PDA

View Full Version : Grade 70 chain & hooks

Hummer
02-09-2006, 08:21 AM
From doing a Google search for 'transport chains' (and similar words) it seems that Grade 70 chain & hooks are what I need to safely & legally secure loads on a trailer.

I'm looking at needing to secure a 10,000 lb ASV RC-100, with another 2,000 lbs for a Fecon Bull Hog, for a total of over 12,000 lbs to a trailer.

What actual size of chain should I get? I see it comes in various diameters, lengths and with or without the hooks already attached.

What about load binders? They have to match the chain diameter, but what type should I get? The lever action style or the ratchet style? What are the pro's & con's of each style?

How many chains would be needed at a minimum to secure the equipment that I described above?

Is securing the hooks to the rub rails of a trailer ok to do? Or is it a no no?

Are there any good websites that actually explain the basics of properly securing loads and the needed equipment?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Rory

Gravel Rat
02-09-2006, 01:42 PM
For what you are hauling you won't need anything heavier than 3/8s which is the common size for most equipment hauling. As for chin smashers you have two choices the toggle type which will rearrange your face if your not carefull and then there is the ratchet (screw) binders.

You can buy chain in bulk and make them to what ever length you want and add the hooks which for a trailer a grab hook on either end.

If your trailer is a deck over wheels and its high enough you can mount belt winches to your trailer and use the standard 4" load straps like they use on trucks. They are rated at 5000lbs each they are easy to work with and you don't run the risk of having pinched fingers and missing teeth using chains and cinches.

It is how the rental shop moves their mini excavators on the flatdeck two straps over the tracks and one over the bucket.

Chains are nice to have which you should have some on the trailer but for 90% of the machine moves the 4" load straps will work the best. The trailer will roll over with the machine before the straps break.