PDA

View Full Version : What do you drive????

Bobcat s250 NY
02-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Hey guy since i started in this business i was never sure what to drive when i go on my estimates. What do you guys drive? I dont have a pick up truck that i see many guys driving around. I only have my dump, flatbed, and box truck. I have thought to drive my personal car, but didnt know if it would seem un professional. Any thoughts????:gunsfirin

cgland
02-08-2006, 10:36 PM
I use my personal vehicle. It's a Ford Explorer Sport. Not too crappy, not too fancy! I do alot of estimates and I would rather be a little more comfortable while driving, plus it is waaayyy better on gas than any of my trucks.

Chris

mbella
02-08-2006, 10:46 PM
I rent a limo. I think that if the potential customer sees me pull up in a limo, they will think I am successful and, therefore, good at what I do.

Yeah, I have my whole entourage in there: my vendor, foreman, laborers, accountant, etc. Sometimes, Chris from CGLAND makes a guest appearance. It's pretty cool. Expensive, but cool.

Seriously, I use my 1993 F-250 pickup. It has new paint and is respectable, but not even close to fancy. Sometimes, when all of my trucks are in the shop or leaking or not available, I have to use my wife's car, which I don't like to do because it is somewhat fancy.

Drafto
02-08-2006, 10:53 PM
I use my truck, which is my only company vehicle, or my wifes Durango. Once I thought about going on an estimate in one of my guy's Cavalier so I could leave my truck with them, I coudn't do it.

I think the way some of us think is funny though. I called a very reputable siding and roof company once for an estimate and didn't think anything of the Subaru Outback the guy pulled up in. But for me? I would never do it, don't know why though? Maybe I wouldn't fit in one.:)

I do like taking the Durango on estimates, besides the cookie crumbs from the kids, it is nice and roomy and neat. I think the SUV approach is more palletable to me.

Dan

bigviclbi
02-08-2006, 10:54 PM
One time I pulled up in my moms landrover discovery (my truck was in the shop) and the guy made a comment like"You shouldn't drive a car that nice, you must be charging too much." Well I DON"T drive a car that nice (1993 f-350) but it pissed me off. What, we can't be successful? Charged that guy a $500.00 a$$hole fee though which made up for itpayup

Drafto
02-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I use my truck, which is my only company vehicle, or my wifes Durango. Once I thought about going on an estimate in one of my guy's Cavalier so I could leave my truck with them, I coudn't do it.

I think the way some of us think is funny though. I called a very reputable siding and roof company once for an estimate and didn't think anything of the Subaru Outback the guy pulled up in. But for me? I would never do it, don't know why though? Maybe I wouldn't fit in one.:)

I do like taking the Durango on estimates, besides the cookie crumbs from the kids, it is nice and roomy and neat. I think the SUV approach is more palletable to me.

Dan

Before you say ANYTHING Chris, I know I overused the word "think" in this post.

Dan

cgland
02-08-2006, 11:05 PM
GEEZ Dan - I think I'm giving you a complex!.......I think!

Chris

cgland
02-08-2006, 11:26 PM
By the way Dan! I thought you drove a Scion? What custom options did you choose? :laugh:

Chris

Drafto
02-09-2006, 12:05 AM
By the way Dan! I thought you drove a Scion? What custom options did you choose? :laugh:

Chris

Where are your job pictures for this thread?:confused:

UNISCAPER
02-09-2006, 01:04 AM
My 1940 Ford Standard pick up truck with flathead Ford 100HP V-8. Straight pipes running up the cab back, oak floor, roll tuck seats, 3 on the floor.

Spoked Ford wheels. No, I don't use Fords for any type of serious work, they cost too much to maintain.

cedarcroft
02-09-2006, 08:29 AM
I roll in a 1998 ford taurus wagon complete with 3 car seats and 79 lbs of crushed cheerios and pretzels on the floor and between the seats. I used to drive my 2003 Jeep Rubicon but its gone. that was the perfect vehicle. it was nice enough to maintain respectability, but not fancy. I don't care how much money you make, your customers don't want to see you driving a mercedes or land rover. they want to think you are successful enough to have a decent car or truck, but they don't want to feel like they paid for your extravagant lifestyle.
in my opinion the perfect blend of respectability and modesty is a full size SUV like a Suburban, Excursion Tahoe, expedition etc. Thats what I want next.

Dreams To Designs
02-09-2006, 09:13 AM
2004 F150 Lariat, extended cab, so that I can enjoy the ride and when I take a client to a nursery or stone yard they are comfortable as well. It may be too nice of a truck to work with, but I'm the one that drives it all over the state, and I will be comfortable as I sit on the NJ Turnpike on the way to North Jersey.

Kirk

Green-Pro
02-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Yugo, but if it wont run the vesper :)

work_it
02-09-2006, 09:47 AM
In the off season and sometimes on bids I'll drive my '96 Dodge Stratus. For anything else I use my '87 Chevy V-20 4x4.

Bobcat s250 NY
02-09-2006, 01:15 PM
So i guess its safe to say leave the BMW home huh. I did get a few comments about it on a couple estimates. :realmad: Guess i will have to try to borrow my parents explorer for estimates.

My original thought was that if you drive to nice of a car the people would think ur expensive right off the bat. If they only knew the BMW was the least of the bills. Pretty weird when u think about how much you pay for a car a month, Its Stupid actually when u pay almost the same for a new bobcat that actually makes you money and the car only looks good:cool: .

sheshovel
02-09-2006, 01:49 PM
'53 GMC shortbed pick up

work_it
02-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Agreed Bobcat s250, I would much rather have a Bobcat than an overpriced car that will cost too much to maintain. Heck, if I had that much money laying around ($30,000 - $80,000) a car would be one of the last things on my list to buy. I would much rather own land or rental properties.

Funny that some of you mention the way some potential customers view the vehicles we drive. It's OK for them to drive a vehicle that costs outragous money, but not us. I had people constantly approach me for bids when I was driving an old '81 Chevy c-10 rust-bucket that belonged on Sanford & Son. They would say things like, 'I can tell you're prices are reasonable.' LOL, that one still cracks me up.

cleancutccl
02-09-2006, 02:28 PM
I drive an 04 chevy silverado 1500 for estimates. Personally I would pick the company that looked nice and respectable over the guy that pulls up in a junker. I don't mean the bmw as nice and respectable, but just a nice truck. I think it shows a respect for their company and for the work that they do.

work_it
02-09-2006, 02:54 PM
I drive an 04 chevy silverado 1500 for estimates. Personally I would pick the company that looked nice and respectable over the guy that pulls up in a junker. I don't mean the bmw as nice and respectable, but just a nice truck. I think it shows a respect for their company and for the work that they do.
I always thought that too. I love the look of some of the trucks and outfits others on this forum have, but what we like to see and what potential customers like to see may be worlds apart.
Also take into consideration that every person out there has their own views and opinions. When I was using my old beater I ran across a few potential customers who refused to hire me because of the way it looked. Then again, I landed a lot of bids in very wealthy neighborhoods because it looked so bad. Who knows, maybe they felt sorry for me.
I love the truck I have now ('87 Chevy V-20 4x4 w/ 6" lift and 305/70R16's mounted on some Weld Racing rims). It's a good looking truck and doesn't give the appearance of being over paid.
What I did learn was not to critisize/judge others by what they drive. I look at it and say, 'Good for you. Good to see you out there making it work .... instead of sucking the system dry or selling drugs.'

Rex Mann
02-09-2006, 08:10 PM
I drive a pickup truck, 2005 F450 4X4, to appointments most of the time. Most of my appoints are during the day during the week.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com

cgland
02-09-2006, 09:39 PM
There is an F-450 Pick up!?!?!? I've never heard of that.

Chris

I drive a pickup truck, 2005 F450 4X4, to appointments most of the time. Most of my appoints are during the day during the week.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com

Bobcat s250 NY
02-09-2006, 09:53 PM
There is an F-450 Pick up!?!?!? I've never heard of that.

Chris

Sure is
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/karbs23/th_forddeluxe1.jpg (http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/karbs23/forddeluxe1.jpg)

Truck is sweet

cgland
02-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Damn! Seems like overkill to me!

Chris

Rex Mann
02-09-2006, 10:20 PM
I can put 2 pallets of pavers each weighing 3500 pounds in the bed and it does
not squat. It comes down to safety. It has the ability to move the load, as most trucks would: However, it can also stop it very well. And, with a GVW of 17,000 pounds its a legal load. Arizona fines start at $1.00 for each pound you are over weight.

Peace,

Rex

http://AnthemPavers.Com

Squizzy246B
02-10-2006, 02:30 AM
Hey guy since i started in this business i was never sure what to drive when i go on my estimates. What do you guys drive? I dont have a pick up truck that i see many guys driving around. I only have my dump, flatbed, and box truck. I have thought to drive my personal car, but didnt know if it would seem un professional. Any thoughts????:gunsfirin

A POS rusty old Ford that is an embarassment to the company. Sometimes I hide it down the street and walk up to the clients house.:) I can get enthusiastic about spending $70K on trucks and machines but for motor vehicles I'm a scrooge...going to have to get something decent....oneday!

stroker51
02-10-2006, 06:02 PM
I drive my 1996 F250 4x4 powerstroke to do estimates and pull heavy stuff. I plan to use my 83 F250 plow truck to actually pull mowers with this year, and keep the miles, and scratches/dents off of my nice pickup.

hortiscape
02-10-2006, 06:15 PM
I often go to estimates from the job site, so whatever is available, 2005's gmc 2500hd4wd, duramax, 3500 4wd duamax or 4500 4wd duramax. If it were convienient to take the family rig, montana awd. It seems completely appropriate due to your communication skills, experience and reputation are what sells the job.

Birdjr
02-10-2006, 06:44 PM
i usually take my personal truck dodge ram 2500 quadcab 4wd

zedosix
02-11-2006, 08:00 PM
My 05 F350 Lariat if I want the job and my corvette if I don't want the job.:)

drsogr
02-11-2006, 09:07 PM
I drive a 2000 chevy tahoe with a denali frontend. Its a good conversation piece. I get a lot of questions about it.

n2h20
02-11-2006, 11:18 PM
04 2500 hd.. people dont say much negative about it, usually "hey nice truck, you must be doing something right".. i smile and say i try. :)

Gatewayuser
02-12-2006, 12:24 AM
2001 F-350 Single wheel 4x4 or if its far I use my 92 Chevy 1500 it looks like new and its better on gas.

cutntrim
02-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Either 2004 Dodge 2500 4x4 QC, or 2004 GMC 2500 4x4.

grassyfras
02-25-2006, 04:12 AM
Ive dont estimates in an Envoy and even showed up to jobs in a mercedes. If people have a problem with it screw them. I bet most don't even think about the type of car we drive.

YardPro
02-25-2006, 09:08 AM
i drive my 05 2500 hd
i used to drive my wife's bmw535..or one of our volvo's
i found that with the clients i was dealing with, they treated me as more of an equal if i drive up in a car that is on par with thiers.

mas
03-03-2006, 06:30 AM
now 05 2500hd duramax

used to drive a yukon denali with african american rims on it for abit but didnt gather as much respect from the trades people it seems..

also dressing in the carhartt gear or other construction clothes helps when dealing with trades people.. i havent been highballed or told an off the wall lie of an excuse about somthing by a trades person since i started dressing the part.

Albemarle Lawn
03-05-2006, 01:56 AM
Fuel sipper....up to 42 MPG and 425 lb-ft torque.

Or, Mitsubishi-Fuso truck if I want to "look the part."

Paradise Landscapes
03-05-2006, 04:05 AM
My 1991 GMC 1/2 ton thats' all scratched up with some rust needing a paint job.