PDA

View Full Version : Red Belly - for heavy duty mowing

OnMyOwn
02-10-2006, 08:14 PM
I picked this up for larger, heavier mowing jobs. Too often ZTR's are not enough, or the terrain is beyond what I feel comfortable mowing. I was just curious if anyone else is making use of old tractors and bush-hogs for their heavy jobs?

kirk brown
02-10-2006, 08:40 PM
i seen a really nice 8N on a website somewhere.
completly restored with turf tires and a woods belly mower.
looked awesome. doesn`t really relate to your question though...:)

METRO 36
02-10-2006, 08:58 PM
when the going get's tough i borro the neighbor's 9n

Ol'time Lawncare
02-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I picked this up for larger, heavier mowing jobs. Too often ZTR's are not enough, or the terrain is beyond what I feel comfortable mowing. I was just curious if anyone else is making use of old tractors and bush-hogs for their heavy jobs?
I was looking at one. the guy wants 1800. it hasn't ran in 10 years i'd say.the bush hogger goes with it.

TXLAWNBOY
02-10-2006, 09:11 PM
I have a Massy Ferguson 250 ( about 43hp tractor) w/a 5' bush hog I use for my heavy rough stuff.

green acres lawns
02-10-2006, 11:23 PM
I have a 48hp John Deere 4wd and 6 ft bushhog for the rough stuff. I also have a 6 ft belly mower for it, but the zero turns will mow circles around it. Now I only used it to cut muddy fields and ditches(in 4 wheel drive). I smoked the belt one time trying to cut thick fescue about 2 ft tall. Had to go get the bushhog. When trying to mow at 8 to 10 mph like the Scags do, the tractor bounces around to much and the blades don't turn fast enough to cut clean. Plus you loose to much time turning around.

MOZE4MUNY
02-11-2006, 08:35 AM
I don't use a tractor and a bushhog. I do use a 30 inch DR Field and Brush mower for maintaining ditches, lots, foreclosures or what ever reason someone neglects their property until the growth is waist high.

OnMyOwn
02-11-2006, 08:40 AM
I've thought about the DR several times. Do you like the performance of the machine?

Travis Followell
02-11-2006, 11:36 AM
I've thought about the DR several times. Do you like the performance of the machine?
We have one thats about four years old and I bet it hasn't been used 50 hours and its a piece of junk. The transmission has already been replaced once, the drive chain jumps off, and the long shaft on the deck that slides into the machine and allows the deck to articulate side to side broke off for no reason and had to be welded back. The machine is made all over with thin steel. Nothing is heavy duty on the and the 15 hp kawasaki engine is a piece of crap. I wouldn't recommend one.

Envy Lawn Service
02-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Just be careful on that thing.

We call all those types of tractors "WIDOWMAKERS" around here.
They have been the death of many a good man and experienced operator.

befnme
02-11-2006, 03:07 PM
we actually have a 130 farmall . its only good for light work though .the fast hitch is a plus.

Collin
02-11-2006, 03:27 PM

I have a Billy Goat Mower for brush and love it.

Collin
02-11-2006, 03:29 PM
we actually have a 130 farmall . its only good for light work though .the fast hitch is a plus.

I am just around the corner from you. I am in Coats.

65hoss
02-11-2006, 04:14 PM
I use my tractor a good bit. I have the 2000 ford. THE VERY FIRST THING YOU BETTER DO BEFORE YOU START BUSHHOGGING IS TO BUY THE OVERRUNNING CLUTCH FOR THAT TRACTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is referring to the widowmaker comment. That is very true, the overrunning clutch keeps the bushhog from pushing you over hills, thru fences, etc. Without the clutch, it doesn't matter how hard you stand on the brakes, the bushhog with run back thru the PTO and push the tractor. Its a small investment that is worth your life.

Envy Lawn Service
02-11-2006, 04:30 PM
In addition to that, those tractors don't have ROPS.
So you have to be particularly careful while hilling and towing.

Many have been crushed and killed by them in rollovers.

befnme
02-11-2006, 10:58 PM
I use my tractor a good bit. I have the 2000 ford. THE VERY FIRST THING YOU BETTER DO BEFORE YOU START BUSHHOGGING IS TO BUY THE OVERRUNNING CLUTCH FOR THAT TRACTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is referring to the widowmaker comment. That is very true, the overrunning clutch keeps the bushhog from pushing you over hills, thru fences, etc. Without the clutch, it doesn't matter how hard you stand on the brakes, the bushhog with run back thru the PTO and push the tractor. Its a small investment that is worth your life.

what is that ? like a 2 stage clutch that when pushed in a little will only dis-engage the pto ?

65hoss
02-13-2006, 08:02 AM
what is that ? like a 2 stage clutch that when pushed in a little will only dis-engage the pto ?
Its a coupler that goes over the PTO shaft. Works kinda like a ratchet. When you push the clutch in it lets the driveshaft freewheel with the bushhog blades without going thru the pto shaft into the tractor.