PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on Red Hawk walk behind.....please...

palawnman
02-09-2006, 12:13 PM
I am in the market for a walk behind.....I just ran across a 48" Hydro Red Hawk. I just saw it briefly, it is a demo from last year. I am not familiar at all with Red Hawk, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some info about this walk bhin..good or bad. Also the price he gave me was for $2800. If you guys need any other info to give a better advice, let me know and I will call him and get more info. Thanks in advance.

Ron:dizzy:

grass_cuttin_fool
02-09-2006, 12:37 PM
There was a thread on this last week. A member here Bobby Gedd had one and only kept it a short time and sold it. Maybe do a search for redhawk mower and you can find the post

wayne

palawnman
02-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Found it, thanks....I guess its not great quality.

Ron

DUSTYCEDAR
02-09-2006, 12:50 PM
THEY r not the best to run for a long time hard on the hands

palawnman
02-09-2006, 01:25 PM
how is the quality?? Meaning will it hold up, or break right from the beginning? Its mainly going to be a backup, or at most a secondary mower on bigger properties. Its not something that I will be using on every lawn. I have a ZTR for that. I just want something for a backup w/o spending $5000. I was hoping to spend around $2000 for a used one, but I thought that maybe this would be a little better since it is basically new. Thanks for the info.

Ron

CLARK LAWN
02-09-2006, 04:17 PM
i bought one two summers ago from i guy i knew(he thought how easy it was to cut grass) he used it for 2 months i paid $1000 for it use it a back up and on a few lanws that are easier with 2 w/b than a w/b and ztr. has held up no problems other than a belt but that was first guys mistake . good mower for a back up or a few lawns

sikagrass
02-09-2006, 04:32 PM
I used to have a link, cant find it to a place called the smallenginewharehouse. If you were going to spend 2800 for a red hawk wb they have the bradley 48 for 1500.00-why not take a chance with one of those instead? Bradley is sold under several names unless Im wrong. Hope this helps.

palawnman
02-09-2006, 05:14 PM
thanks for the info guys, the thing that I really liked about it was that it was a hydro and basically new. I didnt think that it would get much better price wise for a hydro. I am going to keep looking around and I am actually going to call him back to see if that is the best price he can do. he did say that he would throw in the velke for an extra $100, he said that is normally $200. So for everything it would be $2900 plus tax. I dont know if there is much more room to move, but if I can get it for $2500 or $2600 I would be pretty happy. If I like it when I try it out. Thanks again!

Ron

Travis Followell
02-09-2006, 05:20 PM
I would not recommend one. They are made in China and they are a lot lower quality than any american made mower. Their just a waste of maney in my opinion. You would probibly spend more time working on it than you would mowing with it. They use american engines and transmissions but everything else is chinese.

mulcahy mowing
02-09-2006, 06:15 PM
But come on thats not a bad price, As we all know you get what you pay for

Richard Martin
02-09-2006, 06:25 PM
If you were going to spend 2800 for a red hawk wb they have the bradley 48 for 1500.00-why not take a chance with one of those instead?

Red Hawk, Bradley, The Landscaper, Black Rock. They're all the same mower with different names. There's a die plant in China that punches out the sheet metal parts like the frame and deck and ships them to various assemblers here is the US.

elshauno
02-10-2006, 03:11 AM
I have a Redhawk 48 belt drive. Ya its chinese but you got to start somewhere. Its almost identical to my friends SCAG w/b Sideby side you can hardly tell them apart. It stripes nice and has given me no problems. For a backup mower I can bet it will last several years with little problem as far as the hydralics go if they are also brand name you ll be alright. Good luck

palawnman
02-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Thanks for everyone's input, I definitely appreciate it.

Ron

lance1
02-10-2006, 07:17 AM
I have the 48" gear drive with 15hp Kohler. Just started mowing 25 accounts last April totaling 10+ acres per week. No problems with this mower. Peerless transmission is the same as the popular brands. Replace drive belt last Fall. Grips have loosened up over time or my grip has got stronger! Just follow the maintenance schedule, keep the deck clean and blades sharp and it will be a fine main mower, with a cut that will bring compliments from your customers. I have a Velke attached and it pulls me w/no problem. Go for it!

Jay Ray
02-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Does anyone know if the spindle bearings, wheel bearings, yoke bushings, etc. are standard and easily available, or are they metric and difficult to find?

khutch
02-11-2006, 10:12 AM
As a primary mower, no way IMO.
Back-up, maybe...
Down time for repairs = $$$$
Dealer support???
Resale value I would think would be next to zero.
But if ya gotta make a buck and do not have the start up costs???.....Do what you have to do.