PDA

View Full Version : Nocutting - Can you explain something please

cpritch
02-09-2006, 10:36 PM
I read one of your posts where you said that it is a good thing to cut the grass really short and then let it grow for 14 days. I've been "raised" in the school of thought that for the health of most grasses, it is best to never cut off more that 1/3 of the total blade length. Can you explain a little of the philosophy/science behind this method?

Many Thanks.
Corie

nocutting
02-09-2006, 11:58 PM
I read one of your posts where you said that it is a good thing to cut the grass really short and then let it grow for 14 days. I've been "raised" in the school of thought that for the health of most grasses, it is best to never cut off more that 1/3 of the total blade length. Can you explain a little of the philosophy/science behind this method?

Many Thanks.
Corie
Hello Corie, yes its true, for the most part[ in general lawn maintance] not to cut more than 1/3 of growth at a time.............I'm sure I was answering a question regarding turf fungus / disease......As a cultural practice, I often suggest to cut very short [ to remove the disease & bag it], than let the grass grow out, by skipping a mowing [ usally 1 will do it], this often works, for leaf spot, rusts, molds & red thread.....Now you've treated the disease with out useing any synthetic chemical or organic fungicides, just by useing a "Cultural Practice"......now doesent that make sense,considering how fragile Old Mother Earth Is?................:waving:

cpritch
02-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Yes, that makes perfect sense! Thanks for the explanation!! I'm trying to learn as much as I can about organic care, so all of this information is great. Many Thanks!:)

cenlo
02-10-2006, 06:53 PM
As a cultural practice, I often suggest to cut very short [ to remove the disease & bag it], than let the grass grow out, by skipping a mowing [ usally 1 will do it], this often works, for leaf spot, rusts, molds & red thread.....

Will that really work? There is no way that a bagger can p/u everything so what about the disease ridden grass left behind. Also, don't most turf diseases effect more of the grass than just the upper blades?

cenlo
02-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Will that really work? There is no way that a bagger can p/u everything so what about the disease ridden grass left behind. Also, don't most turf diseases effect more of the grass than just the upper blades?

Still waitingcanada

sheshovel
02-15-2006, 01:33 PM
No it can.t work. like that at all

nocutting
02-22-2006, 02:03 AM
Yes as long as we arent talking about soil related disease.....air born disease is easily corrected in this method [ also irragation needs to be ajusted as well, usally stopped during this process]...... [ cool season turf varities-Blue, Rye, Course, Hard, Fine fescues]......Turf cultivars where this hasnt worked are Bent grass, zoyzia and some bunch type dwarf fescues.........very similar to treating peach leaf curl......prune out infected wood, fertilize with a very low "N", to promote new stem and stalk growth,remove fallen leaves often [ usally 3-times per week]...alter irragation to water from below or on the soil surface.......Juniper twig blight often can be controlled by adjusting the flow of sprinkler nozzels from hitting the branch & pruneing out the infected branch ends...........Pm me for more details if needed, not always around ....regards Saxon:waving:

nocutting
02-22-2006, 02:06 AM
No it can.t work. like that at all
And why not................................................................................................. .................................................................................................... ......................................