PDA

View Full Version : Who sends a new agreement out Every year

Jpocket
02-09-2006, 03:14 PM
I've been looking at the thread about AUTO-Renew contracts, and it's go me thinking. I'm all set up to send out 2006 Agreements to Residential customers.

I just can't see Sending my customers a letter telling tham I'll be there the 2nd wk in April. I like the idea of auto renew but it makes me feel better to have 45 out of 60 contracts in my hands, and them spend the next 2 wks calling the customers who I havn't heard from just to make sure.

What if they planned on switching and throw my letter out then hire someone else. Meanwhile I show up and cut to weeks in a row and don't get paid?

Someone please tell they still send contracts out every year, im beginning to feel like Im doing things "The old fashioned way". I know alot of guys still do it this way.:rolleyes:

Edgewater
02-09-2006, 03:17 PM
I agree, I have them sign every year. That way no well yeah you have cut is 4 times, but I didn't ask you to.

Also, it is a good time to upsell.

jt5019
02-09-2006, 03:24 PM
I send a auto renew letter out and i state if you do not want our services please call to cancel. So far nobody has.

lawnguyland
02-09-2006, 05:45 PM
I sent out my new yearly contracts already for existing customers. I do it every year. First off, it's required to have contracts for lawn care applications with dates of apps, etc, etc, etc. Second, it's time to raise the prices a little (also have fuel surcharge clause if needed later). payup

nobagger
02-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Definitely every year. I have this lady who has referred a couple of good customers but she is a cheap PITA! I think she just likes to haggle over things. Last year we gave her a screaming deal due to the referrals but at the end of last year I asked all of my customers if they wanted us to return next season all but one said yes....guess who, the PITA! I hope she goes elsewhere, then she will see how much this stuff really costs,:gunsfirin payup

ProStreetCamaro
02-09-2006, 06:22 PM
We do not have contracts with any of our customers.

Jpocket
02-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Keep it coming guys I want to hear from everybody, esp. Rodfather, b/c I value his opinion.

BUMP

General Grounds
02-09-2006, 08:05 PM
:blob1: every year, as the years went on my agreement went from a few lines to a legal sheet long, because you'll have that one asswipe that will say "thats not in your agreement" so changes have to be made form year to year as well as the annual price increase. tony

PaulJ
02-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Until last year I would go to each customer and go over the agreement with them in person, but that got to be to much of a hassle. Last year and now this year I mailed out agreements for everyone including some former customers (thanks to Sean's tip of the day). My agreements have them sign and return the bottom third of the form. I have a separate form for mowing, fert, and other services like aeration and dethatching with boxes for them to check by the services they want and any other things they want info on.
It worked well last year and I am expecting all to renew this year.
This year I was able to get a data base set up with all the info I need on it and mail-merge it into the form. This worked great and looked a lot better than my hand written ones, but used allot of printer ink.
I am thinking about sending a letter this fall stating something to the effect of "If I don't here differently form you I will continue service again next season with a possible increase of 0% -?%"
I'm not sure of the wording yet but it sounds like a good idea.

gardenkeeper88
02-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Send out every year. Some things change, some customers I make change recommendations to, It reminds them I am here and ready to go. They see that we are on top of thing as usual.:waving:

E-Z Green
02-09-2006, 08:44 PM
No contracts...but this year i want to put my commericial clientel and new clients on paper.Then eventually work my existing clients into the trend.

Demetrius, E-Z Green

Jpocket
02-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Send out every year. Some things change, some customers I make change recommendations to, It reminds them I am here and ready to go. They see that we are on top of thing as usual.:waving:

Thank you that what I was trying to say. If nothing else it just says "HEY im here, still ready to serve you"

Jpocket
02-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Bump........

turfsurfer
02-09-2006, 11:53 PM
I used to think the auto renew thing was kind of a scam. However, you will find as your customers list gets into the hundreds and out of the tens that it becomes a royal pain in the @$$ to wait around for the renewal forms to trickle back in. Then you end up calling a ton of them and they say "you didn't have to call me, I just figured you would start when it was time to".
I send them a letter with the new prices, what their current services are, what other services are available , and several payment options. If they are happy with things as they are, do nothing and it auto renews. If they would like to make changes or prepay, mark the form appropriately and send it back in the enclosed envelope. Works for me.

Jpocket
02-10-2006, 12:00 AM
I used to think the auto renew thing was kind of a scam. However, you will find as your customers list gets into the hundreds and out of the tens that it becomes a royal pain in the @$$ to wait around for the renewal forms to trickle back in. Then you end up calling a ton of them and they say "you didn't have to call me, I just figured you would start when it was time to".
I send them a letter with the new prices, what their current services are, what other services are available , and several payment options. If they are happy with things as they are, do nothing and it auto renews. If they would like to make changes or prepay, mark the form appropriately and send it back in the enclosed envelope. Works for me.

I think this might be a year or two down the road for me. I don't want to change too much too fast for the customers that have been with me from the beginning, or atleast for the past 3 seasons. Last year I switched 90% of customers to monthyly payments, that went over well. This year will be similar. Maybe next fall I put a note on the final invoice saying that their agreement will auto Renew if we don't hear from you in March.

6'7 330
02-10-2006, 03:01 AM

We use a auto-renew approach to.It would be utter koas,waiting for clients to call in to renew.On top of this approach, our montly newletters provide a reminder to client as well .

vanguard
02-10-2006, 11:16 AM
We do not have contracts with any of our customers.
To Bad. That's a good way of setting yourself up to get Screwed :nono:

Jpocket
02-10-2006, 12:57 PM
bump.......:rolleyes:

TURFLORD
02-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Sent out my letters last week. I'll still have to call some, never fails. A few are on the permanent list. A quote from one customer," Stop asking me if I want it done. Your the man. If it needs it just do it." I wish they were all like that.:)

Jpocket
02-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Sent out my letters last week. I'll still have to call some, never fails. A few are on the permanent list. A quote from one customer," Stop asking me if I want it done. Your the man. If it needs it just do it." I wish they were all like that.:)

You got that right. Sometimes I feel like im in the mind reading business. ESP. with the snow plowing OMG. To push or not to push!

This is off topic, but next year we are not taking anymore Residential Driveways. I'm marketing only to Commercial

GrassBustersLawn
02-10-2006, 07:48 PM
I send out a new "Service Agreement" each year. It is a good chance to UPSELL additional services. Also, if my rates are changing, it notifies them. If they don't send it back, I just start cutting as usual because I have a clause in LAST YEARS AGREEMENT saying it AUTOMATICALLY RENEWS and they need to give 30 days WRITTEN NOTICE to cancel.

Mike

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-11-2006, 07:48 AM
New agreements each year. That way I can make changes to the agreements if necessary based on any issues from the previous season.

Jpocket
02-11-2006, 08:39 AM
I seems that half of us do it every year and half of us do some variation of AUTO-Renew.

That s all I wanted was some reasurrace. Obviously the guys with over 100 accounts arent going to wait around, thats an issue I'll deal with next year. Right now I only have 60 so I can wait for them to renew.

bigjeeping
02-11-2006, 10:11 PM
bump........

Evergreenpros
02-12-2006, 04:45 PM
I put an auto renew clause in my contracts. I just have a "cancel anytime" clause for the 1st 2 months of the contract. Actually I have a 2 week cancel in the contract all year long, people are really more receptive to signing it when they don't know you or how well you do.

smarino21
02-13-2006, 01:55 AM
j pocket i am doing the same exact thing next yr residential is way too much b/s commercial snow is best.

sgallaher
02-13-2006, 11:12 AM
We send out new agreements each year, that way we know for sure that they are continuing to be a customer.
us flag

Jpocket
02-13-2006, 10:34 PM
j pocket i am doing the same exact thing next yr residential is way too much b/s commercial snow is best.

Yea it's like the Commercial accounts I have are CAKE, Clear the entrance, plow around the cars and on to the next one. Residential they want it done when the storm is over, the city trucks have packed the snow HARD at the entrance, and the customer is only willing to pay so much. On top of that on commercials you don't have to get out of the truck

HOOLIE
02-14-2006, 12:02 AM
The main reason I do auto-renew is, I don't like to give the customer an opportunity to say no. If you send them a new agreement, in their eyes, they are technically no longer your customer, and must sign and return that thing to stay your customer. So you're giving the customer an easy out. If they really aren't happy they can call and cancel as far as I'm concerned. When you make people sign a new agreement, what you have done essentially is FIRE ALL YOUR CLIENTS...you now have ZERO customers and must sign them back up. Of course you're not gonna lose them all, but really that's what you're doing.

Same logic with Auto-Pay or credit card payments...take the customer out of the process of paying you and life gets easier...

smarino21
02-14-2006, 02:21 AM
i was intrested in accepting credit cards this year . what is the best way to do so? how do you do it?

walker-talker
02-14-2006, 10:45 AM
I just mailed my renewal letters out this morning. I put in a statement, in bold, requesting that they contact me (by mail, email or phone) should they wish to discontinue services. I listed the services they are scheduled to receive, the frequency and price. Because my business is in it's early growth stage, beginning schedules can fluctuate. Because of the shuffling around, I agree to collect their grass until I get a permanent schedule worked out.

vanguard
02-14-2006, 11:06 PM
i was intrested in accepting credit cards this year . what is the best way to do so? how do you do it?

Sam's club has good rates. $4.95 a month and $1.68 a transaction clapping

walker-talker
02-15-2006, 02:59 AM
Can you set it up for the months you need and cancel for the winter and then restart it in the spring....with not additional costs?

vanguard
02-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Can you set it up for the months you need and cancel for the winter and then restart it in the spring....with not additional costs?

Not sure about that, but in the Winter we do snow removal, so it's always available to my customers and the monthly fee is only a $60 annual business expense (Tax write-off) weightlifter

walker-talker
02-15-2006, 02:29 PM
So..do they give you something to scan the cards with....or do you have to call the number in? I will go to their site to see what I come up with.

Matt

VnDrWLawnCare
01-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Great thread about letters and auto renewal contracts.

I would like to put all of my customers on a monthly contract. Summers are getting dryer, and this really hits the income hard.

Do you guys have any example of letters i could send out to clients to change them over from per cut charge to a contract that i can include everything within.

Also would anybody like to share an example of their contract letter.

I would appreciate any assistance.
I have searched the archives, but have only found pieces of stuff.
Just trying to put everthing together.

Thanks
Eric

Jpocket
01-26-2007, 09:33 AM

This is what I will be doing this year. We grew considerably from this time last year when I started this thread. I simply have too many customers at this point to wait on all the agreements to get back, and to have to call the ones I don't hear from. I will be sending out two reminders though on by letter and the other by flyer.

Jpocket
01-26-2007, 09:35 AM
He seemed to disappear, I didn't realize it until I looked at this old thread. That guy used to have some pretty good ideas.