PDA

View Full Version : How many guys run mulch kits year round?

cleancutccl
02-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Trying to find a way to keep from having to blow grass clippings out of beds without bagging the grass. Been looking at the new exmark with 6" deep deck, dealer says run the mulch kit all year no problem. Is anyone set up that can back this up?

Mountain Peak
02-09-2006, 10:12 PM
I run all my mowers to mulch all year long except for fall clean ups, and then I catch with accelerator catchers. You do have to make sure you keep the decks really clean (daily scraping) and keep the blades sharp all the time. I think in the long run the grass thanks you for it.

firefightergw
02-09-2006, 10:30 PM
I think I can speak for most of the guys in the DFW area. Pretty much everyone here uses mulch kits too. It's a time saver. I always tell the customer that it is better for the yard because those grass clippings are a good source of nitrogen. I've got a mulch kit on my 21" Snapper and 36" Cub Cadet Commercial G1336. The only time I bag is for Fall clean-up and the first mowing in Spring.

mslawn
02-09-2006, 10:45 PM
ZTR's I usually have one setup to mulch and one setup to chunk it out the side, but I leave mulch kits on all walkbehinds.

quiet
02-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Mulch kit all year long here. 36" TTHP. It has Exmark's Tri-Vantage deck. We even mulch for the spring scalping. We've never bagged. But . . . we're also mowing Tif Bermuda that's short to begin with. Cutting it from 2" down to 1.5" isn't that big of a deal.

cleancutccl
02-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Not to downplay the southern input, but I need some info from the guy's with cool season grasses. In my area it is almost all fescue, and always grows fast in the spring.

jims5964
02-09-2006, 10:56 PM
I just bought my mulch kit last fall it is on a 52" exmark hp. The only thing I don't like about it is when you go over sidewalks or driveways it really makes a mess. I would like to run it all year but I will have to see how it does this spring, when grass is growing an inch a day:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LB1234
02-09-2006, 10:57 PM
We have two WBs. One mulching setup, one bagger/side discharge. When applicable we use the mulcher around the beds. Saves a lot of time having to run the side discharger three passes in one direction.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-09-2006, 11:00 PM
I have my 737 set up to mulch all year round and in the summer if I hit some bad bahia I will use the Exmark to side discharge. These are for the cheapos that want it done every 2 weeks.

Envy Lawn Service
02-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Trying to find a way to keep from having to blow grass clippings out of beds without bagging the grass. Been looking at the new exmark with 6" deep deck, dealer says run the mulch kit all year no problem. Is anyone set up that can back this up?

Yes, I run mulch kits year around. I hate the agrivation of side discharge.

But NO no one is set up with the Triton deck, mulch kit and any useful experience yet.

Even if they were, they couldn't back up what your dealer says.
He can't even back that up, as the deck hasn't been out long enough.

There is no way to know how this deck will perform in YOUR area with the mulch kit on all year.
You'll pretty much have to take a gamble.

The best advice I can give you is to ask him to back that up.
Have him set up a long term demo with the mulch kit installed.
Like atleast a full week once the spring grass gets rolling good.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-09-2006, 11:35 PM
I run mulch kits on my heavier mowers like standers and ztrs, and I run side discharge on my wb's for rainy days.

EDEN77
02-09-2006, 11:37 PM
I mulch year round. It is really tough in the spring on lawns that are fertilized by other companies every month. I have to mow high and keep sharp atomic mulching blades on the mowers. A lot of double-cutting in the spring. It still saves time and work over bagging. I can't throw the grass without making a mess because my lawns aren't big enough, generally.

Jpocket
02-09-2006, 11:47 PM
EVERYBODY side discharges around here. I've never ran a mulch kit.

cleancutccl
02-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Here I don't see many mulching kits, I personally don't run any at any time of the year, but would like to start. I have already set up a demo with an exmark dealer for the new triton deck. I will be able to use it for 2 days, and I will have them put the mulch kit on it to see how it works. Hopefully the grass will be growing at its fastest at that point. I scheduled it for the late/middle of april. Once I try it out I will definitely let everyone know about it. I'm also demoing a stander from the same dealer.

greengiant9963
02-09-2006, 11:56 PM
I really don't see many guys here mulching either. It is side discharged or bagged.

tat900
02-10-2006, 12:25 PM
my toro wb is a 37" recycler deck and my 717a is a side discharge will not bag ever not worth my time