AintNoFun
02-09-2006, 08:36 AM
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060209/BUSINESS/602090422/1003

rodfather
02-09-2006, 08:54 AM
why doesn't this surprise me?

walker-talker
02-09-2006, 09:59 AM
I know a guy that cancelled his service with Trugreen and they showed up anyway. My friend was working in the front yard when they showed up. When asked what he was doing there he said, "I'm here to spray your backyard". Friend said, "no, I cancelled". TG guy said "I am here to spray and that is what I am doing". My friends says "The F**K you are, you place one foot on my property and I'll call the cops". The TG guy left at that point. I have heard personally from others of them just showing up and servicing their property and sending them a bill. This article doesn't suprise me either.

DFW Area Landscaper
02-09-2006, 10:46 AM
One of my best friends from college, who I've hung out with since 1988, called me the other day. He wanted to know if I could service his lawn this year. He is too far away for me so he asked who he should hire.

I told him, honestly, if I were going to hire someone, I think I would hire Chemlawn. I then explained that their lawns look the best and I suspect the reason is because their employees don't care about saving money on materials and that means getting the spreaders empty faster so they are easier to push. Translated: they are putting down more nitrogen than any one else around here and that's why their lawns look so good.

So I was talking to him the other day. He did sign up with Chemlawn. His lawn is probably 4,000 sq ft of bermuda and that is it. I asked him how much he was paying. He said he was paying $58 per application. I almost fell out of my chair because I struggle to get $39 per application as my minimum and there is a company here who is advertising $29.95 applications every month with door hangers.

This is where I get a little concerned about outright fraud by Chemlawn: He said the normal rate would have been $48 per application but he told them he had a bad crabgrass problem, so his price is $58. The tank mix is the same tank mix they use on all lawns. I know they weren't confusing this with dallisgrass or nutsedge, which do require special treatments. I also know that when I worked for Chemlawn, they were applying Pendy for a pre-emerge and I think they still are today. Regardless, their tank mix in the late winter and spring is going to have a crabgrass pre-emerge in it, whether it is Pendy or another material.

Why did they charge him extra for a crabgrass problem? He signed up for service in the dead of winter, so I am certain that extra $10 isn't for post emergence treatments because nobody in North Texas has crabgrass right now. It hasn't even germinated yet.

Perhaps they assumed he had poa annua. But even then, I can't imagine Chemlawn is going to backpack an entire lawn for poa for an extra $10.

I say the sales person either assumed it was a poa problem this time of year or they are committing outright fraud. My friend tells me there are no grassy weeds on his lawn right now at all.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

nobagger
02-09-2006, 11:02 AM
The Tru-Green around here seems to be a well run outfit. I really haven't had any complaints. I sub out my fert to them and in turn they have been very good to me. When we moved into our new home last Dec. the previous owner had T.G. and yes they called us to "renew" that contract but I told them I owned a lawn care company and was not interested and it was left at that. We didn't get hounded at all. I'm thinking its a branch problem not a company wide problem. And I'm not bias because last season during fall I was going to throttle a guy from T.G. he (one of their drivers) gave a price for aerating to a customer of mine who I had sent to them, so I had to lower my price $25.00 to match theirs but the sales manager I was dealing with called, appologized and gave me 2 customers of theirs and one ended up paying off in the thousands! So no complaints here:)

walker-talker
02-09-2006, 11:58 AM
there is a company here who is advertising $29.95 applications every month with door hangers.
But if you read the fine print, this if for the first application only and it's with a signed contract.

DFW Area Landscaper
02-09-2006, 01:16 PM
No, not Trugreen. There is another company in my area who does all their applications, up to 5,000 sq ft, for $29.95. But that is a topic for another thread.

Later,
DFW Area Landcaper