PDA

View Full Version : j.d 997, 7 iron deck

Tonyr
02-09-2006, 05:41 PM
I've found this deck is great, best SD deck I've used, I'm happy with the deere stock blades, only there isn't a choice of several blades that fit, like toro make 5 choices for eg.

The very high lift deere stock is good, a lower sail, a notched high lift etc would be good options.

I've tried a toro notched highlift on this deck and it's awesome. shorter clippings, not thrown as far.

The deck is a very clean cut, even on stalky weed grasses.

has anyone tried megmos, or what combination of doubles have proved to be awesome for this deck to make it even better?

It is great now mostly, have you guys been able to make this deck even better, especially in heavy mowing?

robertsturf
02-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I used to own a Quik Trac with a 7-Iron deck, 54". I found the deck always stayed clean. I mowed tall, wet, etc.., and it was always clean. We had it on the lift one time at the dealer for warranty work and it looked like I just cleaned it and I had not touched it for 2 weeks. In the Spring around here (Midwest) USA we get a growth surge very wet and sticky , it still was the cleanest deck I have ever seen. I sold the machine because I didn't like the way it turned but it was still an exellent deck!!

Tonyr
02-09-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm finding that too, the deck is actually shiney underneath, clean is one thing, but this is actually shiney!

Admitingly I live on the coast and the sand would contribute, but the toro turbo force deck which is awesome too stayed clean, but not shiney like this 7 iron.

DLCS
02-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Tony,

The best double setup that i have found for the 60" 7 iron decks is using the stock JD high lift on top and putting a 60" Dixie Chopper High lift on bottom. The dixie Chopper blade is about 1/4 shorter than the JD but that doesn't matter since the JD blade is stepped and actually will cut on the same plane as the Dixie blade. I have found that this setup works really well on taller grass.

Travis Followell
02-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Tony, glad to hear the new SD machine is working out for you.

Tonyr
02-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Hey Mike,

thanks mate!

The Dixie blade....is it a high lift? As high lift as the deere blade?

The deere blade on my deck is massive, wide and high sail, really moves the material, but throws a long way.

good blades, expensive though.....$43 each

Yeah Travis, I love the new 997, SD model, great thing! currently got a flat tyre, bummer lol. not getting any rear screen clogging issues or heating, actually, radiator even stays clean. wish I bought this in the 1st place, would of saved a lot of stress. I have no problem recommending this mower to anyone, but leave that RD unit alone.

DLCS
02-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Yeh your right the JD blades are expensive. Yes, the Dixie Blades are notched high lift and are straight, no step like the Deere high lifts. I bought my Dixie blades through Landscaper supply, don't know if you can even get Dixie parts over in Australia though.

Tonyr
02-09-2006, 07:13 PM
ok..........

well I have great success with the toro notched highlift using a spacer, actually, if deere made a notched highlift it would suit me perfect. this deck on my grass goes great with this blade design.

I'll give your system a try, using the toro blade under the deere, and let ya know, it will be in long heavy feral grass mowing, I mothered the RD unit, I'm not mothering this one, it thrives on hard work lol.

nice deck, very simple design, love it.

DLCS
02-09-2006, 07:18 PM
So, the Toro blades work pretty good on the 7 Iron are they the same length as the Deere blades? I may have to give them a try. Let me know how you like them as double blades.

Tonyr
02-09-2006, 07:29 PM
The Toro blades are 20.5'' deere 21''.

no streaks in heavy mowing even with the shorter mowing, if for some reason I stopped using the deere blade I'd just use the tor notched highlift with a spacer, but I prefer the stepped design of the deere, protects the spindle bolt more being up a bit higher....

my perfert blade I think is a curved 21'' notched highlift blade for this deck in our northern aussie ''grass''.....weeds mowed short to look like grass lol.

REVOLUTION LAWN CO.
02-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Congratulations TonyR, im happy that you are finally posting something positive about the John Deere 997. Back to the point I have a set of megmo's on one of my 997's and they are far superior to doubles IMO. I will be purchasing several other sets for the other 997's in the spring. As soon as the weather gets warmer i'll try and post some mowing pictures with the megmo's compared to the single JD highlifts.

RLC

PS: No hard feelings TonyR:)

greengiant9963
02-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Congratulations TonyR, im happy that you are finally posting something positive about the John Deere 997. Back to the point I have a set of megmo's on one of my 997's and they are far superior to doubles IMO. I will be purchasing several other sets for the other 997's in the spring. As soon as the weather gets warmer i'll try and post some mowing pictures with the megmo's compared to the single JD highlifts.

RLC

PS: No hard feelings TonyR:)

I actually bought a John Deere 737 last week and looking for good blade options for it. Have read good and bad about meg-mo. Just curious how do they do on wet grass? I do know that some guys on here have problems with it packing the deck up. Thanks.

Envy Lawn Service
02-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Tony,

I'd like to have a look at any JD blades you have/get, so keep me in mind at blade changes and send me some pics. JD is the only other one I know of that runs the same size center hole as my mower does. They may even be the same or a very similar blade. I'm hoping to find something a hair different, just for the fun of trying them....

Tonyr
02-10-2006, 03:47 AM
Revolution, like I said recently, I was posting positive stuff way before you jumped in ready for a battle. like you said, no hard feelings.....feel free to invite me to any fight you want to ever bring on.

I liked and respected you once, those feelings took a pounding recently, sorry, it's up to you if you want to earn that respect back by backing off and getting your facts straight before starting something with me.

Envy, I'll be taking the blades off this weekend to sharpen them, they are great, heavy on horse power though, but really move those clippings!
I'll get a pic for ya!

I can't show you a pic, but the RD deck had a lower sail blade, more like an average height high sail, nice heavy blade. part number M128485

The one on the 7 iron is huge in comparison, part number TCU15881

Tonyr
02-10-2006, 03:51 AM
Envy, here are the specs for the 2 deere blades I mentioned, now you can compare sail height, curve amount etc.

deere blades are very high quality, I can buy much cheaper aftermarket blades, but the deere blades work nice on the deere deck. So, to me the extra expense is worth it if they perform better, not like I go through that many sets a season.

===========

M128485
Part Price: 36.58 AUD
Description: BLADE, CUTTING (60")

Weight 4.21 LBS 1.91 Kg
Length 535.000 MM
Stock Width 63.500 MM
Thickness 7.920 MM
Wing Height 25.000 MM
Hole Size 23.000 MM
Cut Length 110.000 MM
Offset 18.000 MM
Material 5150
Finish A
Note

==============

Part Number: TCU15881
Part Price: 43.07 AUD
Description: BLADE, HIGH LIFT 7-IRON

Weight 4.30 LBS 1.95 Kg
Length 535.000 MM
Stock Width 76.200 MM
Thickness 6.350 MM
Wing Height 33.000 MM
Hole Size 23.000 MM
Cut Length 120.000 MM
Offset 18.000 MM
Material 10B38F
Finish A

==============================

REVOLUTION LAWN CO.
02-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Green Giant, I haven't had the chance to use the blades in a heavy downpour yet however I have mowed wet grass from condensation and rain and it hasn't clogged the deck. I'll try and run it around sometime when the rain actually gets here :) .

Envy, When we were using the doubles we found a gravely blade that matched up to the JD spindle. I would not however recommend them since we went through several sets per week.

TonyR, yeah tonyr i'll make sure I get my facts straight next time and maybe a better post that is more understanding would also assist me. Besides its not even worth my time to argue with you regarding the 997. Because I'm sure you already have your mind set on your opionion of the 997 no matter what the situation. I feel you are ranting and raving over the John Deere because your a Toro fan or whatever and in your mind you obviously made a 30,000 mistake.

RLC

heather lawn sp
02-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Revolution:

for the cost
for the cut
for the durability

are the meg-mo blades a better deal on the 997?

Thanks
Ross

REVOLUTION LAWN CO.
02-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Heather Lawn, As far as I am concerned the megmo blades are far superior to doubles or singles. I used them for about a month before the mowing season stopped and they're still like new as far as sharpness,dings etc. The extra cost is worth it since it doesnt look like you will have to buy as many new sets of blades and if you do need a new set of knives (megmo blades) they are cheaper than a set of blades as well. The cut is far superior to doubles as well I have almost no clippings and it can go through tall grass without bogging like doubles would. Not to mention the fuel economy has greatly improved using megmo's compared to doubles.

RLC

heather lawn sp
02-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Revolution:

Foolish question. . .
Are you running a 60" deck or a 72"?

Thanks for the help
Ross

REVOLUTION LAWN CO.
02-10-2006, 02:11 PM
72" Decks. No problem at all if you have any other quesions I'll try and answer them the best I can.

RLC

Tonyr
02-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Here we go again!

Re

Quote; I feel you are ranting and raving over the John Deere because your a Toro fan or whatever and in your mind you obviously made a 30,000 mistake.

Listen, I have repeatedly said I like the 997 side discharge, read things ya nut! I've never dumped on 997's in general, ONLY MINE!! It had problems even dealer admitted to, it was Rear discharge!

can you read??

GreenMonster
02-10-2006, 11:55 PM
The deere blade on my deck is massive, wide and high sail, really moves the material, but throws a long way.

I've said here before that 7-Iron throws clippings like a mutha! Kinda kills the old "stamped decks don't discharge well" myth.

Tony, I missed most of your rd debacle this summer, but I'm glad things are working out now!

You guys talking about doubles... I vaguely remember trying to run doubles on my 54" this summer, but the spindle set-up wouldn't accept two blades. Now, I'm having a little trouble remembering exactly what was going on, but is there something I'm missing?

green acres lawns
02-11-2006, 12:58 AM
I demoed the 997 last year and really liked the way it felt. My only concern was the rops catching on things overhead and the overall height in the mower. Don't think it will hold hills like my sabre tooth.

heather lawn sp
02-11-2006, 03:15 AM
I demoed the 997 last year and really liked the way it felt. My only concern was the rops catching on things overhead and the overall height in the mower. Don't think it will hold hills like my sabre tooth.

It does side slide a little bit earlier, but changing to knobby tires really improves traction control, just be gentle with the snap turns. The torque puts it way out ahead on the score card.

I might as well make a sermon out of this, does anybody else besides Tonyr and I have problems with rad bottle overflow?

Envy Lawn Service
02-11-2006, 03:24 AM
It does side slide a little bit earlier, but changing to knobby tires really improves traction control, just be gentle with the snap turns. The torque puts it way out ahead on the score card.

I might as well make a sermon out of this, does anybody else besides Tonyr and I have problems with rad bottle overflow?

WHICH knobby tires EXACTLY???

heather lawn sp
02-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Alright Alright ya cot me fantasizin again

But

We are using Carlise Turf Tamers (carlisletire.com) on the JD F725 and the JD655. The plan now when we re-tire the 997 is to use the Turf Tamer

but changing to knobby tire WOULD really improve the traction control

is what I should have said

stumper1620
02-11-2006, 08:38 AM
I've said here before that 7-Iron throws clippings like a mutha! Kinda kills the old "stamped decks don't discharge well" myth.

Tony, I missed most of your rd debacle this summer, but I'm glad things are working out now!

You guys talking about doubles... I vaguely remember trying to run doubles on my 54" this summer, but the spindle set-up wouldn't accept two blades. Now, I'm having a little trouble remembering exactly what was going on, but is there something I'm missing?
Mark,
I ran doubles at the end of last season on my 54, Performance was outstanding, double gators, Used the regular, recommended gator on top and a (I think) 20.5" flat gator on the bottom with a small bolt hole, then ran it down tight. uses some HP and I had to slow down alittle but the cut quality was outstanding.

Envy Lawn Service
02-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Alright Alright ya cot me fantasizin again

But

We are using Carlise Turf Tamers (carlisletire.com) on the JD F725 and the JD655. The plan now when we re-tire the 997 is to use the Turf Tamer

but changing to knobby tire WOULD really improve the traction control

is what I should have said

So you use the Turf Tamer ATV knobby on the 725 & 655?
Not the Turf Saver lawn tractor tire, right? (easy to mix up)

Loved those tires racing ATV's. The ones on my utility do pretty well to, but they are the balloon type of them. Tall but fit an 8" rim.

Anyways, I have seen the Turf Tamers on mowers here. Thinking about them myself. But for your 997 you may have to look at the All-Trail tire or the HD Field Trax. You know, the one JD puts on the utilities now and the 4x4 X-Series garden tractors.

The reason I point this out is that the 997 runs the 26" rear tires.
I don't think they make a 26" turf tamer but they do make an All-Trail or HD Field Trax in 26".

heather lawn sp
02-11-2006, 01:47 PM
So you use the Turf Tamer ATV knobby on the 725 & 655?
Not the Turf Saver lawn tractor tire, right? (easy to mix up)

Loved those tires racing ATV's. The ones on my utility do pretty well to, but they are the balloon type of them. Tall but fit an 8" rim.

Anyways, I have seen the Turf Tamers on mowers here. Thinking about them myself. But for your 997 you may have to look at the All-Trail tire or the HD Field Trax. You know, the one JD puts on the utilities now and the 4x4 X-Series garden tractors.

The reason I point this out is that the 997 runs the 26" rear tires.
I don't think they make a 26" turf tamer but they do make an All-Trail or HD Field Trax in 26".

1 No. . . definitely turf tamer
2 You 're right. . .no they don't. HD field Trax looks a little aggressive have you tried them?

How are the teeth this morning? Are you gonna take Momma She-shovel's advice?

Envy Lawn Service
02-11-2006, 02:44 PM
1 No. . . definitely turf tamer
2 You 're right. . .no they don't. HD field Trax looks a little aggressive have you tried them?

How are the teeth this morning? Are you gonna take Momma She-shovel's advice?

1) Cool and good to know, they are still on my list, how are they on the 655 ZTR?

2) No I have not tried them, but they are an OEM Kit option for me. Lesco, Cub and Dixie Chopper offer them this way. I also think some others with other machines have converted to them also. I'm real curious about them. But all tire types seem to get such MIXED reviews it's hard to know what to do.

The teeth have been fine for years. It was the ear that was a problem. It's finally improving, but sheshovel thinks I should sue that first dentist as he is to blame.

heather lawn sp
02-11-2006, 03:44 PM
The 655 will hold just about any slope that you can stayed seated on. If you have to shift that much too stay in the seat you probably should not be mowing it and should break out the big trimmer. The 997 will head to the wide open flat terrain and the 655 heads for slopes and small areas.

the F725 is sort of like this old man, it's slow, it mows when someone else can't get there, it boom sprays, sweeps, mulches, aerates, dethatches, snowthrows (but not much anymore) & even makes julienne fries :rolleyes:

Envy Lawn Service
02-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I hang the slopes just fine. Where I have traction issues is just TURNING in general. So, when you have time or just get bored, read this thread of mine...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=118630

I'm still not sure what to try really..

(PS> sorry for the thread hijack everyone)

Tonyr
02-11-2006, 04:54 PM
your ok Envy, it is nice to read intelligent conversation, not just rubbish accusing me of bashing the 997's when I was only ever complaining about the one I had, should I mention this new mowers hood seals properly, the first one never did? it was a dud, the new mower is fantastic, yet as many times I say how much I love this new model, there are always going to be the clown that can't read that and sees me as bashing.

I'm glad to read your posts Envy and Ross, 2 smart guys who know their stuff.

Envy Lawn Service
02-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Yeah Tony, I'm going through the same thing over in that one Yazoo/Kees thread. But it also seems that some of the other owners are starting to figure out what I already know.

Anyhow, the ONE THING that still bugs me about your two 997's is the fact that something more was different about the rear discharge model than just the deck. I still wonder what was different about the air intake that would cause it to catch and hold the debris on the screen???

When you took both and put debris on the screen side by side on purpose, that took the cake. I'd like to know what the difference was because I still believe it would have been problematic if it were a side discharge. I think it would have still clogged, just not near as fast.

I believe the fans were different or something.

heather lawn sp
02-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Envy

How many hours on your tires? The turf tires get really slippery when old.
I'm a little nervous about bar tires. As said the knobby's do a good job of traction and slope holding just use a 3 point backing turn, to turn around BUT where can one get 26-12-12 knobby tires??

speaking as the 997 side discharge owner the rear screen kept fairly clean. I'm wondering (Tony jump right in here); How much of the problem was the nature of the grass (tall thick dry) that you are mowing? We can probably go 3 days without cleaning the screen.

Tony:

how does that compare to yours now? We're getting new engine cover seals the foam plastic weather stripping under warranty Its in for its winter check-out now.

Deere Pilot
02-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Are saying you place two blades per spindle? And if so, what part number of Dixie Chopper Blade is it?

Envy Lawn Service
02-11-2006, 11:02 PM
The 655 will hold just about any slope that you can stayed seated on. If you have to shift that much too stay in the seat you probably should not be mowing it and should break out the big trimmer. The 997 will head to the wide open flat terrain and the 655 heads for slopes and small areas.

OK, one more intrusion...

Do you happen to have a picture of the 655 with the Turf Tamers?
I assume they are the 23x10.5-12 size?

Mainly I'm trying to figure out if they are a squared tire like the 22x11-10?
(pictures of those everywhere)
Or are they balloon/rounded like the ones on my utility?
But a picture would be nice too if you happen to have one...

heather lawn sp
02-12-2006, 08:35 AM
OK, one more intrusion...

Do you happen to have a picture of the 655 with the Turf Tamers?
I assume they are the 23x10.5-12 size?

Mainly I'm trying to figure out if they are a squared tire like the 22x11-10?
(pictures of those everywhere)
Or are they balloon/rounded like the ones on my utility?
But a picture would be nice too if you happen to have one...

Sorry Envy no pics

Made the decision to go with squared edge flatter surface tires. good picture on the carlisletire.com site. I know what you mean be balloon/rounded ATV. I figured they were too aggressive and wouldn't float well on the soft parts of the lawns

heather lawn sp
02-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Are saying you place two blades per spindle? And if so, what part number of Dixie Chopper Blade is it?
Deere Pilot:

This bunch are the group to ask more about 72 inch mowers, advantages & disadvantages

Envy Lawn Service
02-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Sorry Envy no pics

Made the decision to go with squared edge flatter surface tires. good picture on the carlisletire.com site. I know what you mean be balloon/rounded ATV. I figured they were too aggressive and wouldn't float well on the soft parts of the lawns

Thanks a million. I too feel more comfortable about the squared tires. Less roll and more side bite on slopes.

Just to let you know, I'm not getting good feedback so far on that other tire.
So I may end up trying the Turf Tamers.

I also wanted to point out that you should take a physical tire measurement on the 997. I say that because my 24x12-12 turf tires are only actually a hair over 22". So you may find there are a lot of tires that are close to the same 'actual' size of your 26x12-12 tires.

heather lawn sp
02-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks a million. I too feel more comfortable about the squared tires. Less roll and more side bite on slopes.

Just to let you know, I'm not getting good feedback so far on that other tire.
So I may end up trying the Turf Tamers.

I also wanted to point out that you should take a physical tire measurement on the 997. I say that because my 24x12-12 turf tires are only actually a hair over 22". So you may find there are a lot of tires that are close to the same 'actual' size of your 26x12-12 tires.
I never actually measured the tires & it's currently at the dealer for warrantee work. I was taking it from the spec's. I'll take size from the wheel size and wheel opening of the mower. Thanks

Tonyr
02-12-2006, 05:33 PM
speaking as the 997 side discharge owner the rear screen kept fairly clean. I'm wondering (Tony jump right in here); How much of the problem was the nature of the grass (tall thick dry) that you are mowing? We can probably go 3 days without cleaning the screen.

Tony:

how does that compare to yours now? We're getting new engine cover seals the foam plastic weather stripping under warranty Its in for its winter check-out now.

=====================

Hi Ross,

same here, this new unit simply doesn't suck the debris up on the screen, on the big jobs time I stop to answer the phone etc, not once has it got dirty, only just the small section behind the radiator, but it just falls off, I like Envy suspect they used a different radiator fan because I've done very rough dusty jobs with the new unit that the old one simply couldn't, the new one just does not suck up the dust n chaff, the suction just isn't there. The park I do, last time with the RD it overheated 4 to 5 times in a day, same job on the SD doesn't even clog the screen, certainly no overheating! Wow!

deere australia are now replacing the foam seal with a door seal rubber under warrantee, I can't think of anything else but a different fan they used, the new model's hood naturally seals properly, the old one didn't, I think the old hood was out of spec.....

grass types.....the RD only did reg cut parks, bermuda, whether wet or dry it would clog the screen.

the new SD does the same jobs and does not hint of clogging the screen, not once has it got hot. this new SD I do rough work with it like I Did with the toro, light bush hogging, lawns, everything, not once has it struggled, the more I feed it the more it wants, yet it is working in much harsher conditions, much dustier conditions, cutting long dry grass etc etc, no probs!

I know praising the the new SD will be seen by some as somehow bashing, sorry about that, I am very happy with the new SD, no issues at all....more bashing! I must stop saying nice things that offend others!:rolleyes: LOL, LOL.

As I said, I still think it is the radiator fan or something, one sucked up debris, one doesn't, suction is from the radiar fan....and seal.

this is where my RD had something wrong. :cry:

Also, read earlier about the radiator coolant bottle.....I'm going to see if I can pick up something bigger from an auto parts shop, not even going to waste my time mentioning it to deere or dealer.

the only work my dealer is going to get is changing the hydro oil, and the warrantee radiator seal. (maybe I'll even just do it myself!)

All is good....

heather lawn sp
02-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Tony

I think you have inadvertently uncovered a raw nerve at Deere. They do alot right, but don't really want to admit when they have screwed up (F735 diesel noise level, 997-RD clipping eject, rad bottle on 997 leaking) and these are just the one's I'm of aware of. One more thing, there is a DTAC #68594 issued on the steering of the 997. It was caught and corrected in the later ones. Ours is number 250. I would bug the dealer to see if your machine is covered by the DTAC or not.

Envy Lawn Service
02-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Well Tony, I'm just glad you are finally happy with your investment.
Feels good don't it?

(PS> Does the font on here look different/bigger to anyone else?)

jtkplc
02-12-2006, 09:40 PM
(PS> Does the font on here look different/bigger to anyone else?)

Yeah, font is bigger and they changed the color green to a little brighter shade. There are also new smilies...

Tonyr
02-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Also Ross, has yours got the electric/hyraulic foot lift pedal?

If so, your thoughts?

I had it fitted to my RD unit, very savage up and down, like up was very fast, down was dropped.

They fitted a relief tap to soften it, but no feathering like the Hustler one, it is all up or all down.

I tried telling service guy I need feathering, he says foot pedals and this are for raising deck heights, no one feathers over objects etc.

I said with a manual pedal I feather over objects all of the time, thats the idea!

It was pointed out I was wrong and basically know crap about commercial mowing.

My SD unit still has the manual pedal, I'm thinking of keeping it, I did not like the electric type at all, too violent.

What are your thoughts?

Yep Envy, I'm happy with this mower, feels good to have the stress lifted, I won, dealer and deere shafted me, they got the bad publicity, dealer has no respect for me, he loses my future business, simple. His loss.

DLCS
02-12-2006, 10:16 PM

Yes pilot two blades per spindle. I use a Deere high lift on top and a Dixie Chopper notch foil high lift for a 60" deck on the bottom. I don't have the part numbers but I can find them for you if you need them. Just look in a j-Thomas catalog they should have the DC blades you would need.

DLCS
02-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I don't think i could mow without the ability to feather over obsticles with the foot pedal. I'm not sure why anyone would need the electric lift, the foot pedal is so much simpler and so easy.

heather lawn sp
02-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Tony

Had to double check with the thirteen year old, she says it's a straight manual lift.

The hydraulic assist lift of the RD is news to me.

We tend to run the 997 over school playing fields and the like at sticks out full, so feathering the deck height has never been much of a technique around here. These are tendered school board projects so quality of cut will take second place to price of cut. If we buzz one spot one week it will grow back flatter the next week:rolleyes:

Tonyr
02-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Ok.....

says on the deere website all 997's are to have the electric.hydro deck lift fitted as a warrantee thing....

Wouldn't worry too much about it, I got used to mine, but don't miss it, I prefer the old way, something to wedge ya foot against on hills lol.

The decks life easy enough, I don't understand why people want electric deck lifts?

heather lawn sp
02-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Ok.....

says on the deere website all 997's are to have the electric.hydro deck lift fitted as a warrantee thing....

Wouldn't worry too much about it, I got used to mine, but don't miss it, I prefer the old way, something to wedge ya foot against on hills lol.

The decks life easy enough, I don't understand why people want electric deck lifts?

No idea either. If daughter can handle it anybody should. Do you remember where on the website the electric-hydro deck lift thing is?

Envy Lawn Service
02-12-2006, 11:50 PM
I agree, if you have trouble foot lifting a 60" deck, something is out of whack.

Time to loosen up all the deck linkage stuff and start from scratch re-leveling.
Some of the linkage was put together in a bind.

The 60" deck on my Lesco is really heavy. It don't bounce. It's that heavy.
At first, I had to use the long lift handle and the foot assist to lift the deck.
No feathering that!!!!
I though to myself... I see why the foot assist is standard and the lift handle is so long.
You need all your might on both to get the deck up.

But once I did my first deck adjustment, I loosened everything and I always hop back on the mower and lift the deck up and down a couple of times to make sure all the kinks are out before I start. Hit the pedal and yanked it up. Bam, it flew up!!! I literally leaned over and looked to see if the deck was still sitting on the ground???

Moral of the story is it was in a bind and that is what made it so hard to lift.

heather lawn sp
02-13-2006, 12:01 AM
psssst Envy, 997 has a 72" deck

Tonyr
02-13-2006, 12:07 AM
I'll find that info re deck lift on the 997 part of the deere site tonight, gotta get back out to work now.....so damn hot I'm avoiding the mid day heat.

Envy, I haven't done the blade change yet, haven't forgot about that pic!

Had big weekend, lots of drinkies! lol.

Envy Lawn Service
02-13-2006, 01:17 AM
psssst Envy, 997 has a 72" deck

psssst... not Tony's

He's a power glutton.... 31 diesel ponies on a 60"...

Envy Lawn Service
02-13-2006, 02:16 AM
I'll find that info re deck lift on the 997 part of the deere site tonight, gotta get back out to work now.....so damn hot I'm avoiding the mid day heat.

Envy, I haven't done the blade change yet, haven't forgot about that pic!

Had big weekend, lots of drinkies! lol.

Thanks for keeping me in mind.

Bought myself some drinkies just a bit ago. I think I need to get into them NOW :drinkup:

Anyways, if you get bored while no one is on Aussie time, you should slide over and read that "Yazoo Kees, great or aweful" thread I have been participating in. Someone started that last fall and it DIED real fast with my post at the top of page 4. Then another Y/K owner came along and revived it a few days ago. Shortly thereafter I got really really prevoked and a lot of 'bottled up' info just started pouring out of me.

It's a good read and I think you'll be able to understand the angle I was coming from in some of our old conversations. Been there buddy, believe me...

heather lawn sp
02-13-2006, 08:14 AM
psssst... not Tony's

He's a power glutton.... 31 diesel ponies on a 60"...

Oh! (rooom rooom)

Tonyr
02-13-2006, 08:22 AM
LOL, I like POWER!

Even on the little 60'', I often use all ponies, I make the expensive pile of metal earn it's keep! LOL

Tonyr
02-13-2006, 08:28 AM
OK, lets try this....the closest I could find mentioning the deck lift, 05 onwards get the hydro deck lift thingy. There is more spercific info, I'll keep digging!

BASE MACHINE/7-IRON COMMERCIAL MOWER DECK
997 Commercial L. C. Diesel Max-Frame Z-TRAK with 60 In. Side Discharge 7-Iron II Deck $15,519.00

SEATS

2. Optional - Select as desired

SERVICE CONTRACTS

MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS

ACCESSORIES

Miscellaneous: Mower Deck and Mower Deck Attachments:
Description Code Price
Miscellaneous:

Deluxe Comfort Seat with Armrest DMB210114 $449.00

Front Light (2) Kit TCB10591 $177.00

Rear Bumper Kit DMB210226 $370.00

Suspension Seat with Armrests DMB210133 $719.00

Mower Deck and Mower Deck Attachments:

60 In. Mulching Kit TCB10953 $260.00

Hydraulic Deck Lift

For Model Year '05 Machines Not Equipped with Standard
Hydraulic Deck Lift. DMB210112 $445.00

Roller Striping Kit for 60 In. Side Discharge Deck TCB10802 $349.00

EXTENDED WARRANTY

Looking for related implements and attachments? You will have the option to add those to your cart in Step 4.
Continue

*Manufacturer's suggested list price. Special pricing may be available on certain models. See dealer for details. Taxes, freight, setup, and delivery not included. Prices may vary by dealer. Offers valid in the United States. Prices in U.S. dollars.

PRIVACY LEGAL

heather lawn sp
02-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks Tony

That would explain our manual lift

It says seats optional. . . does that mean you can stand if you don't want to buy that option?:laugh:

Tonyr
02-13-2006, 05:28 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wish I could of posted the link, but it wouldn't work, there is a page in there somewhere that actually says all 997's come out or are to be fitted with the new electric deck lift thingy, but I couldn't find it.

if you wanted it, just ask ya dealer, he 'should' know what is going on, as we know, dealers don't bother being forthcoming sharing updates, info etc....:dizzy:

it runs off of a hydro ram under the left side of the foot plate, you can see 2 lugs there to bolt a ram too, the ram runs from the hydraulic system, needs revs to lift deck, cannot move deck unless engine is on, and revs quite high.

a big job for the mechanic to fit. took em a day. plus the electrics thast go with it.

Lets say you are in long boggy grass, your deck is clogging, normally to just footpedal raise the deck to let it clear out the bulk right? With the electric/hydro system if the engine is loaded up, the ram can't get the juice to lift the deck.....pita!!!!!

BTW, they remove the manual pedal when the hydro/electric thing is installed so you can't have 2 options, pity!

Get what I'm saying?:dizzy:

While I did get used to it, it was a pita a lot of the time, maybe in time they will develop a better one, a bit like in time they will build a good RD ZTR lol.hammer

Well......who knows, miracles do happen!:laugh: :laugh: :drinkup:

heather lawn sp
02-13-2006, 09:22 PM
They've had my mower at the dealer for a while (not that I need it right now there is 8 inches of snow on the ground) for the steering linkage upgrade. I wonder if they are fitting the deck lift???

Tonyr
02-13-2006, 09:26 PM
I reckon when you see your mower it will have the deck lift fitted, maybe even a transnission warning light too.....one was fitted to my old mower.

steering linkage upgrade is an easy 10 min job, I watched em do mine.

Tonyr
02-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Part Number: TCU15881
Part Price: 43.07 AUD
Description: BLADE, HIGH LIFT 7-IRON

Weight 4.30 LBS 1.95 Kg
Length 535.000 MM
Stock Width 76.200 MM
Thickness 6.350 MM
Wing Height 33.000 MM
Hole Size 23.000 MM
Cut Length 120.000 MM
Offset 18.000 MM
Material 10B38F
Finish A

Tonyr
02-13-2006, 10:02 PM
-------------------------------

Tonyr
02-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Here is a pic that will surprise you...

remember my RD would could the entire screen in minutes?

Remember how I said this SD unit simply doesn't?

So, to really test it I threw on a magnetic sign last week, and last week was hot, very dusty, very chaffy, nasty, this screen still does not clog, it builds up around the sign a bit but seems to self cleen, it does not suck around the sides even!

now, someone please tell me that the RD was fine all along and I was whining for nothing, because this week long test with this big sign in out very hot dry dusty nasty conditions right now should ckoke this thing, oh, and I mow with the chute up, from lawns to jungles, and double cutting the dry chaff which turns to dust. something very different......then what would I know lol.

Envy Lawn Service
02-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks Tony,

Most of that blade looks much like my 3" wide highlifts.
Everything but the fact that blade is really arched as opposed to a regular style formed that most are.

Mine go flat across, then step down, which puts 5" of the blade on the cutting plane. This is the first deck I have seen do it, but you can tell it literally CUTS with the whole 5" instead of just say 2" out at the tip.

Those blades interest me though and I'll have to try a set just for kicks.
I wish you could try mine likewise.
Mine are Marbane steel and stay sharp forever.

Tonyr
02-13-2006, 10:11 PM
enough proof this mower is versatile?

The RD unit could not do this.....

S man
02-13-2006, 10:14 PM
I've found this deck is great, best SD deck I've used, I'm happy with the deere stock blades, only there isn't a choice of several blades that fit, like toro make 5 choices for eg.

The very high lift deere stock is good, a lower sail, a notched high lift etc would be good options.

I've tried a toro notched highlift on this deck and it's awesome. shorter clippings, not thrown as far.

The deck is a very clean cut, even on stalky weed grasses.

has anyone tried megmos, or what combination of doubles have proved to be awesome for this deck to make it even better?

It is great now mostly, have you guys been able to make this deck even better, especially in heavy mowing?

How's the screen on the back and the engine doing? I remember all the hell you've been through with it.

Envy Lawn Service
02-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Now ain't that a TRIP!?!?

It's gotta be a different fan on that mower.
Something is way different.

The suction just ain't there on that machine like it was on the other one.
I stand my ground with the belief the RD machine would have still clogged up had it been fitted with the SD deck.

It had suction this machine just don't have, and as I said, that was the problem all along.

Tonyr
02-13-2006, 10:33 PM
I stand my ground with the belief the RD machine would have still clogged up had it been fitted with the SD deck.

========

I reckon the same thing!

something weas definetly buggy with that other thing, who knows, either mine was the only buggy one or all RD deeres are, who knows.

I'm glad that's all behind me now, doesn't that sign just prove a point though!

and if you could see the crap jungles I've cut recently you would wander why it doesn't clog, but nup.....even if I grab handfuls of chaff and throw on the screen it won't stick, the RD would hold a full size towel!

has to be the fan....or something!:dizzy:

heather lawn sp
02-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Transmission warning light
What the hay?!?!

Tonyr
02-14-2006, 06:34 AM
they fitted one to mine.....maybe this is an extra too....who knows.

if you could of saw the feral jungle I did today you would think how the hell can a mower do that!

So long, so dry, so dusty, so chaffy, not mower country....the SD just chewed through it, bloody amazing, however I removed the sign knowing this was an extreme job, screen clogged 70%, no debris on radiator, no overheating, the RD would of died several times, I'm a happy camper! tired though! big hard job!