PDA

View Full Version : J-thomas online???

Jason Rose
02-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Anyone else ever order from them through their website??? Man, what a joke! The on line catalog isn't user friendly at all and the search function didn't do anything... When the order is placed they don't even send you a confirmation email or anything. I actually used it just because I had about a dozen items to order and I thought it would be easier than over the phone. I called them after I placed the order to see if I could get some sort of confirmation that my order was even received.

Seems like on line ordering is the way everyone is going now, I'm surprised that a company as big as J-Thomas they wouldn't have a better site. Of all the sites Iv'e ordered from, large and small, they were the worst!

ThirdDay
02-10-2006, 03:46 PM
I have had great success with RCPW out of Ohio. They same to have almost everything in stock at very good pricing....

www.rcpw.com

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-10-2006, 04:19 PM
I dont have much of a problem with the site. I dont buy much from them, but I think their site fairly useful.

fga
02-10-2006, 04:36 PM
the prices at JT are ok, but the site intself is horrible, atleast by todays standards. maybe 5 years ago, that would be a nice online store.

search feature :rolleyes:
the site is basically a table of contents. not much for info on the itmes.

i like a site where you can clck on it, and get a better photo and actually information.

if you know EXACTLY what you need, then you should have no problem. but yes, a better site layout and function would be more $$ drawing.

lawnboy dan
02-10-2006, 07:02 PM
i agreer rcpw is great. so far everything i have ever ordered has been in stock! their shipping price is a little high though.

steve45
02-10-2006, 07:13 PM
I tried to order something online from them after reading about how good they were on this board. No confirmation of my order. Two weeks went by, no parts. I called them and they didn't get my order. They offered to take my order on the phone, but I declined.

I've been pleased with mowmore.com

cborden
02-10-2006, 08:58 PM
I always use the 1-800 number, that way you get a confirmation and the name of who took the order, never had any problem.

fga
02-10-2006, 09:29 PM
i agreer rcpw is great. so far everything i have ever ordered has been in stock! their shipping price is a little high though.
after reading this thread, i quickly priced an item on their. it was higher then anywhere else, and like you said, the shipping was higher then elsewhere. guess it depends on what you're buying.

but the site layout is better then JT.

since we're into online shopping:
anyone have a source for replacement LAwnboy bags? LB brand or cheap aftermarket, i don't care. JT has them for $19, which is good. just have heard bad things from ordering there.

Jason Rose
02-10-2006, 09:56 PM
I tried to order something online from them after reading about how good they were on this board. No confirmation of my order. Two weeks went by, no parts. I called them and they didn't get my order. They offered to take my order on the phone, but I declined.

I've been pleased with mowmore.com

Sounds like most have had similiar experiences... I too placed my order today and called they 1-800 number afterwords. the guy on the phone asked for my name and said they would call me when they receive the order. So far I have not received a call. Online ordering should be instantaneous to their server just like an email (of within a few minutes). The guy I talked too didn't really sound much like a phone operator, more like a guy standing at a parts desk. I was hoping for an immediate answer, as simple as punching my name into the computer or looking at recent ordered received, evidently it's not that streamlined for them, lol.

I have never bought from J-Thomas before, normally use landscaper pro for orders, but they didn't have everything I was looking for and I ws never impressed with their quality of air filters, so I thought I'd give someone else a shot.

echovalley
02-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Had lousy experience with them sent me the wrong parts but still charged me for shipping,10 weeks before they credited my CC.I spoke with the managment and they were no help.I will NEVER ORDER FROM THEM

Roger
02-10-2006, 11:16 PM
since we're into online shopping:
anyone have a source for replacement LAwnboy bags? LB brand or cheap aftermarket, i don't care. JT has them for $19, which is good. just have heard bad things from ordering there.

LawnBoy bags at this site. I've ordered supplies and parts from these folks and have been very pleased with service. Not all their stock comes from Warren, OH, much of it comes from a distributor in Columbus. But, it is usually 2-3 day UPS to SW PA.

http://www.power41.com/default.asp?Status=Search&SearchType=Mfg&SearchValue=Lawn-Boy&CartId=812276&AccountId=

I intend to order some LB side bags before the season begins.

JKOOPERS
02-11-2006, 04:12 AM
the people at j thomas are idiots placed 2 orders and they sent wrong parts twice . i said forget and went to my dealer.

LwnmwrMan22
02-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Take your prices from J-Thomas, or whatever online store, and go to the dealer.

Tell them "here's what I can do on the computer, what's your best price?"

Usually they'll get close enough to where you can't afford the shipping.

specialtylc
02-11-2006, 03:55 PM
I have had great service from J Thomas. I bought a complete 17 HP engine from them and was at my door in 3 days. Dealer said it would take at least a week from him.There are other catalog companies out there that have bigger selection of parts though. And I have had good service from all of them.

Runner
02-11-2006, 04:02 PM
I've used JThomas several times,.bit never ordering inline. I've always called in the order out of their catalog. They have been great with that. Once in awhile, we'll make a drive down there.

Jason Rose
02-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Well i'm glad to see at least ONE good comment about them.. lol. I'm a little concerned that I won't see my stuff or it's going to be half wrong now!

I checked the link for power equipment warehouse, wow, lots of selection and a NICE website but their prices are pretty high.

Iv'e had excellent luck with Landscaper Pro. Fast shipping and good prices on most items. They just have crappy air filters and didn't have all that I was looking for... So instead of paying shipping to 2 or 3 different places I looked for one that had everything I needed. Yeah, I should be buying everything from my dealer, but my dealer dosn't carry a lot of this stuff and i'm saving about half on filters. Sucks when they charge 8 bucks for an air filter and then another $6.00 for the foam wrap!!!

captken
02-11-2006, 10:23 PM
just a thank you to jason for changing his avatar...kenny:drinkup:
now if he could get some decent mowers.....
I have used J-Thomas before and had excellent results and good support from....just...calling them on the phone. I hope that is not too 80's ish.

Evergreenpros
02-11-2006, 10:57 PM
I've also found their site broken. 1st order I did I got a double order, 2nd order I did they never got it. Well, I'm dumb but not stupid so there was no 3rd online order. I just call them up and it's quick and easy, person I got was extremely helpful and it took about 2 min for the entire thing. Fax order worked too.

I order almost all my stuff online. I like to do it at night when I have time or the weekend. Driving around to dealers/shops and paying 30-50% more for an item, having to go to 3 different ones only to find out they have to order it anyway, 2-3-4-5 trips later after they got the wrong one, factor in $2.50 gas and it equates to nuts. There's about 100 things I'd rather be doing than driving around on a Saturday looking for some stupid part.

J Thomas needs to fix their website though, not sure what they're doing. Probably still stuck in the catalog ordering days that are quickly fading away. They'll soon be replaced.

MOOSE
02-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Ok Guys, Ilive about 10 minutes away form them. But 2 years ago I lived 1 hour away. It was easier to order and have shipped to me. But the only for you to get what you want is to CALL them. I placed an online order 3years ago and it never went through. I called 4 days later wondering what happened, nothing. Lady told me to call instead of the internet site.

So CALL them!

Jason Rose
02-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Well, just an update. I received my order today! Everything was excatly what I ordered and looked great. I did call them on monday morning to confirm that they received my online order and they had. It shipped out Monday and was here this afternoon. Shipping cost was reasonable too, they charge actual shipping rates based on weight and size instead of the cost of the items like many others do. On small light items like filters you get boned on shiping with the cost based type.

I guess there was one backorder item, a pair of rollers for my E-Z gate. Since it was under $10 according to the catalog it will be canceled instead of shipping it to me when they get it in stock.

Overall I'm happy, I think next time I will just call them though... The lady did tell me that a new and improved website is in the works.

lawnprosteveo
02-17-2006, 03:04 PM
I tried J thomas a couple of times last season...overall I wasnt too happy with them. Their prices are ok but their accuracy wasnt too good at all. Also the customer service people werent too helpful.

captken
02-17-2006, 04:53 PM
I tried J thomas a couple of times last season...overall I wasnt too happy with them. Their prices are ok but their accuracy wasnt too good at all. Also the customer service people werent too helpful.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=102200&highlight=hustler+clutch

I was very pleased with the customer support I received from J-Thomas over the phone. They bent over back-wards to help me find out which magstop clutch to buy for my Hustler Z when upgrading from the factory installed ogura.

Hustler provided me with THEIR part number for the clutch and it did not match what J-Thomas sold. However, the guy I talked to took my phone number and called me back, to sell me the right part.

It was then up to me to order the adapter kit from Hustler.....I saved a bundle by not buying this generic [magnetic clutch] from Hustler.

I even called magstop to get the manufacturers input, they could not help me....J-Thomas came through....kenny:)