PDA

View Full Version : Dump insert or convert to flatbed dump?

Eclipse
02-10-2006, 03:46 PM
I am trying to decide between buying a dump insert or putting a dumping flatbed on my truck (Dodge 2500). In the end there is not a dramatic price difference between the two and even though the truck is only a SRW the flatbed dump does have more flexability.

I do not have a firm price yet on installing a flatbed dump but I'm predicting the cost will be somewhere between $3200-$3500 and an EZ Dumper insert with cab protector is $2397 + Tax. If I could find an affordably priced used EZ Dumper I would give it a try first but if I have to spend the money on a new one I'm thinking I might as well spend a little more on what I think is a more functional truck.

What do you think? Thanks.

NEUSWEDE
02-10-2006, 06:23 PM
With a dump insert you can buy a spreader attachment so it has functionality year round. I have a Downeaster insert and prefer it over the flat bed. Biggest reason is easy to pull out if I ever don't want to use it and I have the spreader attachment.
Just my opionion

Eclipse
02-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of the insert you mention. Is that a local company out your way?

NEUSWEDE
02-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of the insert you mention. Is that a local company out your way?

Downeaster is manufactured in Maine by Costal Metal Fab. They have the rights to build and sell the whole Downeaster line which consists of dump trailers, landscape trailers, spreaders and dump inserts. They distribute throught the United states. Other companies are truckcraft, Ez-dumper, Bri-Mar and Maxi dump. All are pretty much the same. Great products and can hold and lift 3 tons which is more than you could put in a pick-up truck.
Good Luck on your decision, if you need any help just give a shout!

salandscape
02-10-2006, 11:20 PM
I would suggest the insert purely for the weight issues, not talking the weight of the body but the GVW. I assume you would be putting a stack body on th flat bed, which will give you a large area to use, and employees will use it, all of it, which sounds great for efficency, but it is only a 2500. We all over load, but you load a 2500 like a 3500 or larger truck you asking for a new truck, or fines!

Gravel Rat
02-11-2006, 12:16 AM
I would say dumping flatdeck if you are looking for a dumping deck you can look at Ringo Hill.com they have dumping flats. I just looked at a 9' deck you can have it 6'6" wide or 7'6" wide for 3369.00 US funds.

From their website it says all you got to do is bolt the deck on run your 12 volt line for the hydraulic pump and hook up the tail lights and your ready to go.

I personally wouldn't go with the slip in box they add weight to your truck you figure a insert weighs 800lbs plus you add the weight of your P/U box your prolly another 500lbs so your up to 1300lbs.

Eclipse
02-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the information.

salandscape, point well taken.

NEUSWEDE, I have not heard of that particular manufacturer before, I will have to check on pricing of their units. I have looked at several now and my best dollar value right now is an EZ Dumper with cab protector for $2397 + Tax, and this is local so I do not have to drive to pick it up. Maxi-Dump local was $2925 out the door. I really like the Little Tipster but those are in excess of $3000.

In the information Gravel Rat provided they have a 9ft flat bed dump "kit" which prices out at $2307 but that is dealer pricing and I believe pricing from their old catalog. I will call tomorrow to get some additional details but that seems very promising as compared to buying a dump insert.

I am not against buying a dump insert but the pricing of new dump inserts just seems like a bit much for what you are getting, IMHO. So that is why I started considering this other alternative.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Gravel Rat
02-12-2006, 03:29 PM
With a flatdeck you can put any size sides on it you have more room also when your at the gravel pit or landscape depot you pick up material at decides to spill a decent size rock out of the bucket when loading you a flatdeck is more forgiving. With P/U boxes built out of the thinnest sheet metal a manfacturer can use it doesn't take much to put a good dent into the side of the box.

NEUSWEDE
02-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Dump inserts are pretty rugged. I sold my EZ-dumper that was like 5 years old, went through the ringer, the bottom had some dents but still held 3 tons and lifted it. The EZ dumper actually had better lift at 5 years old than the downeaster I have now.
2300 for the EZ dumper insert is a good deal. That is pretty much what I paid for my downeaster with cab protector and I got it from the factory! I just like the fact it can be taken out at any time. But another pro is resale, much easier to sell the insert if down the road you decide you don't want it anymore. Tons of people want them and sell for good prices used. I sold my 5 year old one for $900 and it was rusted and dents and scratches. The flat bed your going to have a harder time.
Just my $0.02