PDA

View Full Version : Bulbs, Bulbs, and More Bulbs

Travisty
02-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Hey Guys,
Love the Forum. My question is with all the company's and bulbs on the market, I am a little confused :confused: as to which to use. I realize that everyone has there favorites that work for them. I am more concerned with spread, wattage, and color Tempurature (Kelvin) of the different bulbs. I have seen MR-16's with color tempeture ranging from 2900 to 4200 kelvin and was just curious about everyone's opinion on what they like. And while I am asking question is there a huge difference in using well lights that use the MR-16's or the PAR36 lamps?
And last, I have noticed some downlighting using some pretty big lamps that have moonlight feel to them. What type of bulbs are these?

Thanks so Much,
Travis:)

Travisty
02-11-2006, 04:07 PM
question about bulbs

Hey Guys,
Love the Forum. My question is with all the company's and bulbs on the market, I am a little confused :confused: as to which to use. I realize that everyone has there favorites that work for them. I am more concerned with spread, wattage, and color Tempurature (Kelvin) of the different bulbs. I have seen MR-16's with color tempeture ranging from 2900 to 4200 kelvin and was just curious about everyone's opinion on what they like. And while I am asking question is there a huge difference in using well lights that use the MR-16's or the PAR36 lamps?
And last, I have noticed some downlighting using some pretty big lamps that have moonlight feel to them. What type of bulbs are these?

Thanks so Much,
Travis:)

steveparrott
02-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Travis,

The MR-16's that we sell are all rated at 2800K while the PAR lamps are 3050K. Also, our tree lights use MR-16's. The MR-16's and PAR lamps are close enough in color temperature so you you can't tell the difference.

There are more daylight balanced MR-16's (that range from 4000K to 5000K) that appear more bluish and better approximate moonlight (4200K). These color tempertures can also be achieved by using colored filters on the MR-16's (half-daylight for moonlighting).

You'll find it dificult, however, to get a wide range of beam spreads and wattages for the daylight balanced MR-16's.

We find that the lower temperature MR-16's create beautiful lighting and provide a very natural rendering of light.

Also, never mix different color temperature lights on the same job.

Travisty
02-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Thank you for the info.