PDA

View Full Version : 4.5L LCF Ford or International

lawnspecialties
02-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Well, it's looking pretty good I'll be buying a new cab forward landscape truck next month. I discussed this possibilty in an earlier thread. I've seen the new LCF and it looks really nice. My only concern is reliability. The Isuzu and Fuso are pretty well established; the Ford not as much. I've always been a Ford guy and I want to buy new, but I haven't heard much of anything from anyone with the Ford. Does anybody out there have much experience with this new truck and the 4.5L? I'd love to hear any pros and cons. Thanks.

Smalltimer1
02-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Wakefield Ford has a couple of them as well as Capital in Raleigh, go see if they'll let you test drive one and then step around to the service bay and ask to speak to a diesel tech at either place and see what they have to tell you.

Or you could drop by Cardinal International on Blount St. in Raleigh and see what they have to say.

Let me say this before you go any further--parts and filters, etc. are MUCH cheaper from International than from Ford.

However, I've found even cheaper prices at Diesel Parts Center off US 70 W in Garner. 6.0 oil filters for $10, normally $25 at Ford, same quality.

lawnspecialties
02-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks Smalltimer. The other day I was at Crossroads where they had one already with an 18ft. landscape bed. Nice truck. I've not been to Wakefield or Capital yet. Bobby Murray has some Chevrolets (Isuzu) on the lot so I guess I'll at least give them a test drive. Sure haven't had much positive feedback on the Isuzu's, though. I'm definitely going to go to Cardinal before I finalize everything. They may even sell the LCF cheaper than the Ford. At least worth a try.

Never heard of Diesel Parts Center until now. Thanks for the tip.

TXLAWNBOY
02-10-2006, 09:23 PM
I know someone who bought a Ford LCF in '05 and had a custom landscape bed built for it. He has about 6 crews and always ran 3/4 ton Dodge's w/the cummins and 83"x18' landscape trailers. He told me he loves the LCF and is selling his Dodge's and getting the LCF's. No more pulling trailers and easier to find parking.

lawnspecialties
02-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks TX. That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

TXLAWNBOY
02-10-2006, 09:29 PM
FYI - He does mostly commercial props. and runs 3 guys to a crew. He did say that the LCF is not as comfortable as the pickups so the crews are ready to get out of them when they get to a job. This all equals less down time and more productivity.

TXLAWNBOY
02-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Also, the 4.5L in the LCF, I've heard rumor it may end up in the F-150 as a option.

lawnspecialties
02-10-2006, 09:37 PM
I've heard that rumor a bunch, too. As for the comfort; I make no money sitting on my butt as well.

Smalltimer1
02-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Also, the 4.5L in the LCF, I've heard rumor it may end up in the F-150 as a option.

It was supposed to be in the F-150's but it fell through because it couldn't meet '07 emissions requirements in that class of vehicle. There may be a revised one in the works for the F-150 though.

If the 4.5 were to go in the F-150 you'd see a lot of folks switching sides....mainly people looking for better mileage and towing with the ride of a 1/2 ton truck. Also with 440lb ft. of torque, the 4.5 PSD actually makes more tq. than the first 7.3 PSD did 11 years ago. It would be the first pickup to ever break the 400lb. ft. mark from the factory IIRC without being a sport/racing truck such as the Lightning or SRT-10.

Lawnworks
02-11-2006, 12:15 AM
FYI - He does mostly commercial props. and runs 3 guys to a crew. He did say that the LCF is not as comfortable as the pickups so the crews are ready to get out of them when they get to a job. This all equals less down time and more productivity.

I think a cabover will be much more comfortable driving than a pick-up and trailer. You don't have to take an advil after driving the thing to 20 stops a day.