going by the way of the Dodo with the do not call lists out there and just the fact that 99% of the population will brand you as scum if you cold call them trying to sell them anything.

Direct Mail depends on the effectiveness of the presentation...we consistently experienced a 15% success rate when using direct mail...

And telemarketing gets a bad rap as a whole.... a local service provider striking up conversation and offering a free estimate is a lot different than a foreigner speaking broken english trying to convince you the US government wants to give you a $12,000 tax refund if you provide them with your checking account number....

kc2006
02-08-2006, 06:20 PM
In the yellow pages and yellow book (wont be going back with the yellow book since no one uses it hardly) for the first time this year. Also putting out 16,000 flyers in a local paper. In a local church bulletin that goes to 300+ people weekly. Putting an add in the local free newspaper that goes out to homeowners. I personally will be putting out doorhangers and magnets in my spare time, I expect to put out 4000 roughly of them throughout the spring.

tpiper
02-08-2006, 06:26 PM
sean
glad you brought this subject up. i met with a salesman from yellow book today. prices seem fair and he is willing to help me out with a few extras. just wondering what results others are getting from yellow pages?
terry

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-08-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm going to do AM radio, a station here does a daily show called Value Line. The way it works is this. The radio station writes the spot. A business authorizes the station to sell a set amount of coupons in their name, at a discount price. For example, a $10 coupon for $6. When coupons are sold, the station keeps that money to cover the cost of the show. When the customer redeems the coupon thats where the business pays for the advertising. Being a start-up company, I will at least get my name out there even if nobody decides to buy my coupons. I authorized them to sell $400 worth of coupons because thats what one week of advertising costs on the station. My business will be on Value Line from March to August. If the coupons sell quickly I can authorize them to sell more. The show host does an excellent job reading the spots. This station is the one locally that carries todays top shows, such as Limbaugh and Hannity. The Value Line show is between the local morning show and Limbaugh. I'm going to hang 5000 door hangers when the radio ad starts.

impactlandscaping
02-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Sean, we dropped our YP ads for this year. Not enough qualified leads, more like a compulsory event for being in business, you know? We did direct mail last year, and had great results, so we are going that route again. Nothing like being able to target your clients(20K at a time) like you can w/ direct mail. We are also doing some radio spots in March, April, and May. We will be sponsoring a "Working Women's Wednesday" at a local hotel. They have a live radio remote(most listened to station in NC WV) for ladie's night each Wed., and all you have to commit to is $ 60.00 min. each week in prizes or services. In return, we will get approx. $ 500.00 in advertising each month. This will be our sixth season, and we are getting branded very well.People notice our trucks and yard signs all over the area, so I felt this year was more about reinforcing the brand recognition than "advertising" to gain more clients.Here's to a great season, and a repeat season for the Steelers in '06-/07:drinkup:

garydale
02-09-2006, 10:00 AM
This year we are trying a couple of different methods.
Verizon Superpages (Free)
Place mats at Four Local Resturants
Join Chamber of Commerce.
Booth at Spring Festival.
Post cards to "Cherry picked" lawns in our area.
Bought a company profile in loacal paper.

We have been the yellow page/yellow book route (Dropped it 2 years ago)
Newspaper and flyers were ineffective.

Good results with Free application for refferral from current customer.

You just have to keep your name out there.

Sean Adams
02-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Sean, we dropped our YP ads for this year. Not enough qualified leads, more like a compulsory event for being in business, you know? We did direct mail last year, and had great results, so we are going that route again. Nothing like being able to target your clients(20K at a time) like you can w/ direct mail. We are also doing some radio spots in March, April, and May. We will be sponsoring a "Working Women's Wednesday" at a local hotel. They have a live radio remote(most listened to station in NC WV) for ladie's night each Wed., and all you have to commit to is $ 60.00 min. each week in prizes or services. In return, we will get approx. $ 500.00 in advertising each month. This will be our sixth season, and we are getting branded very well.People notice our trucks and yard signs all over the area, so I felt this year was more about reinforcing the brand recognition than "advertising" to gain more clients.Here's to a great season, and a repeat season for the Steelers in '06-/07:drinkup:

Ladies Night....very cool

I definitely like the idea of radio when it comes to branding a name.... best of luck with that!

Gatewayuser
02-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Targeted fliers and letters to high end customers.

jondcoleman
02-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Post cards to "Cherry picked" lawns in our area.

Any chance we could take a look at one of those?

impactlandscaping
02-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Ladies Night....very cool

I definitely like the idea of radio when it comes to branding a name.... best of luck with that!

We are doing a "Desperate Housewives" type of promotion.I'll send an employee to the lucky winner's house for one hour of service, being mowing, trimming, a flat of annuals installed, etc..When we get the graphics done, I'll try and post one here. Now, if we all could lose15-30 pounds:p

LorentzLawnSnow
02-09-2006, 08:33 PM
this year i plan to team up with a local guy that is getting into the residential refuse removal business. i know he is good at what he does and has a good business plan in place. i plan to select higher end neighborhoods and send flyers out advertising lawn maintenace and offering free trash removal service for 6 months after signing up for a full season's mowing services. he is charging $13 a month for trash pickup. i figure it should be easy enough to make up most of the trash money by having all my customers together thus saving time and fuel. and i'll be helping him get started as well. this will also get my foot in these doors to sell other services where i can make up more of the money. this is an idea i have been kicking around, any feedback is appreciated.

Green-Pro
02-16-2006, 06:22 PM
No category for it but I've contacted some different business owners (carpet cleaning company, pizza parlor) and am partnering up with them. Carpet company and I will exchange promotional material to send out with our invoices/statements. Pizza parlor owner will sell me some products at cost and split advertising costs 70/30 (me 70) so I can offer free menu items with so many $$ worth of services.
I will also target some of the smaller towns with some newspaper advertising.

JTHutch
02-17-2006, 07:04 PM
I think it depends on where you live. Direct mail and cold calls just don't work in this Town. Hutchinson is realativly small and there is quite a few LCO's out there. People want to meet you and they want to contact you. This is just in my experience. I tryed door hangers. I only did about 300 of them I recieved exactly 1 response and that was to complain about the door hanger. I may have been in the wrong neighborhood but I'm with Jason Rose Direct mail seems like a lot of wasted money.

palawnman
02-17-2006, 07:54 PM
Last year it was basically an ad in a free newspaper that gets mailed to everyone's houses and flyers. This year I am looking for another newspaper to put an ad since I was pretty succesful with the other paper. And I think that I will be leaning more towards door hangers instead of flyers. And with the doorhangers I am going to try to put out as many as I can that have the estimate prices already on them. So if they call I pretty much already know that I have the job.

Ron

olderthandirt
02-17-2006, 08:03 PM
What new advertising possibilities are you looking into this winter for the upcoming season to promote and grow your business?

Sean, what do you think of the idea of state wide advertising and then forming an association of sub contractors to cover the areas that you can't????
Sure would provide growth opportunity if the logistics could be worked out IMO

deereman
02-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Well for us we just put our name and address and phone number in the yellow pages so know advertising, just that they see our name and info I just mentioned.And weve only gotten a few calls from that . I noticed that one of the (bigger co.) quit all together. So I think that there response was prob. of that we had. We send special flyers that we make up to different potential customers that we would like to service and have had great success with this approach. But best of all is word of mouth.

Gatewayuser
02-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Sean, what do you think of the idea of state wide advertising and then forming an association of sub contractors to cover the areas that you can't????
Sure would provide growth opportunity if the logistics could be worked out IMO

What is it with you and associations I saw you wanted to do that for snow too, it sounds too much like a union to me:eek:. Could be a good idea though but too much work.

olderthandirt
02-17-2006, 11:58 PM
What is it with you and associations I saw you wanted to do that for snow too, it sounds too much like a union to me:eek:. Could be a good idea though but too much work.

Think millions of $$$$ not a few thousand $$$$ So how much work do you consider is to much for 2-3 million a yr?

Don't think union think of it as 1 big company with employees
Other conglomerates hire 1 big company to do all the landscaping, plowing and maintenece work.

Now quit trying to change the subject :waving:

rodfather
02-20-2006, 12:01 PM
All new business is by referral only. We have never advertised using DM, YP, TV, etc.

Lux Lawn
02-20-2006, 12:41 PM
I am doing Direct Mail Post Cards this year.Not a lot maybe 3000-4000...I will also be sending out some fliers that are left over from last year,probably around 1000.Other than that I am advertising in the Angie's List Publication and with the referrals.
I agree with Rod that referrals are the best way to get new business, and if done right can be an inexpensive way of getting new customers.

impactlandscaping
02-20-2006, 01:36 PM
That's right Larry.Referrals are the best for three reasons over any other form of advertising:

1) They have already seen your work in the referring friend/famliy member/co worker's yard

2) You can bet the homeowner had told them the price paid for the work done

3) IT's not costing you anything to get a pre qualified, price informed, and ready to sign client after getting a good referral.

The rest of the advertising we do is all compulsory BS, mainly for name recognition and brand awareness, which complement the referrals.

kyles974
02-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Phone book is great, but have to go some what large.

GemSon Lawn
03-20-2006, 01:26 PM
We took a chance on a big ad in yellow pages this year, we are going to see what happens.

DistLawns
03-23-2006, 12:19 PM
We are spending 1400 bucs to distribute 24000 fliers in each area that we are targeting thru a local newpaper,and it includes a 13 week, 3 line add for our company. I'm a little nervouse about spending this much money, but I figure 2-3 accounts (residential) pays for it all. What do you guys think? Too big of a risk, or a good investment for the future?