PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Rusty Chains

jreiff
02-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Not sure where the best spot to post this, so i will try it here.

Just curious to what you all do with rusty log chains to clean them up? Is there a chemical/ solution to clean them up and take away the rust. Possibly putting a coat of paint on them to help keep the rust away? If anyone has any godd solutions that they use or have tried, would like to here about it. Thanks

sheshovel
02-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Yea there is a product sold in auto parts stores called RustOff and it will stop the rust on the chains and turn them a nice black protecting them from rusting more.I use it on my old tools I collect.

gammon landscaping
02-10-2006, 12:11 AM
gemplers.com sells a product for that

General Landscaping
02-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Drag it behind the truck on a dirt road, dust it off; then give it a shot of oil and keep it dry.

jreiff
02-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the help everyone, Will have to run and see if I can get some.

lx665
02-10-2006, 02:50 PM
We use floor wax to keep them from rusting. It's cheap and once dry does not make a mess. We've been doing this way in the fire dept. for years.

John

jreiff
02-10-2006, 05:55 PM
We use floor wax to keep them from rusting. It's cheap and once dry does not make a mess. We've been doing this way in the fire dept. for years.

John

John, you jsut put the chains in a bocket of floor wax or how do you go about applying it to the chains?

lx665
02-10-2006, 08:09 PM
We put a inch or so of floor wax in a bucket and dip the chains. We hang the chains on a rack and let them drip dry. It works great..try it.

John

YardPro
02-10-2006, 09:31 PM
vinegar overnight will clean the surface rust off them...

jreiff
02-10-2006, 11:03 PM
We put a inch or so of floor wax in a bucket and dip the chains. We hang the chains on a rack and let them drip dry. It works great..try it.

John

Do you need to clean the rust off first before you use the wax?

lx665
02-11-2006, 11:22 AM
We rinse the chains off with water after use and then dip them in floor wax. The coat of wax keeps the chains from rusting. It alos keeps you from getting dirty when handling the chains.

John

jreiff
02-11-2006, 01:06 PM
We rinse the chains off with water after use and then dip them in floor wax. The coat of wax keeps the chains from rusting. It alos keeps you from getting dirty when handling the chains.

John

How often do you coat them with wax? Thanks for all of your input, much appreciated.

jreiff
02-11-2006, 01:07 PM
Anyone paint there chains?

olderthandirt
02-11-2006, 02:08 PM
I throw mine in a bucket of old oil once a yr. Why are you worried about your chains rusting? if there in poor shape replace them other wise a little rust is inevitable.

Dirty Water
02-11-2006, 03:01 PM
We use System 7 (S7) chains...They sit outside all day and have never rusted. Perhaps ours have some sort of coating already?

System 7 was designed specifically to provide a light, yet strong chain for binding, tie-downs, towing and construction use. Made from a variety of medium carbon and alloy materials. Induction heat treated, the chain meets all requirements set by the DOT / CVSA / CHP for truck tie-down use. Yellow zinc finish.

lx665
02-11-2006, 06:29 PM
We coat them after each use. The only reason we do this is so you can stay halfway clean chaining a vehicle.

John

jreiff
02-11-2006, 08:22 PM
The chains are all fine. You just get sick of getting all dirty when the chains are all rusty.

miacharger
02-11-2006, 08:31 PM
I use muriatic acid to remove the rust. Be careful not to leave the chain in too long or it will be significantly weakened. After a little while in the acid, rinse with water and then soak in a bucket of water mixed with baking soda or plastering lime. You can also use oven cleaner to neutralize the acid. Let dry in the sun and you've got a rust free chain. You'll have to oil it or wax it to prevent future rust.

befnme
02-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Drag it behind the truck on a dirt road, dust it off; then give it a shot of oil and keep it dry.

this is the best way to do it imo.

gammon landscaping
02-26-2006, 12:47 AM
this is why i have 4in straps welded on the side of my trailers i use them for my skid and tractor. i can strap down a machine in my sunday best with out getting dirty

olderthandirt
02-26-2006, 01:04 AM
Usually if I'm strapping a machine down its to go to work and get dirty or I just finished work and I'm already dirty. Don't usually play with chains after I change with in to my sunday best