02-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Here the pic's of the mini's

ToroLandscaper
02-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Do you own that Kumotsu (sp?) in the back ground

qps
02-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Do you own that Kumotsu (sp?) in the back ground

Belongs to a friend on my who let me use it knock a house over with:p ..the house didn't have a chance.! PC200 I think is the model...

Stroker
02-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Very Nice! What kind of work do you do?

CutRight
02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
heres my toy, its supposed to be the same size as that tekeuchi

Gravel Rat
02-09-2006, 07:42 PM
I don't think I would own a open cab excavator even in the summer time the full cab excavators are nicer as they keep the dust away from you.

Here on the West Coast (Pacific Northwest) where we get alot of rain some times it falls vertical but it does fall horizontal when the wind blows and open cab machines you get soaking wet.

We don't have much cold weather but closing the windows and doors and turning on the heater is nice.

CutRight
02-09-2006, 08:20 PM
i really havent minded it so far, even workin outside in the winter. I'm not going to be digging in pouring rain or during the dead of winter so I think i'll be alright. $5000 difference for the enclosed cab, so for my needs i think it was a justified $5000 savings.

qps
02-09-2006, 09:36 PM
heres my toy, its supposed to be the same size as that tekeuchi

That's a nice Mini, but I gotta agree with Gravel Rat, enclosed cab is the only way to go, few more jobs and its paid for....

Gravel Rat
02-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Most excavators sold here come with enclosed cabs as machines work all year round. I don't think the cab option is that much extra on a machine sold here.

CutRight
02-09-2006, 10:39 PM
hey its my first big toy, im 20 years old, im damn proud of it, gets the job done for me. the dealer did tell me that im only of a few that bought it with an open cab. ill agree with you there. but hey, cmon.

Scag48
02-09-2006, 11:40 PM
I'm with ya man, unless you work year round, a cab isn't necessary. I would LOVE to have one, but with the cab + A/C (A/C is a must out here with a cab) it was $8K for our 303, very ridiculous. Next time I'll just buy a 312, heating and A/C is standard. :drinkup:

gammon landscaping
02-10-2006, 12:10 AM
i help dad in my slow time we has 3 loaders 2 with cabs, a backhoe with cab and a 312 cab of couarse and my 236 no cab. i run all of these machines and i prefer no cab, i will admit that to day i was pretty cold but a dozen or so days in the winter when it is dry enough to work my carhart bibs do fine. but in the summer when it is 100 out and i am in a loader cab with no air ......well makes me want to knock out some windows. even our backhoe has air but it didn't keep it that cool when it was new

ksss
02-10-2006, 12:12 AM
I'll never buy another open ROPS excavator again. Maybe I am getting older and not willing to put up with being uncomfortable or I am getting smarter. It is a pain to get in and out of a cab equipped mini. Freezing your ass off in cold or rain sucks also sucks.

Gravel Rat
02-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Cut Right we are not saying you made a mistake you made a good choice buying the Kubota the 161 is one of the better machines you can get.

qps
02-10-2006, 07:33 AM
hey its my first big toy, im 20 years old, im damn proud of it, gets the job done for me. the dealer did tell me that im only of a few that bought it with an open cab. ill agree with you there. but hey, cmon.

No...you did great...it's just us old guys like to take it easy:p

Squizzy246B
02-10-2006, 08:58 AM
When we were ordering a new Ex the boys were all for the full cab but I talked them out of it (says he who just went into hock for another machine with a cab and A/C). Anyway, back to the mini-Ex. We wanted it mainly for the restricted access work. The bloody useless garages they are building now almost take my head off walking under the roller door. And the blocks are so small, and the houses big, often the only access to the backyard is through the garage. With the open cab 4 bolts and we are in...put the bolts back in and we can work away safe. A HUGE consideration for us and in the end everybody agreed, no full cab...just wont find me driving the sucker when its pouring down....

Squizzman - Supervisor, 248B and KX 161 operator :rolleyes: :p ...not 301.8's

Horses for courses really

Squizzy246B
02-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Tim, Both nice looking machines. The cab on the takeyourhoochie does look a bit bigger. Also good to see they have beefed up the main boom knuckle on the turntable. What donk is the hoochie running?.

How does the warranty and parts stuff stack-up between the two machines.

I like the look of the seat in the Hoochie although I am constantly amazed at how comfortable those bloody Cat seats are after a long day in the saddle...real basic looking things but they work. Come to think of it Cat would be still fitting a steel pan with slots in it if the asian machines hadn't raised the comfort bar.

qps
02-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Tim, Both nice looking machines. The cab on the takeyourhoochie does look a bit bigger. Also good to see they have beefed up the main boom knuckle on the turntable. What donk is the hoochie running?.

How does the warranty and parts stuff stack-up between the two machines.

I like the look of the seat in the Hoochie although I am constantly amazed at how comfortable those bloody Cat seats are after a long day in the saddle...real basic looking things but they work. Come to think of it Cat would be still fitting a steel pan with slots in it if the asian machines hadn't raised the comfort bar.

Well Squizz you got me....what's a donk??? I went to the austrialian slang website and it's not under the "D's"...donker is but I hope that's not what you meant:p If its engine (donk) a yanmar 37.5hp. seat was a highback full suspension..(comfortable)

ksss
02-10-2006, 11:20 AM
The high back seats in the Takeuchi are comfortable. I wish I had the luxury of not working in bad weather. It was below zero last night and is supposed to get up to 20 degrees today for a high temp. I have water and sewer lines to put in today. I will be in my "Carhart cab". I think a Donk is meaning dollars?

CutRight
02-10-2006, 03:12 PM
i like the takeuchis. Another guy near me has a couple of them. It seems to me that when it comes to the smaller machines, the foreign brands have a little more ingenuity. How do you like the offset on the boom of the Takeuchi, seems to me like a good design, and can really tuck that boom in. How is it operating wise?

qps
02-10-2006, 04:31 PM
i like the takeuchis. Another guy near me has a couple of them. It seems to me that when it comes to the smaller machines, the foreign brands have a little more ingenuity. How do you like the offset on the boom of the Takeuchi, seems to me like a good design, and can really tuck that boom in. How is it operating wise?

I gotta honestly say I like the way it performed over the cat, I'm going to try a TB53R with the side shifting boom next week, the TK is more money that the cat and the new model 304 isn't out yet, so I want to take a look at it also.

Squizzy246B
02-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Donk = Engine :) :)

Scag48
02-10-2006, 05:34 PM
The Takeuchi high back seats are excellent, I wish Cat would put them in their smaller machines. I can withstand a full day on our 303 with the the lowback seat, but a full day in a 312 with a highback seat is much easier going.

ksss
02-10-2006, 09:57 PM
I think the CAT is a size smaller (7.500) than the 145 TK (10,000). Once qps runs the 53 with the side shift boom he'll be sold. However they don't give them away. The 53 is another 2K heavier but more versatile and close to the same money. Had I realized how much more work I would be doing since I've owned the TK I would have gotten the cab. With my other mini I would be done in Dec. and start in Mar. Now I am working all year. Amazing what another 5 thousand pounds of machine can do, especially in a zero swing/zero tail machine.

qps
02-10-2006, 11:18 PM
I think the CAT is a size smaller (7.500) than the 145 TK (10,000). Once qps runs the 53 with the side shift boom he'll be sold. However they don't give them away. The 53 is another 2K heavier but more versatile and close to the same money. Had I realized how much more work I would be doing since I've owned the TK I would have gotten the cab. With my other mini I would be done in Dec. and start in Mar. Now I am working all year. Amazing what another 5 thousand pounds of machine can do, especially in a zero swing/zero tail machine.

Picked up the 145 and dropped off the 53 this evening, I'll have it all weekend.:drinkup:

Squizzy246B
02-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Well!..come on...wheres the piccies...don't be shy...tell us all about it!.

Scag48
02-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Ah, forget them both, I'll take that older PC200 :drinkup: Actually, I really think you should go with the Takeuchi if the dealer support is there. I wish Cat would bring back the 304.5, that machine was a hoss. Maybe even a 305.5, that would be even better, Cat needs a 14K pound machine.

And I'm with Squizzy, where are the pics?!?

qps
02-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Well, this is getting interesting...the TB53 digs like nothing else, I know its heavier than anything else I tried...but this is going to be tough...The new 304CCR has higher specs and some other changes so I'm going to wait until they arrive a try it, out of respect to my Cat salesman, also the Takeuchi's are more money, so its alot to considerhammer ...check out these pics

Scag48
02-12-2006, 04:22 PM
I'll take the TB53 off your hands. It is an innovative machine, that's for sure. Definately a versatile piece.

Gravel Rat
02-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I never seen a excavator like that I guess that side shifting system would be good for some uses. With the boom healing that far back I can see alot of broken windows in the future for that machine.

Just got to remember more pivot points and hydraulic cylinders etc means more things to wear out and cause extra repair bills. When that machine gets older and you get blown hydraulic lines on that side shifting feature you prolly have to rip the whole machine apart to get to them. And judging by how tight the rear radius is on that machine I would hate to be the one that has to work on the engine.

qps
02-12-2006, 05:03 PM
I never seen a excavator like that I guess that side shifting system would be good for some uses. With the boom healing that far back I can see alot of broken windows in the future for that machine.

Just got to remember more pivot points and hydraulic cylinders etc means more things to wear out and cause extra repair bills. When that machine gets older and you get blown hydraulic lines on that side shifting feature you prolly have to rip the whole machine apart to get to them. And judging by how tight the rear radius is on that machine I would hate to be the one that has to work on the engine.

It has a lockout that keeps that very thing from happening....yeah so tight nowhere to put a/c in it...cab with heat but no a/c...

ksss
02-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Gravel rat actually the whole cab tips up you have complete access to the entire engine, pumps etc. With the lock out in the cab if you hit the cab with the bucket you had to work at it. It can be set for different sized buckets. I have a just under a 1000 hours on mine and have only had 1 warranty item and that was on the Yanmar engine. There are a lot of zerks but the machine is soo versatile that I don't mind buying grease. Although also bought a battery operated grease gun:laugh:

Scag48
02-12-2006, 07:30 PM
There's really not that much more going on with the side shifting boom vs. a standard mini boom, a little more, but the versatility more than makes up for the maintenance/cost. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. That's a bummer about no A/C, if you have a cab, you HAVE to get A/C or you'll fry in the summer. Opening the door and sliding up the glass still doesn't get quite enough ventilation in the cab for my liking when it's 85+ degrees.

qps
02-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Gravel rat actually the whole cab tips up you have complete access to the entire engine, pumps etc. With the lock out in the cab if you hit the cab with the bucket you had to work at it. It can be set for different sized buckets. I have a just under a 1000 hours on mine and have only had 1 warranty item and that was on the Yanmar engine. There are a lot of zerks but the machine is soo versatile that I don't mind buying grease. Although also bought a battery operated grease gun:laugh:

does your have the disconnect lever under the seat??? I must have bumped it off last night, I liked to never figure out how to start it this morning;)

Gravel Rat
02-12-2006, 09:49 PM
It must get hotter where you are Scag compared to what it gets here the warmest it got last summer here was around 26 celcius or 78 farenhiet. A fan beside or behind your head works good to keep you cool its all I had in the rubber tired backhoe I was running last summer.

I can see that side shift boom being good for trenching or digging along a house or anywhere you can't get centered over the hole you want to dig.

The nearest Takeuchi dealer for a person like myself or any contractors in this area is too far away 1000kms or 621 miles away.

qps
02-12-2006, 10:11 PM
It must get hotter where you are Scag compared to what it gets here the warmest it got last summer here was around 26 celcius or 78 farenhiet. A fan beside or behind your head works good to keep you cool its all I had in the rubber tired backhoe I was running last summer.

I can see that side shift boom being good for trenching or digging along a house or anywhere you can't get centered over the hole you want to dig.

The nearest Takeuchi dealer for a person like myself or any contractors in this area is too far away 1000kms or 621 miles away.

It get hot here too...sometimes 90-95 with heat index higher.....that's exactly how I was digging with it...(trench) and shifting the knuckle at will was nice.

Squizzy246B
02-12-2006, 11:34 PM
I haven't looked at the specs but surely you would have to compare that to a KX 161, a 304 isn't in the same league...whats your Kubota dealer like?

To be honest I really really could have used that machine about 2 hours ago. We were ripping out verge area in front of shops for landscaping, without damaging the paved footpath. Bloody poles, signs, trees you name it. We started at 4.oo am to try and beat the woodducks but there is always a few come around. The 161 did it well, although very carefully, and a much smaller machine wouldn't have got it into our 9 tonne tipper. A bigger machine wouldn't have fitted. These size machines really have revolutionised the way we work these days. That boom would have been great to test.

It looks great, go ahead, let them Takeyourhooch:rolleyes:

ksss
02-12-2006, 11:47 PM
You can get A/C on them it just isn't from TK. My neighbor has two of them both with A/C. Suppossedly they are coming with factory A/C. I thought they had already done that but apparently not.

qps
02-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Maybe these pics show the side to side offset boom alittle better:) ..on a sad note...it won't fit on my trailer:cry:

ksss
02-13-2006, 08:14 PM
The trailer issue sucks. Nothing like considering a 58K purchase and then add the cost of a trailer at the same time.

Gravel Rat
02-13-2006, 08:20 PM
I imagine that machine must weigh around 10,000lbs plus so you will need a decent size trailer to drag it around. The best way to move mini excavators like that is in a rolloff truck drop the box drive it in strap in pull the box on and off you go. If you got a long driveway or a place where you have to walk the machine a long distance in a place where you can't turn a trailer around the rolloff truck is easy.

The rolloff truck doubles as your dump truck if you run a low side box.

qps
02-13-2006, 09:10 PM
The trailer issue sucks. Nothing like considering a 58K purchase and then add the cost of a trailer at the same time.

Yeah, I got a nice 14K trailer too...check out these pics..this thing has some grunt...
Hey Squizz...that white stuff is snow!!!

Dirty Water
02-13-2006, 09:12 PM
That bucket looks naked without a thumb.

qps
02-13-2006, 09:26 PM
That bucket looks naked without a thumb.

The quote I got was for a thumb and mech. coupler....
gravel rat...it weight in a around 12,500 lbs

ksss
02-13-2006, 10:20 PM
A note should you purchase it. With a QC the bucket will contact the hyd. cylinder guard when curled in (ask me how I know:nono: ). Without the QC and using the CP buckets your OK. Will the 304 CAT fit on the existing trailer?

Gravel Rat
02-13-2006, 10:22 PM
That is about the weight of a 161 Kubota you will be pushing you luck hauling it with one of those lighter equipment trailers with the tandem axles with single wheels and electric brakes.

In those pictures it looks like its too cold for me that ground is frozen sorry I would rather have soft wet ground and deal with the rain :laugh:

ksss
02-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Its not a big deal hauling it around. I bought a pull behind Towmaster 20' dovetail, electric brakes, tandem axle (17.5 tires, oil bath axles) and a GVW of 18K. It is an excellent trailer, very heavy duty and I still have 5K of capacity leftover. I can also put this machine on my gooseneck trailer with a 70XT (GVW of 24K) and pull both at the same time. It is a load but the 5500 handles it well.

Gravel Rat
02-13-2006, 11:36 PM
The trailers I mean are the lowboy car trailer types you usually see people haul minis with.

The trailers what the contractors here use is like the Trailking but one with a 25 ton rating.

The trailer in the link would be perfect for the 12,000lb mini size machines. A tilt trailer is nicer to have over a trailer with ramps. Unlatch the deck take the bucket push down the tail of the trailer walk on spin the house around and tuck the boom in and chain it down and latch the deck away you go.

www.trailking.com/images/products/tktilttrailer.jpg

ksss
02-14-2006, 01:05 AM
Why do you need a 25 ton trailer for a 12K machine? Also qps has an F450 what would be pull that with? Not to mention thats an airbrake trailer. That added with the fact that they cost about 20-25K. They have their place but unless your hauling a 710 or an excavator (200 size no less) thats way more trailer than needed for this task. Tilt decks are nice but I opted for a fold down ramp due to cost. They are spring loaded so its really not a big deal to fold them down.

Scag48
02-14-2006, 01:53 AM
Buying a 25 ton trailer to tow a 12K machine is ridiculous. We have a 12K tiltbed, one of the best purchases we made last year. Loading on a deckover with ramps is no fun. Our 303 is the heaviest machine we put on the trailer and at 8K pounds and the trailer weights around 3K, we're just a little bit under the limit.

Squizzy246B
02-14-2006, 04:29 AM
Hey Squizz...that white stuff is snow!!!

I thought it was dust;)

Squizzy246B
02-14-2006, 04:35 AM
Hey Tim, I think you said once that your local Kubota dealer sucked like nothing on earth...but their machine should be quite a bit cheaper and its a good quality build. Thats if the side shifty slidey boom thingy isn't a big draw card for your use anyways. How does a 305 compere on price...while your going up in the world have you looked at a 988 or a PC 1000 latley:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:

qps
02-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Hey Tim, I think you said once that your local Kubota dealer sucked like nothing on earth...but their machine should be quite a bit cheaper and its a good quality build. Thats if the side shifty slidey boom thingy isn't a big draw card for your use anyways. How does a 305 compere on price...while your going up in the world have you looked at a 988 or a PC 1000 latley:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:

I haven't had any contact with the kubota people, I should check them out. a 305 = 64k:dizzy: ...I don't know what a 161 with all the options would cost...

CutRight
02-14-2006, 12:54 PM
the kubota 161-3 at my dealer in CT with all the options goes for around $53,000 i think. hyrdaulic thumb, cab, a/c heat, floating angle blade, auto idle system, all the bells and whistles. I got mine with everything except for the cab. after i received it the dealer called me telling i made a good decisions cause the prices went up by $3000 in 2006. so it may be more expensive now.

qps
02-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Why do you need a 25 ton trailer for a 12K machine? Also qps has an F450 what would be pull that with? Not to mention thats an airbrake trailer. That added with the fact that they cost about 20-25K. They have their place but unless your hauling a 710 or an excavator (200 size no less) thats way more trailer than needed for this task. Tilt decks are nice but I opted for a fold down ramp due to cost. They are spring loaded so its really not a big deal to fold them down.

Just got off the phone with salesman....found out that in Sept of 06 the 53 may have factory a/c....:cool2: gonna hold out and test the new 304 and if it doesn't measure up...takeyourhoouchie (squizz said it) here I come....

Gravel Rat
02-14-2006, 06:48 PM
A good used tilt trailer is cheap its why we use them here when your decending 10% grades you don't want a cheap trailer it should have air or vaccuum over juice. Also contractors here have 16 ton machines aswell so one trailer does all it doesn't matter if the machine is 6000lbs.

Most of the larger landscape contractors here are running single axle dump trucks with 35,000lb gvws and even into running tandem axle dumps.

Using P/U trucks to pull excavators really isn't a practice used here. Our roads are just too twisty and steep to be pulling heavy trailers with a P/U truck. You just wear out your P/U truck that costs 30-40 grand so its cheaper to run a bigger truck.

The 6000lb machine mark is about max size that gets moved around on a 12,000lb trailer. Anything bigger customer pays for a move in charge and move out charge. A 161 Kubota size machine makes 70-80 dollars per hour plus a move in charge depending on the job and the customer.

Most landscape jobs are done with a 11,000-12,000lb mini the only time a 6000lb mini is used is by a building contractor renting a machine trying to save money. What ends up happening is the contractor finds out it took double the time for them to-do the job with a potato patch digger than it would have had a excavation contractor with a 12,000lb machine.

We have wide open spaces to work if you need to get into someones back yard you build a road with the machine do the work. You need something with power to tear out rock or dig out tree stumps.

Most people want a rock walls built with 500-1000lb boulders or they want the land cleared so they can grow a lawn or just clean up the area. A 161 sized mini is also used alot for doing septic systems it replaces a rubber tired backhoe. Larger mini's work better on slopes as you have a better stance and more weight.

Most landscapers with excavators and dump trucks are excavation contractors what we call a true landscaper is a person that does hardscapes that are done by hand and planting etc. If you own a excavator the money is in doing excavating like digging basements and footing trenches and large hardscape jobs.

ksss
02-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Gravel Rat,
At the risk of sounding like a dick, I will explain a few things as I see them. When responding to a post, it is important to observe a few things before one starts typing. 1. Do I know anything at all about what this person who started the thread is talking about. 2. This is a big one: Look and see what this guy does for a living and WHERE he does it at. 3. Does my knowledge and experience apply to this situation. 4. You must acknowledge that your the only guy on this forum that works where you work. What you do up there and the conditons you work in only matter if it is applicable to the point being made. Your reasoning for recommending a 25 Ton trailer to qps and listing what you guys do up there as your reasoning is ridiculous. He lives in Indiana and has said nothing about moving to BC that I have read. The heaviest thing he would need to put on this trailer is a 12K excavator. He now would have a trailer with a remaining capacity of 19 tons unused. You must place yourself in their position and decide if your methods or equipment is applicable to their situation. Please realize your experience MAY NOT BE REVELENT TO THE THREAD AT HAND. Almost everyone that posts here is primarily a compact equipment owner/operator. Our primary dirt moving machines are Skid Steers/CTL and mini excavators. I realize that Hitachi 200 size excavators rule and that CAT sucks up there. None that post here regularily, live or work in BC, although I feel like I could move there and work like I have lived there all my life. Please read through your some of your posts and perhaps you can see what I mean. Again not trying to be rude, just trying to improve the quality of the forum. canada us flag :waving:

Gravel Rat
02-16-2006, 08:33 PM
I can't figure out how you guys can make it running small scale equipment when a homeowner can rent a skid steer or a 6000lb mini excavator. The rental rates for a 6000lb skid is around 250 dollars for the day and a 6000lb mini with thumb is 350.00 for the day.

When the local rental shops started to rent mini excavators and skid steers the contractors that used to run their business with 6000lb equipment couldn't compete. Everybody and their dog has a 6000lb mini excavator that they use to work on their property with. Most residential properties in my area are 1-5 acres.

The money making machines for a contractor around here is a 11,000lb to 32000lb excavators. A regular landscaper would never ever make a living with a skid steer or a mini smaller than a 161 Kubota.

The Takeuchi GPS is trying out the one with the side shifting boom teamed with a tandem axle gravel truck would easily have regular work. The excavator alone would make 600 dollars a day the dump truck would make 560 dollars for the day if it was 8 hours of hauling.

Some of the projects the landscapers work on have property value from 500,000 to couple million. The one project I worked on which was a new construction a summer house just one of them was a completed price of 2.5 million or so. I think the landscaping alone was 50,000 dollars.

Dirty Water
02-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Gravel, over here its not so much that the homeowners can't afford to rent their equipment, its that they would rather pay a professional to do it without screwing up.

Too bad they aren't that way in your area.

Scag48
02-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Yeah, $50,000 jobs, that's how we make money. 95% of the landscapers out here have ZERO equipment, so even us have an upper hand on the rest of the landscapers. With our somewhat small equipment we can compete with some of the smaller excavation guys as well. The largest excavator a contractor owns out here is a 200 size machine, THAT'S IT. There's one company that runs a couple Cat 330's, but they're on a much larger work scale.

The reason we make money with small equipment is because people COULD go rent, but they don't want to hassle with learning how to run the machine and they want the job done right. Same way they could go rent a 160 sized excavator and a dump truck for a day. You laugh, but they could do it and then even you would be out of business. But, luckily for all of us, most homeowners don't posess nor desire the ability to run equipment, creating a nice niche for us.

qps
02-16-2006, 09:23 PM
I can't figure out how you guys can make it running small scale equipment when a homeowner can rent a skid steer or a 6000lb mini excavator. The rental rates for a 6000lb skid is around 250 dollars for the day and a 6000lb mini with thumb is 350.00 for the day.

When the local rental shops started to rent mini excavators and skid steers the contractors that used to run their business with 6000lb equipment couldn't compete. Everybody and their dog has a 6000lb mini excavator that they use to work on their property with. Most residential properties in my area are 1-5 acres.

The money making machines for a contractor around here is a 11,000lb to 32000lb excavators. A regular landscaper would never ever make a living with a skid steer or a mini smaller than a 161 Kubota.

The Takeuchi GPS is trying out the one with the side shifting boom teamed with a tandem axle gravel truck would easily have regular work. The excavator alone would make 600 dollars a day the dump truck would make 560 dollars for the day if it was 8 hours of hauling.

Some of the projects the landscapers work on have property value from 500,000 to couple million. The one project I worked on which was a new construction a summer house just one of them was a completed price of 2.5 million or so. I think the landscaping alone was 50,000 dollars.

You make a couple of good points but like scag said, most homeowners don't want the hassle or risk of renting a piece of equipment, hauling it or having it delivered and then trying not to knock there house over, cut there power lines or bust there sewer pipes to do the job themselves....I don't know how much work one could get with a 6000lb machine, but I have seen some LCO's using them to install shrubs and small trees. ksss's points are most of us smaller companys with skidsteers and mini x would never have a need for a 25ton trailer with air brakes, theres just no market for it unless your a full blown excavating co. with dozers, backhoes and larger excavators, we have to remember this actually a lawnsite, maybe heavy equipment forum is alittle misleading...maybe we need an EARTHMOVING forum:drinkup:

coopers
02-16-2006, 10:30 PM
The last 3 posts are right, why would a homeowner want to hassle with something they know nothing about. I've seen homeowners rent our equipment and think they have the project handled (equipment from 121's to 200's, 580's whatever) but they first have to learn how to operate the machine, get used to it (which they won't become great at over the weekend) and then do the job. As we all know once you're experienced you can do things much quicker and still do a nice clean job at it. Homeowners can't, they end up having to rent the dumb machine again to finish what they did or fix what they did because they couldn't get it right the first time. Happens all the time. So, just because it's a job that requires those evil skidsteers doesn't mean grandma can relevel the yard and install french drains and everything works.

Blake
WA

P.S. Plus, the homeowners then end up paying more because they damaged our rental machine because they don't know the limits and their surroundings. But that's a whole different topic. :dizzy:

Gravel Rat
02-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Most homeowners will rent a skid steer the mini excavators are usually rented by building contractors. There is no rental places around here that will rent a machine larger than a 6000lb mini.

Like I said everybody and their dog has a mini excavator I bet out of the 2500 residents that just live in this community there is prolly 20 people have a mini for personal use. Some people in the area have 200 size machines for personal use.

qps
02-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Most homeowners will rent a skid steer the mini excavators are usually rented by building contractors. There is no rental places around here that will rent a machine larger than a 6000lb mini.

Like I said everybody and their dog has a mini excavator I bet out of the 2500 residents that just live in this community there is prolly 20 people have a mini for personal use. Some people in the area have 200 size machines for personal use.

Why would so many homeowners own mini's....do you guys live on the surface of the moon;) a 200 size just laying around to dig a hole in the yard to bury the dog crap...or maybe the wife:laugh:

coopers
02-17-2006, 12:09 AM
There's a very large differnce between BC's land and the amount of space inbetween each home and each town/city, than there is in WA or any state in the U.S. Different cultures.

Blake
WA

Squizzy246B
02-17-2006, 07:01 AM
See Tim, your nothing but a trouble maker:nono: :rolleyes: :dizzy: :laugh: :laugh:

qps
02-17-2006, 07:21 AM
See Tim, your nothing but a trouble maker:nono: :rolleyes: :dizzy: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah I'm a real clacker(been boning up on my aussie slang):cool2:

Squizzy246B
02-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Yeah I'm a real clacker(been boning up on my aussie slang):cool2:

Thats cracker Tim "Cracker"...your sitting on your clacker!;) :dizzy: :waving: :waving:

qps
02-17-2006, 07:50 AM
Thats cracker Tim "Cracker"...your sitting on your clacker!;) :dizzy: :waving: :waving:

You calling me a Cracker???;)

qps
02-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Thats cracker Tim "Cracker"...your sitting on your clacker!;) :dizzy: :waving: :waving:..

That's what I meant...I think...I'm a real butthole (clacker)...darn I was just trying to impress you Squizz:laugh:

Squizzy246B
02-17-2006, 10:42 AM
...roflmao:)

Scag48
02-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Don't you guys have work you COULD be doing? :) :D :drinkup:

qps
02-17-2006, 04:22 PM

I wish...we're starting back on March. 6th...I'm ready....Hey shouldn't you be doing homework or somethingheadphones

Gravel Rat
02-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Most rural residential properties are are usually minimum 1 acre in the subdivisions the properties are a little smaller. The properties that are not in subdivisions are only developed for a house site. Then the homeowner usually does the rest of the clearing and landscaping either by hand or they buy a mini.

This community is made up of building contractors,loggers,gravel miners,fishermen,mechanics etc so going out and buying a mini excavator is not a big deal. Buy the machine develop and do what you want to-do and sell the machine or keep it and do your friends property.

The guys with 200 sized machines have acreage where they are developing it or mining the gravel off of it and selling it to the excavation contractors. When you have say 40 acres of forested land you log it and sell the wood and develop the property and subdivide it into 1 to 5 acre lots.

There are guys that will spend 15-20 grand for a mini excavator just to putter around the back yard with. Heck the machine maybe may get 100 hours a year but its a hobby for some people gets them away from the wife for a couple hours :laugh:

On the West Coast of B.C. your dealing with people in the resource industries operating equipment is no big deal. The only place you really find high concentration of office type people that really don't get their hands dirty is large cities like Vancouver.

Most places around here you have enough room to walk a 450LC John Deere around the back yard.

Its why I said we class landscapers as people that do the landscape design and installation.

Most residents around here consider a mini excavator a EX-60 size machine the guys with the 11-12,000lb machines do the smaller jobs. Its really the smallest machine you need.

Squizzy246B
02-18-2006, 05:24 AM

Yes! but......its not as much fun....well...the demolition we did yesterday was fun...only wrecked one hydraulic hose on the 4 in 1, punctured 1 tyre but its repairable, had a brick bounce off the front door. The brick was weird...it was sort of like slo-mo coming towards me and I knew a few weeks earlier it would have really hurt but because o the door I just sat there watching it come tumbling through the air and bounce off the screen!...very strange. Got some scratches on the new machine....got some invoicing to do....write up so quotes...go haggle with the wall engineer cause I'm not happy with the design...got to rattle the cage of a builder who is late paying...surprise surprise....Need a formal letter of introduction sent to the Water Board, got to study some plans...lady up the road owes me some $$$ too......there's work to do on the trailer...starting a big job on Monday with both machines and they need servicing...and the 301.8 is in customs clearance...have to pick that up this week after its been to Cat...............all manner of other things need doing but..Its SATURDAY evening..I've had two beers and massive T-Bone steak....so actually NO there is nothing I'd rather be doing than wasting...err...enjoying my time on lawnsite:laugh:

Scag48
02-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah, yesterday was Friday and I figured there was nothing I'd rather do than go cruise the net, who does homework on Friday?!

Dirty Water
02-18-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm guilty of taking off after about 6 hours on fridays quite often.

Just so hard not to think of a nice cold beer and relaxing over the weekend.

Scag48
02-18-2006, 06:10 PM
I have school 5 days a week and I work on the weekends so I don't get much time off. I have a very lame life now that I'm in college.

qps
02-19-2006, 08:59 AM
...roflmao:)

Look like your "Full"....been looking at the aussie slang website again....:drinkup:

Squizzy246B
02-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Look like your "Full"....been looking at the aussie slang website again....:drinkup:

"Full as a Boot"...that was when I lived in Cairns, Queensland, had to see out a Cyclone with only a bottle of rum for support!:drinkup: