PDA

View Full Version : new home irrigation system questions

cvlm
02-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Wanting some advise on pop ups for new residential system 4" or 6" pop ups rain bird or toro and class 200 pvc or sch 40 and why how about it all of you veteran landscapers can you help me out it would be appreciated thanks.

bicmudpuppy
02-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Wanting some advise on pop ups for new residential system 4" or 6" pop ups rain bird or toro and class 200 pvc or sch 40 and why how about it all of you veteran landscapers can you help me out it would be appreciated thanks.
This forum includes a search engine for registered users.

PurpHaze
02-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Wanting some advise

First I'm gonna tell you that there are many correct ways to arrive at the same conclusion, a viable sprinkler system. You'll find that each of us has our favorite products and methods of installation and although they sometimes may sound contradictory they're actually all correct.

on pop ups for new residential system 4" or 6" pop ups

Depends on the type of grass they will be used on. On low-mow grasses (i.e. Bermudas, etc.) the 4" are recommended while on the tall-mow grasses (i.e. bluegrasses, fescues, perrenial ryes, etc.) the 6" would be recommended.

rain bird or toro

We use Toro 570s but Rainbird and Hunter also put out good products.

class 200 pvc or sch 40 and why

The general rule of thumb is SCH 40 pipe on pressurized main lines up to the valves and then CL 200 on the laterals after the valves. On a homeowner system it's really not gonna make much dfference. SCH 40 has a slightly thicker wall and will hold up better under shovels and other tools. CL 200 is thinner walled and will carry more water.

Then the "poly plow-boys" will give you advice on their method of piping.

CAL-LANDSCAPER
02-11-2006, 10:46 AM
From looking at your previous posts, you've had questions on related to running a new maintenance co and are still new.
Asking questions is how you learn some things
Doing the work is how you learn even more
As to finding answers to pvc systems for your area,
you might get more answers by going to a local irrigation supply store.
DO NOT go to the 'big box' stores !!!
There are two local supply store in your area that would answer your irrigation questions and give advise to products used in this area.
Ewing Irrigation south of Holiday Inn in Visalia on ave 304 and
West Valley Supply on Mooney Blvd south of Mooney's Grove Park
Both prefer to work with licensed contractors but do also deal with homeowners and those getting started in sprinkler system installs.
If your doing any installs or landscaping projects that are over $500
you are required to have a contractors license.

PurpHaze
02-11-2006, 10:59 AM
There are two local supply store in your area that would answer your irrigation questions and give advise to products used in this area. Ewing Irrigation south of Holiday Inn in Visalia on ave 304 and
West Valley Supply on Mooney Blvd south of Mooney's Grove Park.

Dang Tom, I missed that he was local to us. :)

bicmudpuppy
02-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Dang Tom, I missed that he was local to us. :)
Dang Hayes, you've been involved in lots of the threads where we have beat all his questions into submission and then death. I don't mind helping and answering questions, but for those to lazy to read a little and search, are we really doing any good?

PurpHaze
02-11-2006, 08:15 PM
BIC... guess you're right. I just can't shut up sometimes. :p

But... by answering others' questions it spurs me sometimes into reasearching things I haven't looked into in quite some time. Today I've spent time researching looped mains, precipitation rates, sprinkler performance factors, backflow handbooks and at least 10 other topics. I'm just so amazed at the wealth of Internet info on different subjects. Wished the WWW had been around when I was taking classes. :rolleyes:

bicmudpuppy
02-12-2006, 06:57 AM
BIC... guess you're right. I just can't shut up sometimes. :p

But... by answering others' questions it spurs me sometimes into reasearching things I haven't looked into in quite some time. Today I've spent time researching looped mains, precipitation rates, sprinkler performance factors, backflow handbooks and at least 10 other topics. I'm just so amazed at the wealth of Internet info on different subjects. Wished the WWW had been around when I was taking classes. :rolleyes:
You ain't just whistle' there, my kids are 12 and almost 11. The time I spend with them on this thing researching school stuff! They assure me on occasion that they are still taught how to use the library and its resources, but stop by even your local library these days and try to use a card catalog! Might as well stop by the nearest college and ask to borrow a slide rule. I am NOT that old. Funny, just saying seems to accent the lie. BUT, I'm NOT. Really I'm NOT. Just keeps sounding worse, doesn't it? I've used a slide rule. Still do math w/ pencil and paper by preference most of the time. I would still use DOS if given a choice. I remember when 4.77ghz was FAST. My program languages of choice were Cobol, Fortran, Pascal, and Basic. Base 2 and Base 16 aren't that hard and I would have to brush up, but I still know Hex.

Dad was an old supply Sargent, and he used to joke that he was the one who drew the rations for the Last Supper. Maybe now I have more perspective into things and understand a little better just how old you can feel as technology continues to thrust forward.

Answers it used to take a trip across town and hours to find are just minutes away, and that is with the home dial-up. With the broadband from my new desk at work, it seems like instant gratification. I even bitched that my new price list for '06 wasn't digital with one of my suppliers.

PurpHaze
02-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Funny thing you mention libraries. When I was in HS I took two semesters of Library Science. I figured it could only help me with future research and schooling. I can go into a library and use a card catalog (if they still use them) whether it's locally or up at Fresno State and maneuver quite nicely through the Dewey Decimal System. Had to do a paper once on palm trees and decided to take a day off work and go up to FSU's library. I even found a Masters Thesis on what I was researching. Problem is, I haven't been in a library in probably 15 years now due to the stuff available on the Internet.sporty

Dirty Water
02-12-2006, 01:55 PM
You ain't just whistle' there, my kids are 12 and almost 11. The time I spend with them on this thing researching school stuff! They assure me on occasion that they are still taught how to use the library and its resources, but stop by even your local library these days and try to use a card catalog! Might as well stop by the nearest college and ask to borrow a slide rule. I am NOT that old. Funny, just saying seems to accent the lie. BUT, I'm NOT. Really I'm NOT. Just keeps sounding worse, doesn't it? I've used a slide rule. Still do math w/ pencil and paper by preference most of the time. I would still use DOS if given a choice. I remember when 4.77ghz was FAST. My program languages of choice were Cobol, Fortran, Pascal, and Basic. Base 2 and Base 16 aren't that hard and I would have to brush up, but I still know Hex.

Dad was an old supply Sargent, and he used to joke that he was the one who drew the rations for the Last Supper. Maybe now I have more perspective into things and understand a little better just how old you can feel as technology continues to thrust forward.

Answers it used to take a trip across town and hours to find are just minutes away, and that is with the home dial-up. With the broadband from my new desk at work, it seems like instant gratification. I even bitched that my new price list for '06 wasn't digital with one of my suppliers.

Whats up with the huge GMC smiley? Jeeze.

Bryan, My stomping grounds was writing basic and Pascal programs on a 2 mhz Apple //C.

Good times.

PurpHaze
02-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Whats up with the huge GMC smiley? Jeeze.

I'm waiting for a Ford smilie. hammer

LandscapePro
02-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Haynes,

Easy there.....let's get specific. We need a "Powerstroke" smiley....... weightlifter

Mike
La. Landscape Contractor #2576

PurpHaze
02-12-2006, 10:06 PM
LOL... Now I'm an underwear brand. clapping

LandscapePro
02-12-2006, 10:15 PM
:o

<----------- Never clamed to be the worlds best typist......

"Soooo Sorry Hayes-san"........

Mike
La. Landscape Contractor #2576

PurpHaze
02-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Quite OK.

Now I see that the lime green borders are back on the posts. Don't know if I can take too much of that color. Sean must be screwing around again. :laugh:

And then I post and they're blue?????

cvlm
02-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks Cal-Landscaper and Purphaze for all the advise you guys are a class act by the way i am not a landscaper yet just doing maintenance the question was for my own lawn going to do some renovation and just looking for advise thanks again.

PurpHaze
02-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks Cal-Landscaper and Purphaze for all the advise you guys are a class act by the way i am not a landscaper yet just doing maintenance the question was for my own lawn going to do some renovation and just looking for advise thanks again.

You're welcome. When you get enough posts up and PM is unblocked for you feel free to PM me if you need more specific info.