PDA

View Full Version : One man vs. 2 man crew

Crabtree
02-09-2006, 10:50 AM
I found that most all residential lawns can be done in less time with one man versus 2. Most of the time the weedeater man is ahead of the mower and weedeating more than he has to. Sometimes taking twice as long as it would were it done after mowing is finished. So, I have been running myself and one employee as one man crews since last year. On occasion we will double up on a couple of very large properties.
I have yards spread out all over, and a few times we happen to get on site the same time as a much larger company pulls up to a neighboring lawn.
My one man (or myself) can be done in 20 minutes average (9,000 sqft). It falls under the minimum $25 per visit. The 2 yards are comparable in size almost identical. The neighbor may have 1,200 more square feet or so, but not much more than that.
Anyway, big company pulls up and 4 guys get out, all Hispanic. Two guys on riders, one guy with a stick edger (which is a worthless piece of equipment IMO), and one man with a weedeater. I stuck around one day and ate a little lunch. It took 4 of them 30 minutes to finish! That's 2 man hours labor compared to my 25 minutes max! I don't try to hurry up and get done faster just for spite, it's an easy yard.
My Question:
You guys with Hispanic help, are man hours even a factor on your properties?
Or are you paying them so little that 2 of them make one man hour? Or is there an "Hispanic man hour"? I don't get it. There are so many of them on so many properties doing sub par work and people are paying for it!
The medium size companies seem to want to follow suit. I've seen them with 3 or four man crews (not all Hispanic), but there would be one guy with a blower running from the time the mower comes off the truck until it was back on!
From the posts I've read on LawnSite, most big guys are charging $1 a minute, or at least trying to. From what I've seen, that would make for some expensive residential lawn mowing...

Gatewayuser
02-09-2006, 10:58 AM
I was going to run 2 2 men crews but I did analyze it before and even tried it out and it took almost the same amount of time if not more. The only time it makes sense is on my cemetery day which takes 2 people all day. What I am going to do is send 1 person and truck to do lawn treatments 1 or 2 1 men to mow and 1 2 men to landscape.

cleancutccl
02-09-2006, 11:12 AM
if you take the time to train your people correctly you will speed up your times. I run 2 guys on the mowing crew. One mows, the other weedeats, trims and blows off afterward. By the time they are done mowing and load up the blowing is done and they are off. 7000 sq ft prop. took 35 minutes with one, with two it takes 25 minutes. Man hours are more than if one person was doing it, but you take that time over 25 yards a day and a one man crew will be crawling by the end of it.

Gatewayuser
02-09-2006, 11:15 AM
What I want to know is why does it take you 25mins to mow that little lot? I can mow trim and edge a 1 acre yard in 40mins max by myself.

Gatewayuser
02-09-2006, 11:19 AM
You need to look at employee cost a little closer because instead of taking 2 hours more which say could cost you $20 a day extra for one person, you are putting out $70 more a day or $350 per week for two. But if you took more jobs with the spare time you could make $1,000 more per week.

MarcSmith
02-09-2006, 11:26 AM
in florida I had a lot of 10-15K lots when i was runnintgeh crew I had one other person, except on days when I had to do my HOA.

I woudl start on the 52" lazer while my worker edged with a stick edger, ocne she was done edging she grabed the weedy. I had alreqady made my one pass around everything so she knew how far she needed to go, she started in the front Once I was done I grabbed the backpack blower and finished up.

we woudl rotate the tasks so that way one person woudl not get too overly tired.. if a client came out of the house to chitchat, my worker would finish up while i was chattin...

I the two of us could do a yard in about 15 minutes from truck stop to truck start.... one day we worked a normal 8 hour day and got 35 done. granted 10 of them were all side by side, but we were pounding the grass hard.

a one man crew could be worn out pretty easily IMO, especialy if you have severl house in a row or with no travel time between them.

Justcutitshort
02-09-2006, 12:00 PM
a one man crew could be worn out pretty easily IMO, especialy if you have severl house in a row or with no travel time between them.

fortunately it sounds like you are a person that has some actual experience on the subject.:rolleyes:
One man crews will get burned out quickly mowing day to day alone, not to include the physical burned out, too.
Two men crews can "Pace" the day and keep working from day to day.
If a take a crew man with me and we work the day, I find breaking during longer jobs, not counting drive time, keeps my worker and myself better focused and more productive.

CLC03
02-09-2006, 12:11 PM
I do not have a large abundance of properties(at this time), but I have several large commercial properties. I tried doing everything on my own and I was able to do, but I physically drained at the end of the day. I am also an educator and during the fall I had to hire someone. I found out that a 2 man crew is better than one. As mentioned earlier, if you hire hard workers and train them correctly, you will definitely see the benefits. I will always have a two man crew until I get enough business for three. A two man crew allows me more time with more important things like my family.:)

Justcutitshort
02-09-2006, 12:30 PM
A two man crew allows me more time with more important things like my family.:)

when you are grossing another $30 to $40 per hour using the helper, unless you are a greedy SOB, you can afford a comfortable pace that makes you and your worker/helper happy.

MarcSmith
02-09-2006, 12:54 PM
as a one man show, if you get even the least bit distracted by clients, or having to run down to pick up some parts, or service the eqiupment, it can really throw a wrench in your day.

At least if you have one person still working and you need to chit-chat, or run down the street, as a copmany, you are still being productive. 20 minutes of lost time by a one man band is one less yard you can cut that day....

I hated getting behind. even it it was only one or two yards, if you have a good route you can set your watch once you get in a groove, I have purposely made an improtu change in the route if I saw a client who happened to home, jsut to avoide the possibility of getting bogged down in chatter....or I try to schedule that lawn as the last one so if I do get caught, I done for the day and not behind on the cuts...

cntryboymc
02-09-2006, 01:30 PM
i have to disagree with the fact that one man does residential properties faster than two men.i have roughly 45 residential mowing accounts.most of them are in the $35-$45 range per mow.i usually run the dixie chopper,my helper weedwacks,and runs the blower.we average about 20 mins per lawn.i have done the lawns by myself before,it takes way too long,and you are totally burned out at the end of the day.i would rather pay to have a helper,rip the lawns off in a couple of days,and spend the rest of the week doing landscape maintenance and installs.thats just my two cents.you need to be making the money,not wasting time.

cklands
02-09-2006, 01:46 PM
IMO I feel that a 1 man crew is more efficient because there is no wasted tme. The guy gets to the lawn mows, trims and blows and then he is off to the next lawn. There is no chit chatting at the trailer talking about what they did last night etc. There is also no mowing a little slower so that the other guy has to do the trimming etc. With that said I run 2 man mowing crews. Each crew goes out with 2-3 mowers, 2 trimmers and blowers. Both guys cut, trim and blow off. This way everyone is working from start to finish. Most of the time my crews are pulling into a neighborhood and cutting anywhere from 3-6 homes at time. We also have quite a few condo's that are to large to do with just one guy. If I sent one man crews out they would be exhausted by noon and their productivity would go down. This is what works for me. Everyone has their own opinions and circumstances.

Precision
02-09-2006, 03:40 PM
IMO I feel that a 1 man crew is more efficient because there is no wasted tme.

Not in the sense that you are talking about, so long as you are the one man crew. If your worker is the one man crew, that person is completely unsupervised and gonna be ay less efficient than if they were with you.

No running by yourself, sure you don't lose the time of chatting with anyone, but how about the time you lose walking back to the truck to get each new piece of equipment. with a help, while he is switching from wacker to edger, you are still mowing so some production is happening.

Personally, I added about 65% capacity to my routes by adding a helper.

3 - 1 acre properties used to take 4 hours now takes about 1 hour 45 minutes (just one example)

cush
02-09-2006, 03:52 PM
If you run a two man crew and someone calls in sick you can at least get most of your rout done and can catch up the next day.

topsites
02-09-2006, 03:57 PM
What I want to know is why does it take you 25mins to mow that little lot? I can mow trim and edge a 1 acre yard in 40mins max by myself.

Because, if you've been reading, it appears most of the Lco's here enjoy cutting grass with 30-36 inch decks.

I been trying and trying to tell them, minimum 48" deck size, larger decks get the job done faster.

Back to the thread:
A 2 man crew should, if properly trained and the work-load distributed evenly, be able to finish a yard in about 1/3'rd the time it takes one person to do it. It has to do with too much bs to explain, but this has been my experience. If your 2 man crew can not do this, then it isn't worth it because there is no time gained going from house to house (driving), thus a yard has to be finished in less than half the time of what one person could do it in, to make up for the time lost driving (because double the labor driving).

cklands
02-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Not in the sense that you are talking about, so long as you are the one man crew. If your worker is the one man crew, that person is completely unsupervised and gonna be ay less efficient than if they were with you.

Not true. First off if you have the right people in place then it being unsupervised is not an issue. Scond of all we all at one time cut by ourselves which means you should know exactly how much that one guy can get done. I know how many sq ft can be cut during the course of a day. If that guy is not getting it done then either you did the estimate wrong or the employee is doing something wrong.

how about the time you lose walking back to the truck to get each new piece of equipment

Either way you have to back to the truck. When you are done mowing you have to go back to the truck. Now you go back and grab the trimmer, etc.

Personally, I added about 65% capacity to my routes by adding a helper.

I never said that you could get more lawns done with a one man crew than you cold with a two man. I just said that they are more efficient. I can tell you that if you can do 15 lawns a day by yourself, that you are not going to get 30 done with two people.

cleancutccl
02-09-2006, 04:52 PM
I think that people measure yards differently. I measure the GRASS, not the lot the house is on. For the 7000 sq ft prop i get 35 per cut, which at 25 minutes to cut, trim, EDGE with STEEL BLADE, and blow is roughly 80 an hour. Yes on residential accounts we usually use a 48 or a 36, because little old ladies don't like to see tanks on their yards. Either way you run a crew, 1 man or 2 men, just make sure you are pricing accordingly.

ProStreetCamaro
02-09-2006, 05:32 PM
I found that most all residential lawns can be done in less time with one man versus 2. Most of the time the weedeater man is ahead of the mower and weedeating more than he has to. Sometimes taking twice as long as it would were it done after mowing is finished. So, I have been running myself and one employee as one man crews since last year. On occasion we will double up on a couple of very large properties.
I have yards spread out all over, and a few times we happen to get on site the same time as a much larger company pulls up to a neighboring lawn.
My one man (or myself) can be done in 20 minutes average (9,000 sqft). It falls under the minimum $25 per visit. The 2 yards are comparable in size almost identical. The neighbor may have 1,200 more square feet or so, but not much more than that.
Anyway, big company pulls up and 4 guys get out, all Hispanic. Two guys on riders, one guy with a stick edger (which is a worthless piece of equipment IMO), and one man with a weedeater. I stuck around one day and ate a little lunch. It took 4 of them 30 minutes to finish! That's 2 man hours labor compared to my 25 minutes max! I don't try to hurry up and get done faster just for spite, it's an easy yard.
My Question:
You guys with Hispanic help, are man hours even a factor on your properties?
Or are you paying them so little that 2 of them make one man hour? Or is there an "Hispanic man hour"? I don't get it. There are so many of them on so many properties doing sub par work and people are paying for it!
The medium size companies seem to want to follow suit. I've seen them with 3 or four man crews (not all Hispanic), but there would be one guy with a blower running from the time the mower comes off the truck until it was back on!
From the posts I've read on LawnSite, most big guys are charging $1 a minute, or at least trying to. From what I've seen, that would make for some expensive residential lawn mowing...

I am sorry to tell you but you must be working in low gear for it to take you 20 minutes to cut trim blow and go on a 9,000 sqft lawn. It takes me by myself 25 minutes to cut, trim, blow and go on a 1 1/2 acre lawn. That is with a 48" Lazer HP. On a 9,000 sqft lawn my father and I can cut, trim, blow and go in 12 minutes pretty easily. We try and get $1.50 per minute. sometimes it works out that way and sometimes it doesnt. Our equipment consists of a 48" Lazer Z HP, 34" Gravely 34Z, 36" scag WB for hills only, 2 echo trimemrs, 2 stick edgers, 2 echo backpack blowers.

Here is the 1 1/2 acre lawn I just mentioned. What you see there is only a small portion of that lawn.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/50a425bc.jpg

topcat
02-09-2006, 08:02 PM
I find it real hard to believe that one person can mow, trim and blow an acre and half size lot in 25 minutes especially with biggest deck only 48".... I would like to see that!!!!!!

jtkplc
02-09-2006, 08:30 PM
I find it real hard to believe that one person can mow, trim and blow an acre and half size lot in 25 minutes especially with biggest deck only 48".... I would like to see that!!!!!!

Yeah, that seems like a stretch to me. I've done, in the past, an acre lot in about 35 minutes with my Gravely 260Z, mow, trim, and blow in somewhat of a dry part of the season, as I recall.

Crabtree
02-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Camaro,
if you and your father can do a 9000 in 12 minutes, you just spent 24 man minutes on it.
I would rather a man stay on a small yard 20 minutes and make sure it looks good. We aren't about "rip and go".
Hey if you can cut 1 1/2 acres (which is around 65,000 sq ft) in 25 minutes go right ahead, you rock. But I kinda think you better measure that yard. I run a 52" Lazer Z HP with 23 Kawasaki that I don't think could mow 3+ acres an hour, much less a 48".

My main question is about man hours--
If you give an estimate and figure it takes 5 minutes to weedeat and blow and 15 minutes to mow, then you figure 5 minutes from last lawn, you have a total of 25 minutes involved.
You charge $50 and hour. You have a $25 minimum. They agree to pay $25.
Really sounds fair to me.
2 men will still take 5 minutes to get there, then both of them will be there 20minutes. They just spent 50 minutes to complete the task.
Depending on the route, one man can complete a list of 15-18 yards with about 1-1.5 hours of drive all day. With a 2 man crew, they may get 3 more yards done in a day and my drive time just doubled.
The 3 extra yards might be enough to pay the extra man's salary for the day, but my per man hour rate is not what I would expect.
I do understand the fatigue factor, I've been affected by it numerous times.
Do you just eat the extra labor? Or do you charge full price for it? Would you pay someone $40 or more to mow your 9,000 sq ft lawn? (<~~And that's actual lawn area, not lot size)

Mountain Peak
02-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Hmmm. My theory may not work with all of you really seasoned guys, but I look at it this way.
I run two man crews. depending on the yard, both men mow and them both men edge. As one man sees he's getting close to being done mowing he goes and loads his mower and grabs two trimmers. He sets one down outside the trailer and starts trimming. When the second mower gets done he loads his mower and grabs the second trimmer

One man takes so long to cut the yard with a mower. Two men mowing will cut the mowing time in half (sometimes)

One man takes so long to trim. Two men trimming will cut the trimming time in half (sometimes)

This theory doesn't work with every yard, but on my larger properties it seems to work pretty good. Some of the guys will even strap on the blowers while they are trimming to cut down on going back to the truck a second time.

This all works in theory. When you get a couple of guys that really "get it" they do some great work really fast.

get r done
02-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Two man crews work great for me on residential properties. It takes about the same time to trim, edge, and blow off as it does to mow the property with a 48" hrdro walk behind. We can get in and out of there in 15-20 min.

mulcahy mowing
02-09-2006, 09:30 PM
I think that people measure yards differently. I measure the GRASS, not the lot the house is on. For the 7000 sq ft prop i get 35 per cut, which at 25 minutes to cut, trim, EDGE with STEEL BLADE, and blow is roughly 80 an hour. Yes on residential accounts we usually use a 48 or a 36, because little old ladies don't like to see tanks on their yards. Either way you run a crew, 1 man or 2 men, just make sure you are pricing accordingly.
well saidpayup :drinkup:

willretire@40
02-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Well how many of you one man crews are making so serious money. I am going to 3 man crews this year and they have to cut 40 yards a day at 10,000 sq ft all within a 3 mile radius. I need to make so serious money 200 yards a week at $31 each

200x31= $6200 a week

should be able to make $13 a yard after expenses except my salary

$13x200=2600x30weeks =$78000

Now can a one man crew do that NO maybe after expenses $1200

Crabtree
02-09-2006, 11:08 PM
when you have a large amount small lawns side by side or at least very close together, I figure you can consider them as a very large property. In that case, the more man power the better. But add 5-10 minute drive times between every few yards and it really adds up.
Also having 2 mowers makes much more sense for 2 man crews if the guys have a good routine.
I appreciate all the good input here, looks like I need another mower in the mix. I'm trying to control growth and not take on more than I can handle until I can find the right help.
As for serious money, I don't know, you tell me...
2005:
my 2 one-man crews made $130,000 (not counting cash payments)
and spent (including helpers salary) $64,000 on all business expenses
which left me with $66,000 (which has magically all disappeared..)
I didn't work in the field everyday, went home when I felt like it, paced my self, & made a point NOT to stress on stuff too much.

Not being a wiseguy. I really want to know. Does that sound pretty good for 2 guys?

Turfcutters Plus
02-11-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm amazed at some of the pointless chatter on this sight.What i mean is,this is'nt rocket science!Of course 2 guys is more efficient for bigger properties.I aim for postage stamps because i'm solo.Yes,it's a waste for 2 guys on a small property.I see guys standing around all the time!But they could be needed for the next job,the small job being enroute.I've done big jobs with and without help,and i hated both.I was born to be a solo flyer i guess,and i'm happy.Bigger mow jobs around here don't pay due to the market.

Likestomow
02-11-2006, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=ProStreetCamaro]...It takes me by myself 25 minutes to cut, trim, blow and go on a 1 1/2 acre lawn...[QUOTE]

It is statements like this that shows a person's ignorance. The property may be 1.5 acres, but you can't count the one acre of woods!

Justcutitshort
02-11-2006, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=Turfcutters Plus]I'm amazed at some of the pointless chatter on this sight.What i mean is,this is'nt rocket science!Of course 2 guys is more efficient for bigger properties.QUOTE]

At face value, 2 men cannot as "efficient" as 1, considering loading/unloading and drive time. What you may be saying is 2 men are more practical, sensible and better for the "long haul"..........ANd that has already been said, two..

MarcSmith
02-11-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm amazed at some of the pointless chatter on this sight.

if you don't like then leave. alot of this "pointless" chatter is just a bunch a guys sitting around drinking beer and shooting the sh it No different than when you go to a bar with your bud and hang out and chat...

You havemade up yourmind to stay solo. great...your income will be limited to the hours you can or are willing to work and if you are fine with that then great. Others strive to make more money and expand thier market and see what else they can do in regards to running a business. Some don't want to stay behind a mower their whole life, I know I didn't. I enjoy being a blue collar desk jockey. WhenI feel like it I can get out play with the toys and help train my people, or, on a day like to day when its 35, and raining waiting for the snow to fall, I'm inside staying cozy. Keeping up on teh weather and play the waiting game...

Shawns Lawns
02-12-2006, 10:41 AM
i noticed that when i used another man for the day i only cut my time minimaly but i cut my exhaustion immensely.weightlifter

Precision
02-12-2006, 10:53 AM
if you don't like then leave. alot of this "pointless" chatter is just a bunch a guys sitting around drinking beer and shooting the sh it No different than when you go to a bar with your bud and hang out and chat...

You havemade up yourmind to stay solo. great...your income will be limited to the hours you can or are willing to work and if you are fine with that then great. Others strive to make more money and expand thier market and see what else they can do in regards to running a business. Some don't want to stay behind a mower their whole life, I know I didn't. I enjoy being a blue collar desk jockey. WhenI feel like it I can get out play with the toys and help train my people, or, on a day like to day when its 35, and raining waiting for the snow to fall, I'm inside staying cozy. Keeping up on teh weather and play the waiting game...

Amen.

said by someone who has a clue. Thank you.

Employees are a pain. No question there. but much less of a pain then getting hurt and losing your entire business.

Think about it solo people. break your leg, move to welfare.

4seasonslawn
02-12-2006, 11:11 AM
I run a crew of three 1 woman /2 men. Can't beat a team like mine. For my little old lady/men. I use John Dreere 42/ bagger.They don't like anything else.All other residential/commercial my Gravely. For lot clearing bush hog.Being a female owner in a man world and having fun. Plus making money. you got to have team to do it right.Everybody knows what there doing and why then the job is done and moving on to the next.

Sharp Services
02-12-2006, 11:26 AM
For the most part I am solo and part time. Luckily I have several sons and use them when I need to. I have found that I only get about 25% more work done with the extra person, but I am not as tired at the end of the day and I have had a better time (fun) while working. When I go full time I will defiantly run a two man crew ... hopefully several of them. I don't think they are all that much faster, but it will help with the following:

1. Fatigue
2. Employee retention
3. Cover properties when someone is sick
4. Allow me to have family time and still have a good income when I am older

Just my 2 cents worth,

Loved reading this thread ...

Flex-Deck
02-12-2006, 12:08 PM
I do not have a large abundance of properties(at this time), but I have several large commercial properties. I tried doing everything on my own and I was able to do, but I physically drained at the end of the day. I am also an educator and during the fall I had to hire someone. I found out that a 2 man crew is better than one. As mentioned earlier, if you hire hard workers and train them correctly, you will definitely see the benefits. I will always have a two man crew until I get enough business for three. A two man crew allows me more time with more important things like my family.:)

That is where I am at. Have some very large commercials, and at this point in time, my wife and I can handle them part time. If we get behind, due to whatever, I have a retired person that loves to mow, and I put him on the backup 455. When that happens, it is really nice. My commercials are 20, 23, and 38 acres, and when they get to be that size, three is really nice also.

For instance, If I tackle the 20 acre (Lots of curbs and trees,), it takes me about 5 hrs. (I run the very wide mower-114") to run the curbs, and mow. With 2 of us it is 3.25 hrs.(Wifes mower is only 78"). With 3 of us it is 2.25 hrs. (Me, my wife, and the backup - 72" mower)

Keep in mind there is 1 mile of curbing, that I set my trim part of my mower down low, and run it down the curbs, and it does the trimming as I do the outside round, but it requires going a bit slower than the peddle to the metal open mowing. Takes about 45 minutes for me to run the curbs, and stop now and then to trim that 1/2 inch of grass around the light poles, or whatever.

Crabtree
02-12-2006, 07:06 PM
So should properties be bid assuming one man or 2?
If 2, then the solo guys would come in with cheaper bids,
or you could use a sliding scale like this:
1 man crew $50/man hour ( 5 hour job = $250)
2 man crew $40/man hour (3.25 hour job x 2 = 6.5 man hours = $260)

Or should you price according to what you pay the employee?
Maybe I've overthought this....

twj721
02-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Most of the properties we take care of are a min of 1 hr per man that is the small one we have one piece of property that we do and it is about 3 .0 hrs of nothing but 1 man weedeating and 1 hr of picking trash up the other person is mowing for about 4.0 hrs I tried doing this by myself and found out right quick that it was too much for one person I got in a bind last year and my oldest son had been buggig me about helping as he neded some money so I told him that he could help me with this property now when he ask me for money and I mention the city park he quickly changes his mind about how bad he needs the money he will help on anything else but not the city park LOL

E-Z Green
02-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Hook him up!

YardPro
02-12-2006, 10:28 PM
lol,.. crabtree....
your thinking will keep you small.....here's why...
these numbers are based on when i went full time with my buisness straight out of college..13 years ago

i could mow 12 yards per day... ( then $20-25.00/yard).. I had 55 properties.
this brought in $1237.50 a week. after expenses i kept about $900.00 per week.

I grew very fast (too fast
when i added a helper we were only doing 20 yards per day (should have been 24 if we had 100% efficency).

this brought in $2025.00 per week. subtract my employee's salary, ($320.00/week then). and expenses, and i kept $1400.00/week...

it seemed that we were not as efficent, and we were not, BUT i STILL NETTED MORE MONEY PER WEEK, by me working the same number of hours...

this is a basic business principal of multiplication of hours..
my expenses increased very little... same truck and insurance, so no more money there, a little more fuel etc, but those are minor expenses...

now there is a point where the law of diminishing returns kicks in... but working solo is not it... it is just a sure way to be old, worn out and broke...

Evergreenpros
02-13-2006, 01:12 AM
It's about volume. Maybe they only make 20% on the job but they have many crews and do a lot of properties. If you're by yourself and you only made 20% profit you'd starve.

It might be wise to make even less in some situations. You have to look at your contribution margin and if you get a high volume job and you have the capacity to do it you're ok at 15% profit or less. That job will contribute 20k or more to insurance, office lease/buy, office help, advertising thus increasing your contribution margin and raising your overall profit for the other jobs.

MarcSmith
02-13-2006, 05:56 AM
So should properties be bid assuming one man or 2?
If 2, then the solo guys would come in with cheaper bids,
or you could use a sliding scale like this:
1 man crew $50/man hour ( 5 hour job = $250)
2 man crew $40/man hour (3.25 hour job x 2 = 6.5 man hours = $260)

Or should you price according to what you pay the employee?
Maybe I've overthought this....

your should quote by the Man Hour or by the job. and Make sure your quote involves a pricing schedule for laborers and leads. they are paid different rates so you should charge different rates.

I think the biggest 2 plusses are the exhaustion reduction, and the gain in efficiency. But If youre a solo and don't want to grow, then these would irrelevant... But if you are a solo and you get injured..that is something to think about....Even a minor injury can set you back. in this type of business, we use most of our main muscle groups so even a pulled muscle could send you packin....