PDA

View Full Version : gas

texas
02-11-2006, 08:51 AM
how do yall get gas? do yall tank up yur equipment every morning or do yall have yalls own tank? i could probably get a 300 gallon tank from my dad for a few hundred. payup

geogunn
02-11-2006, 08:56 AM
I gas at the pumps. I fill the mowers on the trailer and a 5 gal can as well as the truck.

GEO :)

grass_cuttin_fool
02-11-2006, 09:11 AM
I fill up each day and keep a 5 gallon can as a back up. Im a solo operator and If I were to buy gas in bulk, it may get old and stale before I used it all. Also you have the problem of someone stealing it. And some local restriction may require a containment system and a lot of red tape and extra paper work.Thats why I just buy what I need as I need it.

wayne

JB1
02-11-2006, 09:21 AM
We have three five hundred gallon tanks , one for gas, one for diesel and one for off road diesel works great for me.

rodfather
02-11-2006, 09:34 AM
500 gallon above ground tank for gas, plan on getting another one for diesel in the spring.

OnMyOwn
02-11-2006, 09:43 AM
We purchase all of our gas at the same station daily. We put it on one of their credit cards that gets paid off at month-end, but the dealer always gives us a volume discount of about $20.00, or so. Do you save this much money by spending money on a tank and bulk deliveries, or do you save more?

In addition, I know time is a factor, but I like being able to go to the gas station to buy ice and a cold pop for each morning. I would miss this if we started storing our fuel at location. I'm sure I lose a few minutes each day, but it builds relationships with the employees.

Richard Martin
02-11-2006, 10:12 AM
I fill up once a week in everything and carry 3 five gallon cans. I hate wasting time in the gas station.

MysticLandscape
02-11-2006, 10:20 AM
I fill up on sunday nights, fill the truck all the mowers and then carry 5 gallons on diesel and five gallons of gas for during the week.

jtkplc
02-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Being solo, I fill up at the end of every week for the next week. I go to the gas station and fill up the mowers and one 5 gallon gas can.

all ferris
02-11-2006, 10:41 AM
I fill up when I need gas

WildLake
02-11-2006, 10:46 AM
I believe having fuel delivered in bulk cost more per gal. It is much more convienient than going to the pump.

LwnmwrMan22
02-11-2006, 11:52 AM
I run solo, and only do commercial.

Each day I've got 1 or 2 properties that are within 1/2 block of a gas station, IF I'm not mowing the gas station itself.

I fill up when the mower gets empty, whatever day.

lawnboy dan
02-11-2006, 03:52 PM
truck -every 2 weeks -big toros-once a week . i buy my gas at sams club.

Scag413
02-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Does anyone know what a 150 gallon L-tank would be worth? It was used on a farm.

topsites
02-11-2006, 05:34 PM
I fill up once a week in everything and carry 3 five gallon cans. I hate wasting time in the gas station.

I hate wasting time, too! It's not just the constant stops, but every time I pull in to a service station, it hurts my fuel mileage as well, not to mention my hourly rate goes to the dump. So I gas up once / week on Monday (sometimes tuesday), whatever goes in the tanks has to last through at least the first thousand dollars worth of business. That's 20 gallons can fit in the truck, and I have two 5-gallon containers I keep.

Now the equipment needs further fueling, the truck does ok most of the week, sometimes I have to add 10 bucks come Friday or Saturday... But for the equipment, I always top everything off at the end of the day (from the cans). The mower lasts all day on a tank easy, the weed-eater goes around 8 yards on a tank and the backpack goes 3-4 days on a tank. I keep a quart of mix fuel on the truck just in case but all the rest of the fuel stays in a cool, shady place, as I got tired of boiling my fuel in the sun.

This also helps me keep track of things, I find it easier to prevent myself from wasting / using too much fuel, and I know at once if I am.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
02-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Right now fill up when we need it. Usually, once a day or every other day. Also carry a two 5 gallon cans.