PDA

View Full Version : Redmax or Stihl???

nherweck
02-10-2006, 12:36 AM
OK...

I'm going to purchase a stick edger this year but can't decide between a Stihl or a Redmax. Last year I bought my first Stihl blower (BR420) and would never turn back to any residential item. My local dealer that I usually buy through doesn't have anything but Stihl for handheld equipment, but I've heard some pretty good things about Redmax Stick Edgers. What have you guys worked with and what would you recomend? Also...with stick edgers, what would be easier to work with; a curved shaft stick edger or a straight shaft? My trimmer rack works much better with straight shaft, but I can fix it up to fit a curved with no problem. :confused:

nherweck
02-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Another thing I like about the Redmax is the fact that they have a 2-year warranty for Commercial users as well as homeowners when Stihl only has a 1-year.

Envy Lawn Service
02-10-2006, 03:35 AM
Last year I bought my first Stihl blower (BR420) and would never turn back to any residential item. My local dealer that I usually buy through doesn't have anything but Stihl for handheld equipment

Well you know about the Quality of Stihl stuff, and your dealer obviously has a strong preference too, as almost all dealers carry atleast 2 lines.

So how does this dealer treat you?
If the answer is 'well' then it is a no-brainer.

As far as stick edgers go, the FC110 with the 4-Mix engine has the clear advantage also.

elshauno
02-10-2006, 04:03 AM
Redmax and Stihl are both great edgers. Is one brand better? Maybe its really just personal preference. What you need to look at is service. Are there more stihl dealers or Redmax dealers in your area. When you stuff breaks down your going to want to go right down the street and go to a shop that has the parts in stock and will get it fixed right away. Not next week or a few weeks from now. So figure out which one wokrs best for you and go with it.

6'7 330
02-10-2006, 04:18 AM
I have no knowledge pertaining to Redmax trimmers, only their backpack blowers.We use all Stihl trimmers and stick edgers.If the Sthil dealer is the better dealer, in the long haul it would be to your advantage,to go with Stihl.If Redmax blowers are any indication of their trimmers and edgers quality,I'm sure they are excellent edgers and trimmers.I know first hand, the Stihl 4-mix 110 is an excellent piece of equipment.It has low down power, that can cut though growth on sidewalks unedged in years.

nherweck
02-10-2006, 07:53 AM
My dealer is about 2 miles down the road for me, and usually gets my items fixed same day or next day. And whenever he cannot do that, he gives me a loaner to use while mine is getting repaired. The Redmax dealer is about 10 miles out of my area.

I'm going to go ahead with the Stihl now, but what would be better (if they have the options....) a curved shaft or a straight shaft?

Triple L
02-10-2006, 08:14 AM
straight shaft for sure, that a solid steel driveshaft instead of this cheap flex shaft crap, The straight shaft should last alot longer, that what I got, but I dont know about stihl. There loud, and really smelly. Some times my eyes water from the exhaust. But you won't notice it until the trimmer is about 1.5 - 2 years old. Atleast that how myn is. If I were you I would got with a honda if you got a dealer close by. Super quiet and there a 4 stroke, no smoke. That's on my list this year hopefully!

K&L Landscaping
02-10-2006, 08:56 AM
I have both and it seems to a split between the two. My preference is the Redmax HEZ2500S (straight shaft). However, some of the guy's reach for the Stihl FC-110 before the Redmax. I do know the Redmax starts quicker than the Stihl. I think you really need a straight shaft edger though. I was told it get's more power the cutter head.

DixieFerris
02-10-2006, 11:19 AM
not even a contest, do some searches on here but RedMax leaves them all in the dust

nherweck
02-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Well...today I went to my dealer and had him order the Stihl FC110 Stick Edger. It set me back $429.95+6% tax. The only problem I have right now is the fact it is the new 4-mix...I have never used one. Do any of you like the new 4-mix? Thanks again!

Precision
02-12-2006, 12:29 AM
4 mix is all I will buy now. Much better power, and so far no problems at all on my 3 pieces. In a month or so I am buying 6 pieces of stick equipment all Stihl and all 4 mix.

nherweck
02-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Precision - Awesome, this makes me feel MUCH more comfortable, hah. I almost bought myself a new trimmer but because it had the 4-mix, I didn't. Maybe I'll like it just as much as you and I'll run back out and grab the trimmer to match, lol. But thanks for your opinion!!

6'7 330
02-12-2006, 12:49 AM
not even a contest, do some searches on here but RedMax leaves them all in the dust

O--really,enlighten us as to why? I assume you are going by years and years of experience, owning and operating both machines.

Do any of you like the new 4-mix?

Excellent engine,4-mix is the only hand held we buy.Great low end power,we like the 4-mix a lot.

nherweck
02-12-2006, 12:53 AM
Excellent engine,4-mix is the only hand held we buy.Great low end power,we like the 4-mix a lot.

Awesome, two positives in 30 minutes, I guess listening to the more experienced lawnsite members paid off! :D

greenscapes,inc.
02-12-2006, 01:46 AM

I agree with you 100% RedMax makes a great product. I have in my shop stihl, redmax, shindawia, and husqvarna trimmers and blower. Stihl is the last thing I would use out of all of them. Stihl is much harder to start and they dont run as good.

Precision
02-12-2006, 11:47 AM
I agree with you 100% RedMax makes a great product. I have in my shop stihl, redmax, shindawia, and husqvarna trimmers and blower. Stihl is the last thing I would use out of all of them. Stihl is much harder to start and they dont run as good.

Stihl 2 stroke or stihl 4 mix? We are talking 4 mix here.

Do you maintain your equipment? Do you run it at full throttle, or do you let it build up soot by running it too cool?

4 mix has no starting problems on any of my 3 peices. The oldest is 18 months of solid use on a line trimmer. 7-10 hours of run time per week. and we cut 42 weeks per year, so I would say that is fairly well tested. so lets ball park it at 400 hours of no problems and great starting.

lawnmaniac883
02-12-2006, 12:09 PM
I have two pieces of 4-mix equipment right now, they have performed incredibly well and the low-end torque is unbelievable. Maybe the stihl 2 strokes were hard to start, but their new 4-mixes always have started within 3 pulls when cold, 2 pulls when warm.