PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to start doing Spring-Cleanups?

wglawncare
02-09-2006, 04:40 PM
I was just approached by one of my existing cutomers to do a spring cleanup. The lawn looks terrible. I did a fall-cleanup but many more leaves have come down since it 1st snowed here in Wisconsin. I am going to attend a meeting in his neighborhood with ALL of his neighbors and I want his yard to look good. Is it time yet where I should do something or should I wait till it gets warmer and more towards spring. I really need an answer ASAP! Thanks for all the help..

robertsturf
02-09-2006, 04:45 PM
I would say if the customer will pay for it and the lawn needs it I would do it. Provided it would not harm the turf (frost) or damage any perennials. Alot of it depends on the temp at present time and the forcast. I was planning on starting some commercial clean-ups next week. Forcast in 60's, cutting back Pampas grass and day lilies. I am waiting on the first mowing though until March.

JKOOPERS
02-09-2006, 04:49 PM
i wouldnt run mowers on the lawn this late in the winter though . how are you cutting back daylillies at all or this time of year? :dizzy: :dizzy:

robertsturf
02-09-2006, 04:54 PM
I haven't yet. If you read my post I said I was thinking about starting next week. It depends on how the long range forecast looks. We already have emerging perennials showing. When I do start cutting them back I use a gas powered hedge trimmer. A lot cleaner than by hand.

wglawncare
02-09-2006, 04:55 PM
I wold just mainly be focusing on the leaves and not cutting back any plants or bushes. If I were just to handrake the lawn, would there be any problem with that? Would there be any harm working on it that way. And what would be the effects of using the mower on it.

robertsturf
02-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Hand raking or blowing the leaves into piles would be fine. Running a heavy mower over the lawn would leave tire tracks and possible cause winter damage due to the lawn being in dormancy.

wglawncare
02-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Does anyone else have any opinion on this matter?

topsites
02-10-2006, 06:54 PM
It's not spring, it is winter.

I get those calls asking me to mow too but I don't run my mowers in winter and that's all there is to it.

Be glad to come out and blow the yard off with the backpack or the pushblower.
That does one of two things:
- They readily agree that blowing appears to be the better choice and I get 50 bucks / hour blowing until it's clean.
- They are disappointed I won't come out and clean up leaves and mess for the same price it costs to cut their grass in the summer.

Either way, the problem is fixed.

mulcahy mowing
02-10-2006, 07:02 PM
use a blower you'll end up better off.

gardenkeeper88
02-10-2006, 07:10 PM
We just did one 8 days ago, Most all perennials get cut down in fall.

Richard Martin
02-10-2006, 08:43 PM
I was planning on starting some commercial clean-ups next week. Forcast in 60's,

Good luck with those 60s. I was reading about next week's weather today and they were talking about how almost the entire nation is going into a deep freeze. Your forecast shows 1 day at 51 and a whole lot of 30's with lows in the teens and twenties. Not my kind of weather for doing spring cleanups when everything is frozen to the ground.

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&myadc=1&traveler=1&zipcode=64050&metric=0

robertsturf
02-10-2006, 09:22 PM
My earlier post said I was considering doing clean-ups depending on the forcast. Our original forecast was calling for 60's by the end of next week. I was not making a definite statement. We are just cleaning out beds etc... These are commercial accounts that pay us 12 mos. out of the year, and their beds could use a little attention. I try to do them first because later in the Spring with apps. and lawn clean-ups we get very busy, so I use the bed maintenance clean-ups as a way to get a head start. We do NOT mow them this time of year no matter what!